+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Changing to Lithuim Scooter Batteries

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Re: Changing to Lithuim Scooter Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by fireman  View Original Post
    This pack is 14 lbs. which is almost certainly too heavy for fresh water, and may be too heavy for salt also, and it's 8 cells in series. The full charge voltage will be 8 x 3.65 volts = 29.2 volts

That exceeds rated voltage for the Sierra Motor control electronics.

Tobin

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

+1 vote for ping battery. of the five scooters I personally know were converted to liFe02, all work like a charm (both 24 and 48 volts), with a lot more duration than lead acid or nimh.

go ping!

John

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Hi Lance,

We have successfully used these 25.9V 40Ah LiPo batteries (of which I still have some new ones in stock..) and these were used in our Cocklbiddy push... in our Sierra scooters... (see.. http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=26035 )

We created our own waterproof bulkheads as they are bigger than the standard batteries...

With some perspex cutting, they also fit into the N19 bodies also...

Cheers, JDZ
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jdz; 29th March 2011 at 04:47.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdz  View Original Post
    Hi Lance,

We have successfully used these 25.9V 40Ah LiPo batteries (of which I still have some new ones in stock..) and these were used in our Cocklbiddy push... in our Sierra scooters... (see.. http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=26035 )

We created our own waterproof bulkheads as they are bigger than the standard batteries...
    Is that a Standard or long body Sierra?

Tobin

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Standard..

Cheers

Standard..

Cheers

Really?

The pack in the picture appears much too long to fit between the battery snap ring and the nose of the scooter in a standard Sierra.

There's only about 6 Inches from the snap ring groove to the end of the scoot and this groove cannot be moved.

I also note that your bulkhead has no apparent penetrations. If this bulkhead is water tight how do you route the battery leads to the motor?

Tobin
    Last edited by cool_hardware52; 29th March 2011 at 06:30.

rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Hi Tobin,
    Yes the length of the battery does go past the original collar as they are longer..
    So I made up a new collar with oring and used the supplied circlip...
    and I routed the cable through the bulkhead as normal..
    The photos are the pre trip ones as I'm on the work computer...
    I sealed the collar on with sikaflex.. and yes, I cannot retro the old battery without removing the new collar.. but then I don't intend too....
    Cheers..
    Attached Images

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Hi Tobin,
    Yes the length of the battery does go past the original collar as they are longer..
    I sealed the collar on with sikaflex.. and yes, I cannot retro the old battery without removing the new collar.. but then I don't intend too....
    Cheers..
    It would be nice if the standard were just 2" longer then it could accommodate just about any pack. Even a $100 NiMh E-bike pack for those on a budget. The Cuda is running into the same problem but is a bit more flexible but could stand to be just a few inches longer to accommodate more economical battery packs.

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

Hi Tobin,
    Cheers..
    Hi, could you provide some more details regarding the battery pack (type of cells, size ect)
    did you make the pack using spot welding?
    thxs
    George

rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Hi,

I gave the required brief to a battery co... www.yuntong-batt.com and they were extremely helpful in meeting my requirements..

The final size was 265x105x132mm and this fitted neatly into the tube and I added packing around the battery to prevent unnecessary movement..

Also, the weight of the battery and the bulkhead was just under 6kgs and hence we kept the scooters neutral... in fresh water..

Cheers..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast