+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Clemente Island's Mystery Wreck

RBW Member scuba_phil is on a distinguished road scuba_phil is on a distinguished road scuba_phil's Avatar

San Clemente Island's Mystery Wreck

Dove this on February 13, 2011. We thought it was a WWII US Sub but after diving it and looking at the video, I'm not sure what it is? No torpedo tubes, no propellers, no rudder, no conning tower. Any ideas?

Phil

from Phillip Marco on Vimeo.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Re: San Clemente Island's Mystery Wreck

Hard to tell looking at the video on a iPhone IV not enough wide shoots for any size perspective. But it kinda looks like a sub. But it really hard to tell without some wide shots at least on the phone.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

I'm far from an expert, but I have dived a few subs of different countries from WWI onwards and spent plenty of time wandering around submarine museums.

That's a sub. Not sure why it's missing so many bits - the rudder, props and aft hydroplanes are clearly missing, as you can see the back end of the pressure hull clearly in the video. Was it sunk as a target?

Is this the sub that Andrew Ainslie posted about? His group seemed pretty confident about an identification as a US sub from WWII.

Cheers,

Phil

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

My vote is a sub. The con might be nearby and not hard to imagine they would have removed the props and rudders before they shot it up.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSiswick  View Original Post
    I'm far from an expert, but I have dived a few subs of different countries from WWI onwards and spent plenty of time wandering around submarine museums.

That's a sub. Not sure why it's missing so many bits - the rudder, props and aft hydroplanes are clearly missing, as you can see the back end of the pressure hull clearly in the video. Was it sunk as a target?

Is this the sub that Andrew Ainslie posted about? His group seemed pretty confident about an identification as a US sub from WWII.

Cheers,

Phil
    Yep it is. We subsequently realized that some dimensions were wrong. So were still figuring it out. This ID could get tricky, the size and shape are weird.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

When Phil and I first descended on the target, this first thing I noticed was the yellow numbers with a hash mark beside each one. starting at 20 and heading down to 1 at the bottom.. which was weird to say the least.. but a few things to note:

1. at :20 seconds into the video, look at top of SUB and you will see a rope hanging horizontally from the cleats.. so it could not have been under water too long..
    2. at 1:28 there is a tear in the side of the target, but it did not completely penetrate the inner side. So it looks like it was "yanked" off the target
    3. at frame 2:03 it looks to be some plumbing, and actually reminds me of a set of pump or pump valves sticking slightly upwards through the screen..
    4. around frame 2:40 I noticed the small holes in what to this point I thought was the pressure hole.. To my knowledge, no pressure hull would ever have it's outer hull attached in this manner.
    5. at frame 2:53 you will see 5 very large chain links attached to the bottom of the target that I highlighted with my light. I can not think of any sub that would have an attachment point here for heavy chain.
    6. at 2:99 in the upper right, there appears to be an opening. It was pointed out to me that it could be a Strut bearing on a SUB, or maybe not, but looks like it is intentional..
    7, At 3:31 notice the top of the target and look at how it resembles the USS T-1 (SST-1) :

USS Mackerel (SST-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. at 4:00 minutes you see the yellow numbers on the side. They run from 20 all the way down to 1. They have hash marks to the left, and are in 1 foot increments.
    9. at 4:19 there is a circular opening followed by an oval opening. there is no way to access the main body of the target by the oval opening (could have been a fin, or just a panel missing) but the circular opening goes into the belly of the target.
    10. at 4:48 it sure looks like a connection point of some sort at the end of the target.
    11. back to :52 -- the three holes in the bow are too small to be torpedo tubes

So.. it might be a prototype of a Mackerel SUB that was recently sank. Or one person points out it could be an aluminum storage barge/containment. And as someone mentioned to me this morning, could be a "decoy" of sorts that was pulled through the water to test sonar devices, etc...

Baffling for sure...

John

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Fascinating - I'll keep watching this one with interest.

Cheers,

Phil

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

We're pretty sure that we've found it. Well, moire accurately, Danny Graham found it.
    See around mins 7 to 10 of this video:

Also look at this doc:

www.asainslie.com/documents/The_Squaw.pdf
    Thanks to Danny Graham for doing the hard work on this. He's been relentless for the last couple of weeks, tracking down possibilities.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

So does it glow in the dark? I'm thinking the Navy never thought civilians could ever reach their discarded toys?

Dwayne

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Nice job Danny !! It really is a dead on match...

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast