+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commercial mixed-gas rebreather idea

RBW Member Discoman is an unknown quantity at this point Discoman's Avatar
    negotiating IDA71

Commercial mixed-gas rebreather idea

just drew this up off the top of my head a few minutes ago.
    and yes, I used paint. nothing better to draw on the computer with at the moment.
    oh, and if this idea does not currently exist in a commercial product, please don't steal my idea.
    i'm just looking for criticisms of it.

okay, well the gray blocks are a switching mechanism.
    as-is, the rebreather takes gas from a bell or surface supply, and exhausts it back to the source. now, the line from the inlet valve runs to several boxes. if the umbilical loses pressure, a pressure valve triggers the grey box mechanism to switch from surface to the backpack, the pressure loss is a telemetry and audio alert device-when pressure is lost, it sends a pulsed signal to the surface, and produces a beeping tone that can be heard by the diver. also, the loss of pressure activates the valve for the mix gas cylinder for the backpack rebreather.
    basically, if pressure is lost, the backpack starts beeping and switches over to bailout. the idea is for this to be used with demand diving helmets for commercial use.

credit: bailout systems exist, as well as some inspiration from: Draeger bell rebreather and the IDA-72

so, what do you guys think?
    Attached Images

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Commercial mixed-gas rebreather idea

Pretty complex and is going to breath like crap more than likely.

Most of the current helmets are in essence a BOV on the helmet plugged into the umbilical for baiout. Very simple but WOB sucks, CO2 lag, and Fogging is a problem.

RBW Member Discoman is an unknown quantity at this point Discoman's Avatar
    negotiating IDA71

Question Re: Commercial mixed-gas rebreather idea

Quote Originally Posted by Loanwolf  View Original Post
    Pretty complex and is going to breath like crap more than likely.

Most of the current helmets are in essence a BOV on the helmet plugged into the umbilical for baiout. Very simple but WOB sucks, CO2 lag, and Fogging is a problem.
    okay. what part is too complex, and what do you suggest be done to improve the breathing?

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Commercial mixed-gas rebreather idea

I don't know about a rebreather but I think you just invented the triple expansion steam engine... Oh wait...

Seriously your drawing needs to be a little clearer, I can't figure out what it is trying to accomplish.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread