+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Salvodiving v Halcyon

New Member Dell Motes is an unknown quantity at this point Dell Motes's Avatar

Re: Salvodiving v Halcyon

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    Last time I checked Sartek didn't sue anyone who didn't make lights though.

Carliegh Rae Corp. (Carmichael, Halcyon, et.al - its a convoluted mess of intertwined ownership and officers there), however, did sue someone (Oxycheq) over a weight patent when Oxycheq didn't actually make weighting systems, and then (if Oxycheq's reports are correct) demanded during settlement negotiations all current stock of their wings and a permanent injunction against future production of same....

Gee, what do you think that one was about?
    That is out of my range, I don't know much (0) about those particulars, or who was actually served. I have no reason to doubt what you say, I just don't know enough about the details.
    Lawsuits are poisonous to all involved, I would much rather settle things with boxing gloves, and whoever WINS buys the beer;)
    Things would be so much easier and quickly settled, without making attorneys richer.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Motes
    Actually, the patent system is an "honor" system.........
    The examiners have no clue what may already be on the market, they research previous claims awarded etc. and it is up to the filer to state the
    'unique" aspects of their claims. The PTO then either agrees or dismisses any claims depending on prior art, claims previously awarded and/or things deemed "obvious to those skilled in the art", such as it would be rather hard to claim "a round cylinder as a pressure vessel" being unique to an underwater light design. That is obvious to "those skilled in the art", and virtually anyone else for that matter.:D
    Honor based systems require honorable people.

The PTO basically searches the available public records, relying primarily on current patents, pending applications etc. It's much like a title search, public records. The PTO is not digging up 20 year old copies of Skin Diver and scanning them cover to cover on the chance there maybe prior art that applies.

This "other than PTO records" type prior art is typically presented during a suit to "prove the claims" This requires the "infringer" to defend, at great cost in both money and time.

Tobin

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Always sad when friends fall out. IIRC Barry and JJ dived the Brittanic together.

I have very few business dealings with friends or family, but when I do I get it in writing. I'm not confident enough in my own recollection.

Janos

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Janos
    Always sad when friends fall out. IIRC Barry and JJ dived the Brittanic together.

I have very few business dealings with friends or family, but when I do I get it in writing. I'm not confident enough in my own recollection.

Janos

I watched the Brittanic film on SKY last night. I found it quite sad seeing Barry and AG (both now no longer a part of GUE) with the sole servivor JJ.

Reading between the lines of Andrew Georgitsis demise it sugests a similar storey.

Then, wasent there some controvacy with the scooters as well?

It would apear that JJ is a hard arse buisnesman as well as being a hard arse diver.

ATB

Mark Chase

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase
    ...Barry and AG (both now no longer a part of GUE) with the sole servivor JJ.
    AFAIK, Barry was not involved with GUE - not that it matters much.

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Motes
    Lawsuits are poisonous to all involved, I would much rather settle things with boxing gloves, and whoever WINS buys the beer;)
    Things would be so much easier and quickly settled, without making attorneys richer.
    AMEN!!

RBW Member jknights is on a distinguished road jknights is on a distinguished road jknights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    My laymans understanding of US Patent Law:

The PTO does little or no reseach regarding Prior Art. As a result many patents are issued that will ultimately be found to be invalid.

The patent holder however is now armed with a club to swing at competitors, many of which many not be able to afford to litigate the validity of the patent.

The patent holder is efffectively protected from counter suits because they hold a patent.

Sound familiar?

Tobin
    Sounds pretty typical of the US legal system,.
    A system that is designed to keep lawyers in business and to help the large organisations bully the smaller innovative ones.
    Their attidute is I'll sue you and bankcrupt you before there is a final ruling.

The US and UK legal systems are largely outdated, unethical and certainly immoral. They desparately need to be reformed.

Rant over

RBW Member jknights is on a distinguished road jknights is on a distinguished road jknights's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Salvodiving v Halcyon

Quote Originally Posted by cameron  View Original Post
    AMEN!!
    Amen.

Guess you are not a lawyer but a pragmatist.

CK #159 caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Meg

Holy thread CPR!!!

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Just bear in mind guys (I'm not making any comment on the thread whatsoever, as its a subject I know nothing about!), that this thread is from April 2006, and has just been brought back to life today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6