+ Reply to Thread

Thread: diving after broken wrist

RBW Member bobdiver is an unknown quantity at this point bobdiver's Avatar
    inspiration classic

diving after broken wrist

hi fellow ccr divers,,,in january of this year i fell on ice and broke the radius in my hand,after plaster cast for days it was not setting so i had to have an operation,,,now i have two steel plates and 6 pins for the repair to the wrist,,,what i need to no from anybody with similar or a medic or doc is it ok to continue diving or is there anything to beware of,i have sent to dan but got no reply so i ask on the forum instead,any info advice thanks,safe ccr diving to all xbob

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Re: diving after broken wrist

Quote Originally Posted by bobdiver  View Original Post
    hi fellow ccr divers,,,in january of this year i fell on ice and broke the radius in my hand,after plaster cast for days it was not setting so i had to have an operation,,,now i have two steel plates and 6 pins for the repair to the wrist,,,what i need to no from anybody with similar or a medic or doc is it ok to continue diving or is there anything to beware of,i have sent to dan but got no reply so i ask on the forum instead,any info advice thanks,safe ccr diving to all xbob
    Hi Bob,

I had a complete right wrist fusion in 2007 which required the majority of the bones in my wrist to be removed, a large portion of the iliac crest of my pelvis to be grafted in, and a metal plate and 6 screws. I feel your pain.

DAN advised that once the bones are completely healed (i.e. fused) and the soft tissue has healed completely, it should be okay to dive but to do so conservatively at first. My surgeon knew nothing about hyperbaric medicine so I relied upon DAN's advise.

I was diving recreationally 4 months after the surgery with no ill effects from diving, other than ongoing issues I have been having when wearing dry gloves - the drysuit cuff / wrist seal, no matter how loose I trim it, causes my right hand and wrist to swell up the size of a grapefruit.

My advise is talk to DAN and then your surgeon and follow their direction.

Good luck with the recovery.

S. Marc

RBW Member Felix is an unknown quantity at this point Felix's Avatar
    rEvo III

rEvo II, Sentinel, Megalodon

Hi

for 2.5 years ago I tried a new sport (roller skates), but after just 50m
    a breach of the wrist and had surgery and got a steel plate put in, that has not stopped me from diving I have experienced great pain and could not dive deep dives on OC (I could not make a proper shutdown).

But with the CCR, I have only minor problem when the dives were long and cold so did the pain in my hand, After 2 year i got a 2.nd operation where the doc. removed the plate, since then has only had problems with long cold dives.

/Felix

Quote Originally Posted by bobdiver  View Original Post

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

DAN first of course.

My wife's experience (plates in the elbow and a metal shoulder) post-accident was that she kept getting elbow pains after each dive, which we attributed to carrying the gear, etc. (Recreational depths, good profiles.) Eventually she got bent and had a couple of chamber rides. She then started diving EAN and the elbow pains ceased. What appears to have been the case was that she was getting mild DCS on every dive.

My non-medical opinion is that you should add some conservatism to what worked for you previously. If all goes well, you might creep back to your earlier profiles to see if there are any adverse impacts of scar tissue, reduced circulation, etc.

YMMV

RBW Member soggy bottom is an unknown quantity at this point soggy bottom's Avatar

I snapped my radius mid October 2008 in a "boating accident" and had to have surgery to install a plate and seven screws. Took my ccr cave in early February 2009, from zero to hero in 8 days. Hurt like hell at times but so did the rest of me. It was my right arm and I'm right handed. Once in a while get some swelling like S. Marc though not like a grapefruit. It didn't hold me back at all but takes time to heal and regain strength and dexterity. Metal is staying in unless something drastically changes. Good luck and heal well.
    Neal

+ Reply to Thread