+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trip report and the problems that go with it.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Trip report and the problems that go with it.

Let me preface this my noting that my Rebreather and gear was all put together a checked last night and ready to go. Everything went without a glitch, batteries were fine, calibration was done and rock solid, negative held overnight.

We were planning a simple little check out dive to the Hydro Atlantic. Jeff needed to get a dive under his belt on his new rEvo and I needed to verify that my loop would stay dry. we are planning a bigger dive next weekend and want to make sure that our gear and ourselves are up to the task.
    We arrive at the site to learn that there is a 1.9-2.0 knot current and we are too frickin old to pull down the line in that current. We opted to go shallower to try our luck at another site. The Sea Emperor, in about 70', was our next target and the current there was almost non existant, maybe a bit but not much.

We gear up and I flop overboard first. We plan to meet at the wreck. On the pull up the granny line, things don't seem to be fitting quite right and pulling to my left. I put this up to the fact that I have 1 AL80 on my left side with no tank on the right side. I am a little light and have to pull my way down the anchor line to 20' before I become neutral and can sink easily.

I am having trouble finding my gas addition block during the descent (it is up a bit too high and kinda twisted) and decide to sort it out once I hit the wreck. I fumble around a bit until Jeff shows up and I discover than my harness has pulled out of the fastex fastener and my right side is disconnected. Jeff tried to sort it out but the strap had pulled through the backplate far enough that it was too short to reconnect. Screw it, I went diving anyway. It was a bit challenging to maintain my position in the water.

During this circus event, My HUD "turned off". This is not supposed to happen according to Shearwater, but mine "times out" on more than one occassion. New battery does not make any difference. I have learned to just accept it and make sure that my buddy knows how to turn it on. This is the first time that it has done it at depth though.

OK, screw it, lets go diving. Next thing I see is this annoying little symbol with a "LOW INTERNAL BATTERY" warning. The voltage was just fine last night but not right now. This reguired me to confirm several times during the dive. It shut down twice and cleared tisses once. A lot of confirms were needed and began to irritate me.

All righty then, time to man up and deal with it. We penetrated the wreck into some areas that Jeff had never been able to get his optima into and had an easy swim of it. I reached to add a bit of O2 and my gas block was gone. WTF is going on with this darned dive. I flop around a bit and tracked it down. The damn thing was behind my back since the bungee that secures it to my chest strap came untied. On a positive note however, the bungee was still there and I didn't loose it.

Jeff signaled me to penetrate from the bottom of the wreck and I finally gave up and thumbed the dive. Too many things were not going my way and I was no longer enjoying the dive. We returned to the anchor and ascended.

All in all, the dive was a great success. My loop stayed dry and I found a couple of equipment issues that I need to tend to before my next dive. Much better to find them here in my own area than miles away from home.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Re: Trip report and the problems that go with it.

Never a dull dive with you...

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Ohhh, how much I relish the Trip Reports of yours, Don... I print them all out, spread the papers across the floor, and roll around on them, naked, smelling the sweet aroma of vindication...

....Then my wife walks into the room and tells me to stop all the nonsense and get dressed because I'm frightening the children...

Kevin.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Don the Destroyer. 'Nuf said.

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    All in all, the dive was a great success.
    "Aside from THAT, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

You rock, Don!

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

OK, this is the part where you chastise us Optima divers again, right?

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

I would surely hate to read about a dive that you considered a bad dive.
    Glad you are OK.
    Gabe

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Ohhh, how much I relish the Trip Reports of yours, Don... I print them all out, spread the papers across the floor, and roll around on them, naked, smelling the sweet aroma of vindication...

....Then my wife walks into the room and tells me to stop all the nonsense and get dressed because I'm frightening the children...

Kevin.
    Ugh
    Don touching Kevins junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oh the horror the horror of it all
    Seriously Don thanks for sharing I know you take a bunch of ribbing but it is stories like
    this that remind us all to keep diligent.
    thanks
    the other Kevin
    Last edited by kevin stone; 27th February 2011 at 12:41.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

My life as an airline pilot is sooooo boring compared to my diving "adventures" with Mr. Six.

i must be mad, because next weekend it will be a scooter dive at the Nest to 3000 ft with Don "the destroyer"

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    My life as an airline pilot is sooooo boring compared to my diving "adventures" with Mr. Six.
    You could always get a job with Qantas flying A380's