+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cayman and or Cozumel recommendations?

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Cayman and or Cozumel recommendations?

Any current recommendations for CCR friendly dive shops and hotels on Grand Cayman and or Cozumel?

Does Sunset House on GC still support CCR?

My wife and I have dove O/C in Cozumel many times but never on CCR.

Looking to do this trip in July (that will be 6 1/2 months post bilateral knee replacements so really looking forward to it )

Any recommendations and or cautions greatly appreciated.

Marc

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Re: Cayman and or Cozumel recommendations?

I was just there from Feb 12 - 19 this year and used Duncan Heard at Stingray Watersports in West Bay (just 2 driveways past Sun Divers on the left). I stayed over on the east side, so Duncan just rented me 2 Dil and 2 O2 cylinders & a 30cf B/O (I brought my own sorb with me, but he has sorb too). I was able to then dive wherever I wanted to without worrying about additional support. I thought Duncan was a good guy to deal with and fun to talk to. With advanced notice, you can dive behind his condo. He also has condos to rent, in case you need a place. StingRay Water Sports® - #1 for diving on the Cayman Islands info@caymanstayed.ky
    GC # 1-345-929-9622

DiveTech also has support & will allow you to take cylinders off premises. If you don't rent your gear from them, they won't allow you to dive from their docks. (fair enough, I guess)

AFAIK, Sunset House does not have support and sometimes will not let you dive from their place. If that happens, just call Duncan and he'll sort it out and you'll be good to dive there.

Also be aware that shore diving is a looooong swim out and nothing to really look at (most times) on the bottom before you get to the reef. If you stay on the surface though, it seems even longer. Boats - - unless you're on a tech dive, your times & depths are limited to SOP's of rec diving. Plus not all boats will let you on with your rebreather, so be sure to ask. DiveTech of course will, Ocean Encounters will (but rec limits). Red Sail will not.

HTH

Franco

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Deep Exposure on Cozumel. Don Labruzzo is a poster on this site and dives a RB. Boosted O2 and sorb available. Great operation.

Atitlanccr is an unknown quantity at this point Atitlanccr's Avatar
    Evolution Plus

Classic Inspiration

Cozumel try Las Lunas B&B Inn Cozumel Mexicol oliver and Janie
    Keith

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Favorite hotel on Coz is Barracuda. Closest beachfront hotel to town and very inexpensive. All rooms with balcony, and you'll see dive gear hanging from every one of them. Nice beach with an interesting shallow shore dive you can do anytime. And the pool bar next door is the hangout for the cruise ship crews while in port, so the "scenery" is excellent.

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

You might try PMing Etienne Rousseau (attchoum on CDF) who lives in Coz and guides in the caves there. Fun guy whom I met when he was doing his rEvo instructor certification. And what could be more fun than a guide in Mexico with a French accent?

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Thanks all for the info and recommendations.

Looks like it will be Grand Cayman not Cozumel, and Divetech seems to be very accomodating in terms of rental tanks, fills and sorb. Now we just have to plan around Kids week there and all should be good.

S. Marc

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Marc,

Give up a try on ypur new Cozumel trip.

Don

Hunter Anderson HuntsDesk is an unknown quantity at this point HuntsDesk's Avatar
    2.7 Apecs Meg w/ X Link

HammerMeg

Quote Originally Posted by Atitlanccr  View Original Post
    Cozumel try Las Lunas B&B Inn Cozumel Mexicol oliver and Janie
    Keith
    Agreed. They were a lot of fun. Also showed us some local sites.

DiveTech for the Caymans.

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Nat Robb of Indepth watersports on Grand Cayman supports rebreathers, he can do O2, Trimix, scrubber material and will rent you all the cylinders you need. He also has the coolest dive boat in history - and ex navy seal assault RIB - it's wicked fast.

Indepth Watersports - Grand Cayman Scuba Diving on a One-of-a-kind Converted Navy Seal RIB

Also big up's to DiveTech (you want to talk to Steve Tippetts there) and Stingray watersports (talk to Duncan Heard).

Shore diving from Sunset house on rebreather is usually fine as long as you take a cert card (and leave a tip!) though they do not supply any fills or scrubber there, you'll need to sort that from one of the 3 organisations listed above. I live 200 yards down the road from sunset and frequently dive CCR off there. Having said that, it isn't my favorite shore dive, though it's ok for shallow photography stuff.

For me the best shore dives are:
    Conch Point on north west point (great mini wall)
    Divetech at Lighthouse point (easiest shore access to the main wall)
    Divetech at Cobalt Coast (bit of both).

Finally if you fancy it you're welcome to drop me a PM and we can arrange to meet up with some of the other local rebreather divers for a beer to fill you in on the local knowledge.

Hope that helps, have a great trip.

Cheers
    Nick