+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Submarine found off San Clemente Island

RBW Member Shocky is an unknown quantity at this point Shocky's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Re: Submarine found off San Clemente Island

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    On Sunday, 6th February, Andrew Ainslie, Mike Wynd and Danny Graham went to San Clemente in Danny Howard's boat. Alan Crane acted as safety diver. We dove on a target in 300 feet off Lost Point. We were hoping to find a destroyer, but came up with something more surprising - a submarine.
    We have tentatively identified it as the USS Skate (SS-305), a balao class submarine that was used as a target twice - once at Bikini Atoll, and once off San Clemente. She sits upright in 300 feet of water. The superstructure was largely destroyed in the atomic blast - what a surprise!

Thanks go to Tyler Stalter, Ross Overstreet and Dean Morrow whose relentless work uncovering wrecks and work with us to identify this wreck have been incredible. Dean has been working for years to uncover data on these wrecks. Countless others ahve been encouraging and helpful - there is a fantastic community in Socal that is really developing some interesting sites. Nick Ambrose also deserves a shout-out for help and encouragement.

In a weird way, we also owe some gratitude to UB88.org for pissing us off so much that we started working harder to uncover these wrecks. Thanks, Ray!

Some very bad footage: www.asainslie.com/videos/newsub.wmv . We were working with very tight deadlines (the area closed halfway through the day for navy exercises), a poor camera and only half my usual lighting. Apologies for the lousy footage.
    Radiation?

Perhaps we should have one of those story contests where each new poster adds a new piece.
    Which would soon by followed by a 400+ page book entitled "Skate Divers Exposed" contradicting the entire story...

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky  View Original Post
    Radiation?
    Nah - read up on bikini

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi  View Original Post
    Which would soon by followed by a 400+ page book entitled "Skate Divers Exposed" contradicting the entire story...
    :)
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Radiation: I did not notice any 2 headed sharks or ling cod with 5 eye balls, or 3 clawed lobsters on the video when I look at it ....

John

AP Evolution

Nah - read up on bikini

:)
    I have, besides being Prefix 5 qualified in a previous life. Baker, the underwater shot was the problem. I do know that the Skate was one of of a number of ships that the Navy could not decon, don't know what the half-life would be, I sure would ask the Navy their opinion. Glad to see there are so many experts on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by gato2  View Original Post
    Radiation: I did not notice any 2 headed sharks or ling cod with 5 eye balls, or 3 clawed lobsters on the video when I look at it ....

It is a good thing Andrew had the camera pointing forward....

AP Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi  View Original Post
    It is a good thing Andrew had the camera pointing forward....
    Well, apparently Lewrence Livermore Labs have declared the Bikini wrecks safe to dive, so have at it. But then it was said the Depleted Urainum Sabot rounds fired in Desert One posed no hazard. Hummmm!

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Sweet I will check out the vid. I still want to see if we can find the battle wagon I dropped bombs on in the Navy on the west side. I am pretty sure I know were it is but it is 400' of water.

What scooter are you using damn that thing is noisy.
    Last edited by Loanwolf; 11th February 2011 at 09:03.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Quote Originally Posted by Loanwolf  View Original Post
    Sweet I will check out the vid. I still want to see if we can find the battle wagon I dropped bombs on in the Navy on the west side. I am pretty sure I know were it is but it is 400' of water.

What scooter are you using damn that thing is noisy.
    We should talk. We have high res scanner data for most of the island.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

We should talk. We have high res scanner data for most of the island.
    We have it too just have not had the time to work on it. I still have to learn Triton myself, my buddy has been too busy lately to do much work on it. I believe he is still in Japan right now teaching new clients how to use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast