View Poll Results: How do you feel about a recreational SCR needing only a Nitrox certification?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great for the diving industry

22 61.11%
  • Will it get more recreational divers getting Nitrox certified

1 2.78%
  • Will it then take these divers to more techinical courses

5 13.89%
  • Step backwards for tek industry

8 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New SCR - GEM

RBW Member Worlddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Worlddiver's Avatar

New SCR - GEM

Divetech in Grand Cayman has one of the first GEM SCR's. The unit runs off a 32% Nitrox tank and gives the diver a 3-4 hour run time at a max 130 feet. Steve Tipps of Divetech is the first instructor trainer on the unit. KISS rebreathers is in full production. Divetech has 2 units for rent and training. All you need is a Nitrox certification to get trained.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: New SCR - GEM

Not much different than what was required for my Dolphin SCR training. Nitrox first and then the Dolphin class.

I read the poll as meaning that there was no further training, past the nitrox course, required to dive the GEM.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member RC is an unknown quantity at this point RC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Worlddiver  View Original Post
    Divetech in Grand Cayman has one of the first GEM SCR's. The unit runs off a 32% Nitrox tank and gives the diver a 3-4 hour run time at a max 130 feet. Steve Tipps of Divetech is the first instructor trainer on the unit. KISS rebreathers is in full production. Divetech has 2 units for rent and training. All you need is a Nitrox certification to get trained.

What size tank is that run time based off of, an aluminum 80?

RBW Member Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,KISS Explorer, KISS GEM

rEvo,Dolphin. Ray. KISS Sport.

It's great for the diving industry.

There will certainly be a training course for the GEM.

Limits currently are:
    No-Decompression Limits:
    You can work these out from your Open Water course right?
    (you'll not be getting 3-4 hours at 40m)

Current Training Limits:
    Open water certified 18m.
    Advanced / Deep 30-40m depending on agency.

Micropore EAC duration:
    Cold Water 4C/39F = 2 Hours.
    Moderate Water 10C/50F = 3 Hours.
    Warm Water 24C/75F = 4 Hours.

CNS Toxicity Limits:
    Max PO2 of 1.6 based on the nitrox mixture in the cylinder. 32% is the lowest FiO2 supported so max depth is 40m.
    Time limits at a given PO2 also apply, as per nitrox use.
    A diver learns all about these limits on a Nitrox Course.

Cylinder Duration:
    The unit vents approximatly one third of your exhaled gas, so you can expect to get 2-3 times the duration of a given cylinder compared to OC.

This is a very simple system. Very very easy to setup and dive.

Thinking from a sport diving recreational perspective (No deco, no overhead env) what other pre-requisites are needed apart from Nitrox training?

Hyperoxia risk is no greater than OC nitrox.
    Hypoxia risk is low. You'll run out of volume in the bag before the loop goes hypoxic provided you're not swimming like a nutter on the surface. (Training emphasises that you do not breath from the loop at or near the surface).
    EAC's are great for mitigating hypercapnia issues caused by bad packing of the scrubber.

So you do need to do a course to learn how to dive the unit and learn about rebreathers. Counterlung positioning, CO2 issues etc. It's not hard, the unit is a breeze to dive.

+ Reply to Thread