+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offset D-Ring stage mounts

RBW Member geoffc is an unknown quantity at this point geoffc's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS

Offset D-Ring stage mounts

I'm looking at away to improve how i mount my side stages onto my Meglaodon rig.

I currently have Offset D-Rings which i find very uncomfortable as they dig into my arms if i need to dump air out of my dry suit. Does any one any other modifications or thoughts on how to improve this mounting process.

Thanks in advance

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Re: Offset D-Ring stage mounts

Many Meg divers I see use an armadillo set up, moving the d-ring down the strap to around the bottom of the rib cage for the stages, or use the bungee setup. I think there is a video on Jill Heinerth's site outlining it.

If you google "the quiet diver", the blogger Hans, outlines some pointers picked up from Steven Bogart's extensive sidmount experience. I have the pleasure of diving with Hans here and there and I'm always covetous of his setup.

I have no cave training or sidemount training and tend to be a little old school, so I just got rid of the offset d-rings and use my standard Hogarthian plate and standard d-rings.

Pull the lung aside with the right hand and snap the stage with the left reaching in to the d-rings to get started, after some time you build up the muscle memory required to reach under the lung with just the left and find the ring every time. The "bent out" or d-rings with the forward bend help a bit. I even found the stages sat better and didn't bump the ADV or other bits as much when back in the more traditional area.

I was certainly getting sick of black and blue biceps and arms from the rebreather style chest d-rings.

-matt

Megalodon APECS

Smile Re: Offset D-Ring stage mounts

Quote Originally Posted by hound  View Original Post
    Many Meg divers I see use an armadillo set up, moving the d-ring down the strap to around the bottom of the rib cage for the stages, or use the bungee setup. I think there is a video on Jill Heinerth's site outlining it.

If you google "the quiet diver", the blogger Hans, outlines some pointers picked up from Steven Bogart's extensive sidmount experience. I have the pleasure of diving with Hans here and there and I'm always covetous of his setup.

I have no cave training or sidemount training and tend to be a little old school, so I just got rid of the offset d-rings and use my standard Hogarthian plate and standard d-rings.

Pull the lung aside with the right hand and snap the stage with the left reaching in to the d-rings to get started, after some time you build up the muscle memory required to reach under the lung with just the left and find the ring every time. The "bent out" or d-rings with the forward bend help a bit. I even found the stages sat better and didn't bump the ADV or other bits as much when back in the more traditional area.

I was certainly getting sick of black and blue biceps and arms from the rebreather style chest d-rings.

-matt
    Hi Matt agree with you on the black and blue biceps and arms. Many thanks for your reply

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Couple things to consider....

1) Not sure if your using a chest strap by in my experiance that will make a difference along with how you have it adjusted.

2) I am a big fan of using some type of butt mount and loops to side mount my tanks. I still keep the offset D-rings but definately feel like the sidemount provides a more streamlined configuration.

Good Luck!

Mark

Megalodon APECS

Smile Re: Offset D-Ring stage mounts

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Couple things to consider....

1) Not sure if your using a chest strap by in my experiance that will make a difference along with how you have it adjusted.

2) I am a big fan of using some type of butt mount and loops to side mount my tanks. I still keep the offset D-rings but definately feel like the sidemount provides a more streamlined configuration.

Good Luck!

Mark
    Thanks Mark

It look like the butt mount option is worht me investigating further

cheers Geoff

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by geoffc  View Original Post
    Thanks Mark

It look like the butt mount option is worht me investigating further

cheers Geoff
    Also note that each of the versions are a little different so you may want to make sure that you speak to others that have tried a couple...

Depending on your height etc you might like one over the other.

1) Dive Rite has two versions that I am aware of....
    2) Golem Gear has one also...

I am using the GG version.

Mark

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

I have been using the Golum Gear breather side mount configuration with a butt plate and bungi's. I won't revert back to traditional slinging. The tank is out if you way but totally accessible and is simple to use and rig.

Later

Nick

HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by scunick  View Original Post
    I have been using the Golum Gear breather side mount configuration with a butt plate and bungi's. I won't revert back to traditional slinging. The tank is out if you way but totally accessible and is simple to use and rig.

Later

Nick
    The only slight change I have made to that setup is to put a double-d from the bungi loop to my offset chest d-ring on either side. This way you can always find it.

M

RBW Member BlueLabelDiving is an unknown quantity at this point BlueLabelDiving's Avatar
    Meg, Inspo, homebuilt

Diverite has an inespensive buttplate, combine that with the ringed bungees and it won't get any cleaner/cheaper, very comfortable. Have a look at Lamar Hires on youtube.
    Cheers, Ben

Megalodon APECS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLabelDiving  View Original Post
    Diverite has an inespensive buttplate, combine that with the ringed bungees and it won't get any cleaner/cheaper, very comfortable. Have a look at Lamar Hires on youtube.
    Cheers, Ben
    Hi Ben thanks for this do you have anu picture of how you set up the stage?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast