+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin

New Member BubbleTrouble is an unknown quantity at this point BubbleTrouble's Avatar

Why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin

Folks, just a quick theoretical question as I am on the path of qualifying purchasing a rebreather.

If you had the following variables, why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin or equivalent rebreather?
    - limited funds (around $3-4k) - so second hand one is a good way.
    - wanted to keep diving within rec limits now, while gaining valuable exp with RBs for later conversion into CCR
    - increase exposure to marine life
    - regimented approach to maintenance
    - gain gas extension capabilities (I like my gas)

Before you say it, yes I have been an ardent reader of the rebreatherworld.com forums. I realise an SCR is not perfect but within rec limits does provide a cheaper way to start with rebreathers and does give benefits that OC does not. I don't want to spend cash and lug a set of doubles on my back ... seems like a waste.

cheers
    Mike
    * All the fish on the reef disappear
    * You see the boat pass you as you're going down the shot line.

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Re: Why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleTrouble
    Folks, just a quick theoretical question .
    Well that is this thread over.:p
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleTrouble
    Folks, just a quick theoretical question as I am on the path of qualifying purchasing a rebreather.
    If you had the following variables, why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin or equivalent rebreather?
    - limited funds (around $3-4k) - so second hand one is a good way.
    - wanted to keep diving within rec limits now, while gaining valuable exp with RBs for later conversion into CCR
    - increase exposure to marine life
    - regimented approach to maintenance
    - gain gas extension capabilities (I like my gas)
    Before you say it, yes I have been an ardent reader of the rebreatherworld.com forums. I realise an SCR is not perfect but within rec limits does provide a cheaper way to start with rebreathers and does give benefits that OC does not. I don't want to spend cash and lug a set of doubles on my back ... seems like a waste.
    cheers Mike
    Hi Mike (sorry), welcome aboard glad to see you will be reducing your bubble blowing, even if only by a bit.

The Dolphin, Ray, Azi and other SCR's have their place, what that is will depend on the type of diving you do and who you dive with.

I didn't like the Dolphin at all in SCR mode. I admit it does its job and all was good but not the right tool for me. Making the dolphin fully closed (CCR) was where I was heading anyway so no problems.

The reason I disliked it was for the passive addition. Constantly filling the lung and having to vent gas made my buoancy see-saw all over. I finally got to the stage where I would vent myself in advance to help level it out.

Some people don't like having to get nitrox, or change jets, check flow rates every time they change depth range.

With regard to not wanting to spend money on the twins or lug them around it won't be too different. You will need to carry more weight to compensate for the rebreather and you will need to take a bailout bottle for all but the shallowest bimble dives. There will be more fussing with equipment. A decent set of twins will take care of most things a Dolphin can do, and do it much simplier.

Now if you wanted a CCR dolphin, that would bb a different story. Drop me an email if you are interested in either a second hand Dolphin or a complete working CCR Dolphin.

Hope that help.

Steve so funny but not so helpfull.
    Last edited by wizbang; 20th March 2006 at 09:03.

New Member BubbleTrouble is an unknown quantity at this point BubbleTrouble's Avatar

Now if you wanted a CCR dolphin, that would bb a different story. Drop me an email if you are interested in either a second hand Dolphin or a complete working CCR Dolphin.
    It's Mike... but I may be sharing a nickname with someone else. Notheless I would be interested in exploring your statement. In other words, gimme more info. Your idea sounds intriguing.

cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Well that is this thread over.:p
    Ok ok ... maybe it's more practical than I thought. But it would be good to understand the "why not" as well as the "why", don't you think?

Andrew Martin Ward AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW's Avatar
    KISS

Nome brew side mount

The Dräger dolphin is a good simple to use SCR, but has limitations (depth/duration) what it is good for is a starting point to convert it to MCCR.
    Andrew.

Holger Berghäuser TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300's Avatar
    TR300

Submatix

Hi,
    yes me too, I dive the Dolphin in mCCR therefore it is realy simple, but with just a few changes I can switch it back to SCR (if I got at my holiday divecenter only Nitrox)
    So I can use it everywhere.
    Also, you get on the most divesites small cylinders who are perfect to fit with the Dolphin.

If your funds is limited, so there will be not so much possibilities.

The only reason in not buying a Dolphin, is if I had enough money then I would buy a real mCCR (like Sports KISS, Classic KISS). (sorry for not quoting any eCCR, but I am an computer analyst and dont trust any programmers :D )

whats also out there in SCR:
    the Voyager, hmm big heavy rig, OTS, support very poor from Italy, it is only diveable in mCCR mode too (dont try it in SCR is horrible )

the Submatix, hmm lightweigt rig (equal Dolphin), but limitation with the cylinder, good rig in mCCR mode too.

Azimuth , hmm heavy rig, lots of gas, really nice, but if I can get a Dolphin, I will take the Dolphin

Holger

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

For me - the only reason I would not if I had $3k to $4k to spend would be as I could probably get a Sport kiss for that money....

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    For me - the only reason I would not if I had $3k to $4k to spend would be as I could probably get a Sport kiss for that money....
    ..and you could get one from me for $4K :)

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    So now tell me please what's so goog about the Sport KISS? I suffering from info overload at the moment, but reading some of the technical/engineering solutions that are inbuilt into the PRISM Topaz, I wonder if there is anything as good as that.

My primary interest in the Draeger is that is it obtainable with my current funds, say 2-2.5k for a second hand unit, then another 2k for training and maybe some upgraded electronics. This would get me started on the rebreather path, even if not perfect I wuld certainly start racking up the kind of experience you'd need to take it later to a CCR.

cheers
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast