+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Clemente Island's Mystery Wreck

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Re: San Clemente Island's Mystery Wreck

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    So does it glow in the dark? I'm thinking the Navy never thought civilians could ever reach their discarded toys?

Dwayne
    Doubt it. it's been a long time since the experiments. And all the fish we saw had 2 eyes in fairly normal locations, tails at the back end, and fins fairly symmetrically placed. No monsters seen.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Very cool find
    I think it's just as cool as a sub because there were only a few of these made.
    I cant believe that you had ambient light.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

San Clemente waters are amazing. It's like being in the tropics sometimes. I suspect that LA's waters are as crappy as they are because of massive inflows of high nitrogen runoff from everyone's lawn which sets off the algae like nuts. We've had ambient at 300 a few times away from LA - it's fairly common at Catalina also.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Doubt it. it's been a long time since the experiments. And all the fish we saw had 2 eyes in fairly normal locations, tails at the back end, and fins fairly symmetrically placed. No monsters seen.
    ... but that Halibut had two eyes on one side of its body 8)

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Plus --- the whale spout we saw on the way back, pods of dolphin's (one pod was very unique to the area), an F-18 "fly-by" our boat - followed by at least a 4G vertical climb and subsequent roll, and dodging two HUGE battle ships on maneuvers -- all on our ride back from shooting Phil's video. Incredible dive, incredible ride back, and incredible identification by Danny. Doesn't get much better :)...

John

RBW Member DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham's Avatar
    APD Evoltion Vision

RB80 Clone/ KISS Sidewinder

Hey guys, just finally found my password here.

That find was time consuming. My wife was wondering what the hell I was doing for that two weeks.

The question still remains, is it Squaw 13 or Sqaw 29? I am 95% sure it is Sqaw 29, which was moored outside San Diego for many years as a sonar target, broke its mooring in late 1977 and was removed in 1978. But, that is the last I have been able to find on it. One guy mentioned seeing it 10 years later in a yard in San Pedro.

The Sqaw 13 was damaged during the initial tests and towed 500 miles before it broke tow and sank. They were headed for Catalina Island when that happened.

There is a small chance, and I do mean small that this is Sqaw 13. If it is, the Navy would like to have it back.

Would really like to get back and do some more checking on the numbers that John and Phil got video of. I saw those on my dive, but didn't have enough time to investigate.

The last post on this thread was made by DGraham in June 2011. So I am not sure if anyone is following anymore. So I will also send an email to DGraham, and hopefully I can get an answer one way of the other.

I was researching the fate of the Squaw-13 and found your blog and video. The video shows a depth of 301-302 ft. I am interested to know if any one has a record of the lat/long coordinates where the mystery wreck was found.

Many thanks.

RBW Member DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham's Avatar
    APD Evoltion Vision

RB80 Clone/ KISS Sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by mcinter  View Original Post
    The last post on this thread was made by DGraham in June 2011. So I am not sure if anyone is following anymore. So I will also send an email to DGraham, and hopefully I can get an answer one way of the other.

I was researching the fate of the Squaw-13 and found your blog and video. The video shows a depth of 301-302 ft. I am interested to know if any one has a record of the lat/long coordinates where the mystery wreck was found.

Many thanks.
    I received your e-mail and will contact you directly.

Are you interested in returning to the spot and surveying the wreck?

DGraham, I got your email and I replied. Thanks.

No, I am not planning to return to the spot and survey the wreck at all. I wish I could; may be in another life.

I am not a diver, just a researcher working in an office.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Phil,

Enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast