+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: My very own snivel thread

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: My very own snivel thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I decided to post about my cell routine and update this thread.

Yesterday during my 30' deco hang, my #4 cell became current limited to around 1.02-1.03. This was my oldest cell and was installed on 8/11/10 making it 2years-2months-10days since It was put into service. I don't know what the actual purchase date was but the serial number tells me that it was produced on March 2010.

I am no longer replacing cells until it actually decides to be faulty. I use 4 cells and see no need to waste my money by throwing out a perfectly good and functioning cell.

If all cells are from a different batch
    If all cells are different ages
    If you are checking spiking all cells over setpoint on descent (few do this but i think its a major safety advantage)

then what you are proposing is ok.

I never throw cells out just because of their age. Age is an INDIRECT indicator of cell condition. New cells can fail. The best indicator of cell condition is to just test them.

I have no idea how old cells are - but i know what their state of CL is.

Having said all that I have lost two intelligent and highly experienced friends from o2 convulsions and drowning due to diving with all old (similar age) cells. Cells that they claimed to be checking as described....but cells that failed due to CL during a dive (on multi dive day) These guys knew what they were doing and were as clear as you on cell failure and monitoring...but they still died.
    Last edited by Drmike; 23rd October 2012 at 04:48.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

If you are checking spiking all cells over setpoint on decent.

I wish I knew what this means. Do you simply run them up to 1.6 or so to see how it goes?

I don't think that I have owned good cells yet.

Ocassioned by a wonky cell I was startled to find that my oldest, not the problem one, was installed 19 months ago. I chart the cells' MV at ambiant and at 100 O2 for most dives, and had lost track of when I had put them in, never mind born date.

For a while I was diving them fairly often and usually would flood them with O2 on the way out. As all dives end with lots of leftover O2 I suppose it makes sense to blow off some on the way down. It feels wrong though.

I think I am about to switch brands to the new British ones. As they have a much faster refresh rate than the ones I have been using, it looks like I am stuck with having them all from the same batch. It has taken some time to get to the point of having cells from different batches, and now I have only old cells.

It seems that I should get some sort of a cell checker, and perhaps improve my book keeping.

Still at this point I think three cells are enough and that having an idea of the health of the cells based on their recient behaviour is all I really got when down there.

Peter

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    If you are checking spiking all cells over setpoint on decent.

I wish I knew what this means. Do you simply run them up to 1.6 or so to see how it goes?
    At the end of my predive checks i should have a loop full of o2, also my habit is to manually inject o2 whenever at the surface be that on the dive deck gearing up or in the water at the surface swimming for the boat/bank (ensures safety) - either way i usually naturally end up with a high o2 content before descending. a fast descent will always gaurantee ppo2 spikes high. the faster the descent and higher the starting ppo2 the quicker and or higher the loop ppo2 will rise on descent. I glance at my display during descent to check levels. I want to see at least a few points over setpoint (say 1.5 if my setpoint is 1.3) If i dont see it ill manually inject and get a spike over. If I still dont see it its time to turn the dive

contrary to popular belief a few seconds breathing a few points over setpoint will not in anyway kill you...... whereas only checking cells arent current limited to setpoint AFTER a dive at 6m - may.
    Last edited by Drmike; 23rd October 2012 at 07:04.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

[QUOTE=Drmike;416876]At the end of my predive checks i should have a loop full of o2, also my habit is to manually inject o2 whenever at the surface ...

Thanks.

I have been hitting the O2 at the surface also and still am surprised at how unintuitive it is as to how much it can some times take to keep your PPO2 up.

I am still thinking my real O2 top end is around 2 not 1.6, and find it easier to bump things up at around 8 meters or more than at 6.

Peter

[quote=PeterVICEG;416877]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    At the end of my predive checks i should have a loop full of o2, also my habit is to manually inject o2 whenever at the surface ...

Thanks.

I have been hitting the O2 at the surface also and still am surprised at how unintuitive it is as to how much it can some times take to keep your PPO2 up.

I am still thinking my real O2 top end is around 2 not 1.6, and find it easier to bump things up at around 8 meters or more than at 6.

Peter
    yup doesnt matter at what depth you see it so long as you see it.

bumping up at depth is of course faster - but i prefer doing it asap during a dive not later when i get deep and have more issues such as deco safe ascent etc

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    At the end of my predive checks i should have a loop full of o2, also my habit is to manually inject o2 whenever at the surface be that on the dive deck gearing up or in the water at the surface swimming for the boat/bank (ensures safety) - either way i usually naturally end up with a high o2 content before descending. a fast descent will always gaurantee ppo2 spikes high. the faster the descent and higher the starting ppo2 the quicker and or higher the loop ppo2 will rise on descent. I glance at my display during descent to check levels. I want to see at least a few points over setpoint (say 1.5 if my setpoint is 1.3) If i dont see it ill manually inject and get a spike over. If I still dont see it its time to turn the dive

contrary to popular belief a few seconds breathing a few points over setpoint will not in anyway kill you...... whereas only checking cells arent current limited to setpoint AFTER a dive at 6m - may.
    @Mike--thanks for clearing that up Like Peter, I was wondering what you meant, but what you described was what I sorta thought you meant. Currently, I'm checking cells the way Peter is, but going to give your way a try because I think it might be faster (?), easier (?).

Franco

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoC  View Original Post
    @Mike--thanks for clearing that up Like Peter, I was wondering what you meant, but what you described was what I sorta thought you meant. Currently, I'm checking cells the way Peter is, but going to give your way a try because I think it might be faster (?), easier (?).

Franco
    checking cells for current limitation before a dive (during descent) has got to be safer than checking them after the dive at 6m.

also on long-long dives ill often squirt in a bit of o2 during the bottom phase to check cells havent become limited or effected by water droplets (slow to respond)

either way we just are safer to regularly check our cells and that doesnt have to be done only after the dive is over - better done before or during

I use the 6m test during deco to check calibration and linearity more than anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7