+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How much time before CCR?

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Re: How much time before CCR?

Good points. I know this seems to be a prevailing view of the rebreathers and it's easy to lay blame with something other than yourself. Everyone needs to take the responsibility for their own actions. It's my own stupidity that is trying to kill me. The machine is a mere creation with inherent failure points. If I fail to monitor it properly, fail to recognize failures when they occur, fail to respond to these failures appropriately, or make stupid decisions, then it is entirely my fault if it kills me.
    Last edited by Serge; 6th February 2011 at 13:01.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco  View Original Post
    How much OW experience is needed before making the jump to CCR diving?
    I started diving when RNPL tables were popular (probably overstated). I had a single 12 and it was a great introduction to diving. A dive to 50m could last as long as 5 minutes before your friends assumed you would die.

I then moved up, as most people did of that era, to a single with a pony. It soon became mandatory (in our club at least) to have an Octopus and it was frowned upon not to take a BCD in as well as your dry-suit. At this time 30m was classed as deep by most.

Then it was fashionable to buy a computer - Aladdin Black or the Suunto was the favoured choice (well, those were the ones the shop stocked, at least). For the poorer people we had the '88 Tables.

Next I swapped the 3L pony for a 12L one. Nowadays we call this independent-twins. Later I added a 7L to the side just for fun, but dives beyond 50m were still outlawed by our club. At about this time Nitrox was the devil-gas and the BSAC were losing members everyday.

Later, after I had left the BSAC, I got a proper twin-set - a big 300 bar one, and 2x7L sidemounts. It has a Red wing with Bungees. There were endless debated on the internet about Strokes and the race to dive the Flying Enterprise was on.

Then I found CCR, and all that OC stuff went on ebay.

If I were starting out again I'd ditch the OC completely - its a total waste of money and time if you're going CCR. The skills and the thinking process are different and the thinking process the same.

I'd say you need a few dives under your belt - just to make sure you like getting your face wet, then go CCR.

I doubt I could dive OC now - but unless some cells become available soon I just might have to.

Cheers
    Matt.

RBW Member crpntr133 is an unknown quantity at this point crpntr133's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    When your rebreather fails and you're forced to bailout, you'll be relying on solid OC skills to get you home.
    Probably the best advice that has been given.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crpntr133  View Original Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    When your rebreather fails and you're forced to bailout, you'll be relying on solid OC skills to get you home.
    Probably the best advice that has been given.
    ROTFL
    What are you guys smoking?

Can I have some?

Durban Diver SA Diver is an unknown quantity at this point SA Diver's Avatar
    inspiration Vision

Well stated by the others.
    Preferably go straight to CCR , OC divers are to confident and CC is a completely different type of diving all together , best to learn CC , as gas consumption remains the same be it 20ft or 200ft.
    Most important rule ('Know your O2 ppo at all times")

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

I've been looking closely at CCR mainly because of the benefits with deep diving. I've taken adv. Nit/deco. And have been looking to further my training and have basically decided I would start saving now for CCR in 3 or so years. I have a full oc kit but can't swallow extended range, then trimix and then the price of gas when I probably will go ccr anyway.
    For now I plan on diving as much as I can and enjoying oc for what it can do.

The worst thing is the anticipation and the patience involved with the wait.
    ( I plan on bringing back this post when I get my training on CCR when I finally get the money together)

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Garth  View Original Post
    I've been looking closely at CCR mainly because of the benefits with deep diving. I've taken adv. Nit/deco. And have been looking to further my training and have basically decided I would start saving now for CCR in 3 or so years. I have a full oc kit but can't swallow extended range, then trimix and then the price of gas when I probably will go ccr anyway.
    For now I plan on diving as much as I can and enjoying oc for what it can do.

The worst thing is the anticipation and the patience involved with the wait.
    ( I plan on bringing back this post when I get my training on CCR when I finally get the money together)
    One of the most common responses if not the most common from long time OC divers after taking up CCR is, 'Wish I had started this much earlier!' or something to that effect.

That being said, take your time to choose the unit that you'll prefer to suit your kind of diving. If possible go for try dives on the different units that you have narrowed down then you'll be a happy man when you have bought the correct unit for yourself.

Rgrds,
    Davy

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi DB,

I think at least 200 dives or more on OC before switching to CCR, half of them should be on Nitrox. This could take a few years depending on how much diving you can do in your free time. At least half should be at the islands if possible and not just beach dives. My decisions is based on few reasons: Diving in California where we have somewhat cold water, currents, and sometimes poor visibility and owning a dive boat where I have seen beginners advance to well seasoned divers.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Hi,

I would say go as soon as possible to CCR. It's better to learn / get experience on CCR than on OC if you want to go down this road anyway.

After 61 dives in 10 months on OC I did my first CCR dive. Did all the PADI stuff, Advanced Nitrox and Decompression and went for MOD1.

There is a lot to learn in diving, but why not do it on a CCR? You can do the first year(s) of diving on your CCR only easy dives for example. You have to start with air dil anyway. My AL80 became one of my bailout bottles and the BC was the only OC part that was left. Didn't spend a cent on technical diving gear.

I don't know what kind of diving you are doing, but if you are very comfortable doing it now on OC, then I would get the toy. Take your time, one step at a time, do a lot of diving, get to learn the thing. Better than eating yourself up for 2 years waiting for the big moment and rushing in.

You can bicycle for years, but if you want a motorcycle, I would go for it.
    Just be levelheaded about it.

But I'm almost 40, so maybe it's my midlife crisis . But that's maybe offset by the notion that I'm not invincible like I used to think when I was 20.

My 2 cents...

Jan
    Last edited by Jantje; 8th August 2011 at 21:42.

http://gekodivebali.com Cedrics is an unknown quantity at this point Cedrics's Avatar
    Evolution

After doing my Nitrox Tec courses and having done about 100 dives to 50+ meters, I decided to skip OC Trimix and train on CCRs. I'm eager to start training TDI mod 2 on Vision rebreathers and doing a JJ-CCR IART crossover this fall.
    The thinking was basically that there was no way I could afford doing some of the deep dives I want to do with OC Trimix. Figured out it would take me a while anyway to get the experience necessary to start CC Trimix. I think it's the best way for me although I have tried to make myself knowledgeable on OC Trimix through reading all the material I could get my hands on.
    As for OC equipment, my plan is to get what I will need anyway for staged bailouts, ie 1 O2 reg, 1 normal reg and 2 staged tanks. Also got Lift bags and few bits and pieces that I will need for CC anyway. I will also get a Trimix computer that can be upgraded to CC when needed. Also have to decide which rebreather to go for...
    Thanks to rebreatherworld for the amount of valuable info that can be found here, as this really helped in making my decisions...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3