+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensors - How long until we lose someone?

RBW Member Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T's Avatar
    Ouroboros

Kiss Classic

Sensors - How long until we lose someone?

As it says, How long will it be before someone gets hurt by pushing their sensors too far.

we are all waiting for R22D sensors, My old ones are 2 years old, i've not used the unit since oct 2010, last time they all worked fine, however, i've got some big dives coming up and i don't want to chance it, too much risk

I cannot help but think someone, somewhere, will take the risk, rather than miss that long awaited wreck dive

I've tried AI twice and had very poor results, to be honest, i would rather stick with the used Teladynes

Others must be in the same position

Anyone got any ideas?

Are AI cells the only alternative?

Paul

RBW Member Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon's Avatar
    Evolution

Inspiration

Re: Sensors - How long until we lose someone?

I'm in the same boat. Have an 09 cell and 2 "new" 08 cells I have just put in. All limited. Contacted AP yesterday and the're no closer to a date and as expected won't recomend any others.

Think AI are the only alternative but I'm trying hard not to go down that path.
    Last edited by Ivon; 3rd March 2011 at 20:54.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T  View Original Post
    As it says, How long will it be before someone gets hurt by pushing their sensors too far.
    That ship has already sailed......

OR - do you mean since the departure of Teledyne from the market...?

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Dudes (and Dude-ettes),

NO ONE's life is worth the $200 it takes to buy new sensors. Even ones that won't last more than 3-4 months (as was the statement in the first post).

Seriously, if you don't care enough about yourself, think about your family, or MY family.

Someone dying on a rig out of stupidity still leaves a trail of debris for the rest of us to navigate around.

I am surprised to see this subject even discussed on an advanced forum such as RBW - I would have thought by now that it was beaten into everyone's head that Oxygen Sensors are the most crucial part of a CCR system.

You MUST have absolute confidence in them before you trust your life to them.

Anything less, and you are acting irresponsibly toward not only yourself, but toward everyone who cares about you, and - to only a small measure less - those who work hard to train you, and who build the equipment to keep you safe underwater.

You know "him" - the guy that we all talk about on the boat - the one who made the most basic of stupid mistakes, took an obviously bad shortcut, and paid the ultimate price.

Don't be THAT guy.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

RBW Member Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon's Avatar
    Evolution

Inspiration

Kevin, I don't think anyone is advocating diving on cells they don't trust, hence the reluctance to use the AI cells. But there doesn't seem to be any other options. If your old cells are limited it seems you either use AI or don't dive.

RBW Member jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Dudes (and Dude-ettes),

You MUST have absolute confidence in them before you trust your life to them.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    I have never been confident on my cells. They might fail any time. I am happy to have three of them in my system. New cell is the one I am always most afraid of.
    Jukka

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

An intersting idea would be having a group of rebreather manufacturers that use the same / similar type cell enter into a joint venture or create a company to manufacture cells.

As the two products are so closely aligned this would make sense no?

S. Marc

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by S. Marc  View Original Post
    An intersting idea would be having a group of rebreather manufacturers that use the same / similar type cell enter into a joint venture or create a company to manufacture cells.

As the two products are so closely aligned this would make sense no?

S. Marc

Like everything else, I don't imagine the CCR Manufacturers getting together to do much of anything together.

That said, I know there are at least 1 or 2 projects out there to try and develop a replacement.

But this thread was started with the question of "how long" before someone dies as a result of pushing old sensors, or using known limited sensors.

One member, Ivon (sorry for picking on you) has already publicly stated that he is using "limited" sensors which are now 3 years old!

I just want to point out what I believe should be the obvious foolishness of diving a rebreather with sensors that are out of date, current limited, or of a brand you do not trust.

What the hell do they teach you guys in your CCR courses? That using old sensors is o.k. as long as you can get them to calibrate???

I know, personally, of TWO guys who died from using out of date (and in one case, mixed type) of Oxygen Sensors in their rigs. Again, WHY? To save a couple of bucks??

I spent 3 hours on the phone with the girlfriend of one of them after helping out with the investigation. She is ruined for life, emotionally. Hence, my statement about the debris left behind by foolish choices.

This shouldn't even be an open question, really. There should be absolutely no discussion, debate, or denial by anyone on this forum. If you are so absolutely reckless as to utilize sensors that you know to be old, out of date, or current limited, then please leave a note in your dive bag which says "I know I'm using old sensors, and I just don't care" - at least the rest of us can have the satisfaction of knowing you really didn't give a shit afterall...

Kevin.

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

I've never tried them myself but I've heard the Maxtec sensors are pretty good

RBW Member hzracing is on a distinguished road hzracing is on a distinguished road hzracing's Avatar
    KISS Classic #370

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T  View Original Post

we are all waiting for R22D sensors, My old ones are 2 years old, i've not used the unit since oct 2010, last time they all worked fine, however, i've got some big dives coming up and i don't want to chance it, too much risk

I cannot help but think someone, somewhere, will take the risk, rather than miss that long awaited wreck dive

I've tried AI twice and had very poor results, to be honest, i would rather stick with the used Teladynes

Others must be in the same position

Anyone got any ideas?

Are AI cells the only alternative?

Paul
    The AI cells of today are MUCH better than the AI cells of just a couple years ago.

I've had just as many Teledyne cells that were shat, as I have AI.

So your logic is, I will use old, current limited, Teledyne cells, and maybe pay the ultimate price, yet won't give NEW AI cells a chance. If that is true, please consider going back to open circuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast