+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much time before CCR?

RBW Member DiabloBlanco is an unknown quantity at this point DiabloBlanco's Avatar

How much time before CCR?

I have looked at some threads on this topic but still I am looking for some perspective. How much OW experience is needed before making the jump to CCR diving? I am heading toward Tech and spending a ton of money gearing up yet my buddies have 3-4 times the runtime on CCR's. I think I will end up buying a rebreather eventually anyway but would I be jumping the gun by heading that direction now?
    Thanks for any thoughts on this
    DB

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: How much time before CCR?

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco  View Original Post
    I have looked at some threads on this topic but still I am looking for some perspective. How much OW experience is needed before making the jump to CCR diving? I am heading toward Tech and spending a ton of money gearing up yet my buddies have 3-4 times the runtime on CCR's. I think I will end up buying a rebreather eventually anyway but would I be jumping the gun by heading that direction now?
    DB
    There are 2 schools of thought on this. A lot of crusty old barnacles that started diving in World War One will tell you that you need thousands and thousands of Deep Open Circuit Technical dives under your belt before you are allowed to so much as look at a Rebreather.

Speaking strictly for myself, I can tell you that that's not necesarilly true. I started diving doubles, and took advanced nitrox/ deco procedures, and after a while, I signed up for OC trimix. Then, I started diving with a guy who had a CCR. It amazed me. We could do profiles that gave me 20 minutes of deco before my gas switch, and he would have....no deco. I cancelled my trimix class, started saving up for a Meg, and never looked back. This really irritates some of the old guard- but the guys who were doing the dives I really wanted to do were all doing them on Rebreathers. I had been diving for less than 2 years when I got mine. And spending all that time and money on Open Circuit gear that I knew I'd end up selling anyway didn't seem like the right thing to do, somehow. Plus, doubles are really heavy.

I say, if you're sure you're headed down the tech path, and you really want to do some deeper dives- don't waste a lot of time on OC. Advanced Nitrox and deco is worthwhile, in my opinion- you learn how to handle stage bottles, and you're going to need adv. eanx anyway.

Be warned, though- CCRs are pretty freaking dangerous. We lose around 12-20 divers a year. Stick around this site for a while. You'll see what I mean. And they are expensive. And they can be a pita. I tell a lot of people that if I never planned on diving deeper than 200', I probably wouldn't bother. But deeper than that, I wouldn't want to be without one!

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

I'm probably a heretic (so burn me) but I don't think it's much.

Certainly I did a lot of fun hours on the twinset but I don't think it contributed much other than 'relaxed in the water' when I came over to the yellow side.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

DB
    please can you tell me ,
    what sort of dives are you doing were you buddies are doing 3-4 times your run time ,,

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

DB

Look mate, do a CCR try dive. Doesn't matter which CCR or even SCR. Just go do one with a reputable crowd. Spend at least an hour on the try dive. When you surface ask yourself - was that cool, or was that cool?If it wasn't, then you've just saved yourself a fortune. If it was, then you'll know you're hooked. Pick a breather (you don't need to buy one yet) and get some training. Doesn't matter which one - any old breather will do. Don't get hung up on a lot of the jargon and whatists around this brand or that brand. Get some time up. then decide what breather to buy. Easy peasy japanesy....

RBW Member steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision

I was in exactly the same position as you. Not sure whether to go OC trimix or just get a ccr. I did the OC mix course last May and bought a unit 6 months later. Which is exactly what my mate Steve did 2 years ago, and my buddy Dave. See a pattern here ? I'm glad I did the OC course though, and would take the same path again, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. I think it gives you valuable experience though. Up to you...it won't be wasted money if you go the OC route first. As regards the OC tech equipment, you won't lose much money on it (if any) especially if you get good 2nd hand stuff.
    One idea would be to do AN&DP (valuable stage skills) and do some deepish stuff with accelerated deco for 12 months while you're looking at units.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Early in 2006 I was asking myself the same question. Since I was sure I would end up with a CCR in the end I decided to bypass buying the OC gear and bought a nice used CCR for about the same price and took my course. I have been diving CCR ever since. I have taken all the course up to Expedition Trimix and also Cave using the CCR.

Mind you I am on my third different CCR. All the units had good and bad points. And when you are new you do not know which unit is best for you and the type of diving you will be doing.

John

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Sorry but farting around in a pool is a bad way to decide if you want a RB or not. Those try dives are great fun but lots of people don't get the hang of in in the first few hours and let's face it Rbs seem weird when you first get in the water with them.
    I believe you buy a RB when the type of diving you are doing is taking you to the limits of your current equipment and you are looking to extend your range.

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    Look mate, do a CCR try dive. Doesn't matter which CCR or even SCR. Just go do one with a reputable crowd. Spend at least an hour on the try dive. When you surface ask yourself - was that cool, or was that cool?If it wasn't, then you've just saved yourself a fortune. If it was, then you'll know you're hooked. Pick a breather (you don't need to buy one yet) and get some training. Doesn't matter which one - any old breather will do. Don't get hung up on a lot of the jargon and whatists around this brand or that brand. Get some time up. then decide what breather to buy. Easy peasy japanesy....
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

. How much OW experience is needed before making the jump to CCR diving?
    You need a good control of some basic skills (buoyancy, trim, finning etc), and being able to handle some emergency situations (for example, emergency ascent, out -of-gas situation) without panicking.

I see logic in getting training in OC in controlled conditions for cave diving, wrecks, etc.

But for going deep, and after some time (let's say 100 hours in CCR in OW conditions), I would go on CCR directly, having your trimix and deco classes on CCR.

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

I've only been cert'd (IANTD - rEvo) since Sept. '10 and have a different perspective than some others. I was diving twins for 4 yrs (singles before that) doing accel deco, before I gave serious thought to CCR. I am thankful for the years of experience that I had prior to going CCR. I believe the skill-set that I learned on OC has helped me out a lot. Sure, while training I felt like a total newbie (which I was/am) and wondered if my years of OC came into play at all. Even after this short time on CCR, I can see that the OC experience definitely helped, especially with the comfort level in the water. As everyone here knows, there's a lot of necessary attention to details when diving with a CCR. I'm not sure that I would have been as focused had I not had a lot of experience with different finning techniques, trim, buoyancy, multi-tasking, little/no viz, etc. So, for me, I'm glad that I had the background diving OC before making the switch. YMMV and I wish you the best with safe diving whichever way you decide to go.

Franco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast