+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key West help needed

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

Key West help needed

Ok so I am traveling to Miami with my family, for 2 weeks in July, My wife wants us to travel to KW, and spend a night or two. But she wants a hotel that we can walk around at night, and faces the ocean so we can go swimming.
    I also want to dive the vandenburg with my rebreather, so need help with a rb friendly boat, and maybe some S.C.R.U.B.S to dive with.

Who can help me out????

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: Key West help needed

I often organise trips down there. I can also provide sorb, fills, tanks etc.

I use captains corner mostly, as they will let my group do whatever we want and my buddy Liber (OC tech) works there.

Not so sure about sea view hotels, the waterfront is very commercial. I find the best hotels are on the backstreets, which is also where all the history and unique architecture is. The best KW beaches are a quick walk away from most hotels.

I would recommend stopping in Key Largo to do the Spiegel too (if you havent done it a thousand times already)

Much better wreck. More marine life, coral growth and usually better viz and less current. The vandy has been practically undiveable this week due to high current.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: Key West help needed

Quote Originally Posted by dragerdiver  View Original Post
    My wife wants us to travel to KW, and spend a night or two. But she wants a hotel that we can walk around at night, and faces the ocean so we can go swimming.

Who can help me out????
    Dragerdiver, not sure if you've been to KW before, but there aren't many hotels that are on the beach, and especially not within walking distance of the night life, which would be on Duval Street.

Right off the more lively end of Duval Street, I believe there's a Hyatt and the Ocean Key Resort. I don't believe they have beaches, but they do have have nice pools with a view of the bay, but you will pay a nice premium for these hotels.

On the oppisite end of Duval Street (further away from the evening action), there are a couple of really nice hotels too. I believe The Reach Hotel has a private beach behind it, and the Casa Marina Hotel, which is a bit further away, but also has a nice little beach behind it.

There are probably others, but there not coming to mind right now.

As Chris indicated, you may want to consider going the bed and breakfast route, because many of them are within easy walking distance to Duval Street, and they can be quite nice. I was recently there and stayed at the Heron House. It's about a block off Duval Street, the rooms are decorated in the old key west style, and it has a nice little pool in the courtyard surrounded by the rooms, so you can take a nice dip in the pool in the evenings while you enjoy a cocktail.

There's lots of other hotels and b&b's, so when you eventually search for a place, be careful, because you'll find lots of hotels at great prices, but be weary of the location, because many of them are far away from Duval.

With regards to the diving, Chris' advice sounded pretty solid to me!

+ Reply to Thread