+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Salvodiving v Halcyon

RBW Member divingniknaks is an unknown quantity at this point divingniknaks's Avatar

Salvodiving v Halcyon

On behalf of Salvodiving at their request.

"Some of you are no doubt aware of the legal issues between me, Halcyon and the State of Florida. This issue came up several months ago, and I promised a full explanation when the time was right. I’m fulfilling my promise.

Long story short for those who don’t want to read any further – Salvo Diving will continue to make excellent dive gear, under full warranty, and the customer service that hundreds of my customers can attest to will absolutely continue. I look forward to making great dive products for great divers for many years to come.

To fully understand the issue, I have to take you back several years. Many of you will remember when I was making lights for the technical dive community. When I was diving with the WKPP, a lot of the products I developed were on the ‘bleeding edge’… in fact, many of you will probably still have one of my ‘rat lights.’ The Rat Lights were the first delrin-bodied, super-endurable backup light, and a predecessor to Halcyon Scout’s.

I was approached by Jarrod Jablonski to work for Halcyon in August 1999. We struck a deal then – I would make lights exclusively for Halcyon, and supply all of my equipment, tools and machinery. In exchange, I would take a salary, and 1% of gross sales.

At the time, I considered Jarrod to be a friend, and a handshake deal was good enough.

I made thousands of lights for Halcyon, and continued to develop new technologies and made great dive gear. I donated my tools and equipment, and drew a salary – but never received my 1% of gross sales.

Every few months, I’d ask about the 1%. Every time, Jarrod would slough it off or change the subject. I was aware Halcyon was under significant financial stress at times, and was confident that eventually, Jarrod would make good on his word.
    Finally, I demanded resolution of this matter; I was told “You’ll have to sue for it.” No doubt Jarrod knew I was very disappointed. He had chosen not to honor his word.

I was upset, and tremendously disappointed. I decided that I would recoup my loss by taking some parts and equipment. The amount of goods taken didn’t even come close to equalling 1% of gross sales, but it doesn’t matter – I realize that my conduct wasn’t the right thing to do. It shouldn’t have happened. I recognize that now, and accept full responsibility for incredibly poor judgment.

Jarrod was upset at this. Rather than pursue the matter in civil court, he decided to press criminal charges. The Sheriff arrived at Salvo and claimed some of the materials. I voluntarily offered the rest.

Fast-forward to today. Salvo is doing well, with a great staff to provide the service people expect. But in the meantime, restitution has to be made. Rather than face a long and protracted legal fight, my lawyer has brokered a settlement with the State of Florida. I plead “no contest” to charges of theft. In exchange, I agreed to a financial settlement and some time in jail. I fully recognize that what I did was wrong. I’m not making excuses; I’m not trying to justify my actions.

I recognize the error of my ways. If I had a written contract with Halcyon, I’d have stronger grounds to sue, but unfortunately, it appears I trusted Jarrod a little too much.

I feel victimized, but recognize that there are right ways and wrong ways to solve an injustice – what I did was obviously the wrong way. I am voluntarily choosing to spend up to a year in jail, confident that even in my absence; Salvo will continue to make great products.

Halcyon’s revenue from light sales has plummeted since Salvo began – divers around the world have discovered a better product at a better price. I look forward to returning, and continuing to provide good service and great gear. I strongly suspect there was a reason Jablonski insisted that I serve time, rather than simple financial restitution. In my opinion, Halcyon feels that if they shut down Barry Miller, they shut down Salvo.

There are some great people at Salvo, and we will continue to make great lights and other gear. We will continue to provide great products, reasonable prices and service after the sale that is second to none during my absence.

Barry Miller"

UK / European Salvo owners please address any questions or concerns you may have to us initially here in the UK, if we cannot satisfy your concerns then we will ensure Salvodiving will.

Best
    Phill Hopkins

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Re: Salvodiving v Halcyon

I'm glad this is out there, and people can make their own decisions as to which business of the two, if either, should be either rewarded or punished given what has happened here.....

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

I have done business with both JJ and Barry collectively and individually since 1998, and I easily know who I will continue to support based on my own experience.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Regardless of whats behind it, can you imagine having to go to prison for a year of your life?

Holy shit. Does he have a family? Kids? a wife? This sort of thing punishes more than just one person.

What a horrible situation - nasty business in such a small town.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    I have done business with both JJ and Barry collectively and individually since 1998, and I easily know who I will continue to support based on my own experience.
    When you say 'experience' do you mean that you just experienced better service or better product from one over the other or (I think more importantly) that you experienced lack of honesty of one?

BTW Ive just found out Im going to be a father again :D

Yippeee! :D

RBW Member divingniknaks is an unknown quantity at this point divingniknaks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Regardless of whats behind it, can you imagine having to go to prison for a year of your life?

Holy shit. Does he have a family? Kids? a wife? This sort of thing punishes more than just one person.

What a horrible situation - nasty business in such a small town.
    Yes, Barry does indeed have a wife and two teenage children at home. As I count them as friends my thoughts are with them as well.

Thanks

Phill

Hey Congrats

Custom Title Allowed! Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck's Avatar

I never liked Halcyon anyway. Easy for my.

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Thumbs up Re: Salvodiving v Halcyon

Congratulations Mike.:D

/Jonny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast