+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discovery of the tug CHELSEA

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Discovery of the tug CHELSEA

A few days ago we finally located and dived the tug CHELSEA. Built in 1926, the CHELSEA was most notable for her prominent appearance in the Brad Pitt, Oscar-nominated movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." Most do not realize that after filming in Mobile, the CHELSEA sank off the Dry Tortugas en route to Haiti in December 2006.
    The virgin wreck rests perfectly upright and intact in approximately 175 feet of water. Insane marine life. I will try to put up a video clip when I get back from OWU.
    Want to dive it - talk to Captain Frank Wasson of the SPREE. We be diving it in July!
    Cheers,
    Mike

RBW Member XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae is a jewel in the rough XJae's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Re: Discovery of the tug CHELSEA

Very cool Mike.
    Would love to see some video.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

I threw together a quick clip of the wreck:
    We were playing with our Contour cameras without the benefit of a stable scooter platform, so it's a wee bit shaky. Plus, the conditions were not ideal. Nice wreck though - crawling with critters.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Very cool!

RBW Member signpainter is an unknown quantity at this point signpainter's Avatar

Hello...
    I work for BAE Systems...which now owns the former Norshipco shipyard
    in Norfolk, Va. This tug was built as the Reliance in 1929. It was bought
    by Norshipco years later. I often worked on and rode this tug while it was
    at Norshipco. it was sold in 1996. I have one of the quarter boards from it
    at home which were removed during a repainting.
    It was named Norshipco Three while at Norshipco. I've been told it was one of the first diesel tugs built. The best I recall it had a EMD engine. I also still have the stencils for its registration number while at Norshipco and stencils for its life rings. I do sign work for the shipyard.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Very cool Mike!