+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin Travel Case Suggestions?

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

Dolphin Travel Case Suggestions?

Ok UPS managed to crush my ZAG case and I have not been able to find a replacement case for my dolphin. Anyone have an idea for a lightweight case with rollers that I can use for travel? Pelicans are clearly bombproof but also weigh enough to cause baggage weight problems. I'm open to suggestions.

TITAN-ITE grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52's Avatar
    pearl city hawaii EARTH moving to Iscandar

Re: Dolphin Travel Case Suggestions?

if you want the same case try W+S Water Safety Europe GmbH - Online Shop - Seit 1999
    or go with a pelican, also...what i just did...i got one from home depot...almost the same case cept, more ruggedized, and alot cheaper
    Last edited by grandizer52; 3rd September 2006 at 08:52.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

You might try these guys.

http://www.stormcase.com/

I did a _little_ research a while back and I think they had a case that closely matched the dimentions of the ZAG and it was a lot lighter than the Pelican.

Steve
    Last edited by 4ster; 21st August 2006 at 16:43.

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

Thanks for the ideas, here is what I ended up doing. The Pelican is a great case (Pelican 1610 works great) but weighs almost 23 lbs just by itself. The Stormcase weighs a bit less at 16.8lbs (Stormecase im2720). With the airlines now getting a bit rediculous on the weight issues I was trying to stay under the 50lb limit if possible. I ended up buying a Pelican 1610 for local trips as the cases are built like tanks and it works great. For traveling I picked up a rubbermaid storage container (weight 6lbs) with some minor mods. I drilled a series of holes through the lip on the lid so I could run a steel security cable to lock the box. I then used a small collapsable wheeled cart to roll the thing around (I was going through a number of Airports). I did not check the foldup cart but instead used it to wheel my carry on with regs, etc. around. Worked pretty well with the right container. It took some time to find one that worked because some of the cheaper containers warp in the sun and others can shatter if impacted. Thanks for the ideas!
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by obakesan82
    For traveling I picked up a rubbermaid storage container (weight 6lbs) with some minor mods. I drilled a series of holes through the lip on the lid so I could run a steel security cable to lock the box. I then used a small collapsable wheeled cart to roll the thing around (I was going through a number of Airports). I did not check the foldup cart but instead used it to wheel my carry on with regs, etc. around. Worked pretty well with the right container. It took some time to find one that worked because some of the cheaper containers warp in the sun and others can shatter if impacted.
    What a great solution! You wouldn't happen to remember the type of rubbermaid container you used?

In my post yesterday I got the case manufacturer wrong. Scuba Diving magazine did a report on travel cases a while back and one of their top choices for a hard case was Underwater Kinetics Watertight 1127 Transit Case.

I still like your solution better.

Prism II

I was carrying all my OC tech gear along with my dolphin so I literally needed every pound :) I will go and grab it and post measurements, etc. as soon as I am back home (3 days). Seemed to do the trick and helped cut the excess baggage charges to the sorb I was bringing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    What a great solution! You wouldn't happen to remember the type of rubbermaid container you used?

In my post yesterday I got the case manufacturer wrong. Scuba Diving magazine did a report on travel cases a while back and one of their top choices for a hard case was Underwater Kinetics Watertight 1127 Transit Case.

I still like your solution better.
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Prism II

I also see the Underwater Kinetics case weighs 26 lbs. Of course you can simply pay the extra baggage fee but since I was taking multiple flights with layovers, the cost was going to be $100+ each way, hence the extra work.
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Quote Originally Posted by obakesan82  View Original Post
    I also see the Underwater Kinetics case weighs 26 lbs. Of course you can simply pay the extra baggage fee but since I was taking multiple flights with layovers, the cost was going to be $100+ each way, hence the extra work.
    ever tried a Alu-Box?
    here in germany we have Boxes called ZARGES in pretty much all sizes you need, and they are more durable than Pelican Boxes.

cheers!

Gadget guru extrordinaire tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen's Avatar
    Dive Rite O2ptima

Dräger Dolphin SCR

Quote Originally Posted by obakesan82  View Original Post
    Thanks for the ideas, here is what I ended up doing. The Pelican is a great case (Pelican 1610 works great) but weighs almost 23 lbs just by itself. The Stormcase weighs a bit less at 16.8lbs (Stormecase im2720). With the airlines now getting a bit rediculous on the weight issues I was trying to stay under the 50lb limit if possible. I ended up buying a Pelican 1610 for local trips as the cases are built like tanks and it works great. For traveling I picked up a rubbermaid storage container (weight 6lbs) with some minor mods. I drilled a series of holes through the lip on the lid so I could run a steel security cable to lock the box. I then used a small collapsable wheeled cart to roll the thing around (I was going through a number of Airports). I did not check the foldup cart but instead used it to wheel my carry on with regs, etc. around. Worked pretty well with the right container. It took some time to find one that worked because some of the cheaper containers warp in the sun and others can shatter if impacted. Thanks for the ideas!
    Does the dolphin fit in the Storm Case im2720?

Also, does anybody know the weight of the Dolphin without the tank? The specs list the dolphin as being 37.5 lbs, 2.2 lbs in water. I have to imagine that is with the 27 cu ft tank. What is it's travel weight, without tank?
    Last edited by tamorgen; 29th January 2007 at 12:39.

rEvo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by tamorgen  View Original Post
    Does the dolphin fit in the Storm Case im2720?

Also, does anybody know the weight of the Dolphin without the tank? The specs list the dolphin as being 37.5 lbs, 2.2 lbs in water. I have to imagine that is with the 27 cu ft tank. What is it's travel weight, without tank?
    I just picked up a 2750 for my Dolphin. This is the same case except it is 2.7 inches deeper than the 2720. You might get the 2720 to work. I can't take pictures today but will try and post some tomorrow with an eye to scrunching it down to show if the smaller height case will work. I'll try and remember to throw my bathroom scale in the truck as well to get some weight data.

Storm case specs:
    http://www.stormcase.com/StormSizeList.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast