+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Couple of lessons that I have learned recently

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Couple of lessons that I have learned recently

We all have our little routines of getting things ready for a dive trip. Maybe we are doing a local jump or traveling a distance to get wet. Either way, some things can cause a minor niggle in your plans.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few weeks ago at a dive site 5 hrs away from home, my buddy Jeff (swadiver on this forum) but I won't mention any names, showed up with a BO tank that was only half full. Just assuming that a tank is still full may not be in your best interest. In Jeff's case, the tank was out of hydro by about 15 years and it had never had a VIP. He is still bitchin about how his neck o-rings don't last long enough. I had to transfil 1/2 of my high priced trimix into his tank so that we could dive.

Lesson 1 - Check tank pressures before leaving.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    This last weekend as I was getting gear together, I found a bad 2nd stage diaphram. I always try to breath of of them without any gas being turned on to verify that they aren't leaking. It would not have been the end of the world, since I always take a spare reg setup too. I did the same checks on the 2nd day of diving and found that one of my 2nd stages was leaking. It turned out that the exhaust valve had algea from the previous day in it. A good purge underwater fixed it right up. Can you imagine the things that might go through your mind when bailing out to OC and you are breathing water? Not too good in my opinion.

Lesson 2 - Check all regs, don't assume that since they were OK yesterday that they are still working properly.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know that none of this is anything new or earth shattering to anybody. It is just a couple of things that have occurred to me recently and I thought that I would throw it out thar fer ya'all ta chaw on.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

little man, big dreams tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude's Avatar
    JJ CCR..

Re: Couple of lessons that I have learned recently

Spot on mate. ego as no place in CCr diving, or any diving for that matter.
    Any small issue can become a big one if tied in with another small issue,
    as we know, nearly all fatalities come from a snowballing of isues usually steming from one seemingly insignificant problem that could have been prevented or dealt with!

If something Isn't 100%, stop, ask WHY? and how do i fix it?
    dont just put up or say, thats how we've always done it!

To continue. here's a stupid mistake i made,
    diving on O/C twinset in a tropical destination, i noticed aluminium corosion on my din oring and on the inlet of my first stage, just a little bit, mentioned it to the shop owner who owned the twinset.
    dived on the set for 10 days, just a tiny bit of powder every now and then,
    on a dive to 65m, (on air ) my primary started breathing very hard and I instantly thought.. "you idiot" the filter is full of shit.. i swapped to my left post regs, aborted the dive...
    upon ispection the sinter filter was completely blocked!
    all it took was a quick dismantle and a scrub in vinegar..(10 mins work)
    so please, if u see powder, , service your regs..
    And make the owner clean his bloody tanks!

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Seems like a silly question but what procedure do you follow to make sure your bailout reg is fully functional?

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Seems like a silly question but what procedure do you follow to make sure your bailout reg is fully functional?
    I breathe it underwater if at all possible. Otherwise, I breathe it on land, turn tank off, and breathe it down until I can pull a vacumm on it with no leaks.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

bailout, schmailout, who needs it? you should know better than to dive with me anyway

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

We've learnt that lesson a long time ago, Jeff.

Oh also, can I borrow your spare DPV in September?

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

That one is a joint Venture between me and Mr. Can-u-rent-a-truck. he is on the trip and will probably use it. sorry dude.

i will probably do some swim dives to be with Daniele, so you can use my N-19 on those dives, if you buy me a double vodka.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    bailout, schmailout, who needs it? you should know better than to dive with me anyway
    That's a really dangerous attitude for a diver. Can you imagine if someone with this attitude was a pilot or something???

Ummmmmmm...... Wait a minute.

Revo

Optima

That's a really dangerous attitude for a diver. Can you imagine if someone with this attitude was a pilot or something???

Ummmmmmm...... Wait a minute.

fuel reserves? we don't need no stinking fuel reserves!

remember some other airline flying maxims:

1) don't matter what the weather is, your going anyway
    2) airplane condition? if it flew in it will fly out.

feel better now?

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post

remember some other airline flying maxims:

Don't aircraft have that aerodynamic stuff to allow them to glide if the engine "fails to progress" as RR put it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast