+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faulty thyroid

in lurking greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird's Avatar

Faulty thyroid

Hi y'all!
    I am interested in information regarding endocrinology and diving.
    To be specific, I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and low iron levels recently. I'm on 100mg levothyroxin and ferrous sulfate tablets at the moment. I know that the thyroid stuff in itself does not pose any issues with regards to diving..However I was told that if the dosage is too high, it could emulate the effects of a hyperactive thyroid and this may make me more succeptible to an O2 tox (ogh fun!) i am due to be tested at the end of the month again to see how i'm getting on, but any info on the accuracy of the above statements would be much appreciated.
    Regards,

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Can't help I'm afraid, but I'd be interested in anything you can find out as I know someone in a similar position.

Cheers,
    Janos

Pedant dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner's Avatar
    It's true that too much thryroid replacement can cause hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid problems). The amount of thyroxine you need to take to cause problems is usually a fair bit more than 100 mcg per day, so it's probably not something you need to worry much about.

Hyperthyroidism and CNS O2 toxicity is not something I've heard about. A quick literature search has told me that if you give rats between 100 and 1000 mcg per kilogram body weight (ie 70 to 700 100 mcg tablets per day equivalent in a 70kg person) they are more susceptible to ozone pulmonary toxicity. Dunno how relevant this is:)

If you are otherwise OK and your check is OK I wouldn't be too fussed about it.

Dave T

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar
    Would they be prepared to take you on as a research case at DDRC? Maybe they might put you in the pot to see if you are more susceptible... At least you'd know...

Just a thought...

in lurking greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird will become famous soon enough greekbird's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon
    Would they be prepared to take you on as a research case at DDRC? Maybe they might put you in the pot to see if you are more susceptible... At least you'd know...

Just a thought...
    crash test dummy for the DDRC (rather than the DFC) :D:D

dteubner
    thank you, incoming green!

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar
    LOL!

Have a blob... ;)

PS Tell your old man to read his PMs! :D

Quote Originally Posted by greekbird
    crash test dummy for the DDRC (rather than the DFC) :D:D

dteubner
    thank you, incoming green!

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Thyroid and high PPO2

Quote Originally Posted by dteubner
    It's true that too much thryroid replacement can cause hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid problems). The amount of thyroxine you need to take to cause problems is usually a fair bit more than 100 mcg per day, so it's probably not something you need to worry much about.
    Quote Originally Posted by dteubner

Hyperthyroidism and CNS O2 toxicity is not something I've heard about. A quick literature search has told me that if you give rats between 100 and 1000 mcg per kilogram body weight (ie 70 to 700 100 mcg tablets per day equivalent in a 70kg person) they are more susceptible to ozone pulmonary toxicity. Dunno how relevant this is:)

If you are otherwise OK and your check is OK I wouldn't be too fussed about it.

Dave T

Doc T,

Thanks for that note, Doc. That means for myself, I'd have to swallow two bottles of pills every day. (...only one for the other guys... ) You are a really handy guy to have around!

Rob

+ Reply to Thread