Closed Thread

Thread: HMS Foyle - Jan 26th

RBW Member Kieran Hatton is on a distinguished road Kieran Hatton is on a distinguished road Kieran Hatton's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo, Meg, X-CCR

HMS Foyle - Jan 26th

I was fortunate to get the oppurtunity to dive the Foyle yesterday as a guest of Plymouth Sound BSAC.

Laying in 50m she makes a good shallow gas dive to get back in the swing things. The shot was in on one of the forward boilers; this was a new wreck to me and laying quite flat on the sea bed getting the lay of the land took a few mins. Forward of the boilers not much remains [she struck a mine on the bow] and has settled well into the seabed. A couple of admrialty boilers stick out obviously as well as one of the engines and propshaft leading off to the stern. There is no evidence of the prop on the end of this shaft though the rudder can be made out. On the seabed just to the side of the forward boiler is a 12 pound gun. While this wreck has certainly been worked hard over the years there is still a lot of detail worth looking at.
    Loads of life on the wreck including some monster congers and a good smattering of scallops around and about; she is a popular local target for angling boats so there is quite a bit of lost fishing gear on the wreck.

Vis was a darkish 5-6m, but this rapidly decreases if folk kick the bottom up as it is quite siilty.
    Water temp, 9 degrees [thats 48 in US money]

HMS Foyle, built 1902, 225 feet long.
    She struck a mine in the Dover Straights in March 1917 blowing off the bow and killing 27 crew, she sank just outside Plymouth while under tow to Devonport.

There is a wealth of information on the Southwest Mafia Wreck Report

Well thats 2011 up and running for me, fingers crossed for a good one!

HMS Foyle

The JJ performed well, 27mins on the wreck giving me an hour in the water overall..

Kieran

Team HPDW Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

JJ-CCR - KISS Classic

Re: HMS Foyle - Jan 26th

Good one Kieran, not managed to get in the salty stuff this year (In the UK at least) yet so maybe I should convince The Current Mrs Bailey that we should live closer to the coast.
    Hope to catch up soon
    Last edited by Paul Bailey; 27th January 2011 at 09:39.

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bailey  View Original Post
    Good one Kieran, not managed to get in the salty stuff this year yet so maybe I should convince The Current Mrs Bailey that we should live closer to the coast.
    Hope to catch up soon
    Can I then move in with you Paul?
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Team HPDW Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

JJ-CCR - KISS Classic

If I get to play with some of your toys then yes, no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    Can I then move in with you Paul?

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

If I get to play with some of your toys then yes, no problem at all.
    You can "have a go" at all of it mate any time you like.

Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

RBW Member Kieran Hatton is on a distinguished road Kieran Hatton is on a distinguished road Kieran Hatton's Avatar

Good one Kieran, not managed to get in the salty stuff this year (In the UK at least) yet so maybe I should convince The Current Mrs Bailey that we should live closer to the coast.
    Hope to catch up soon
    Yep be good to catch up, living on the coast can have its perks, but I deserve it; I grew up in Coventry!

RBW Member SoggyBottoms is an unknown quantity at this point SoggyBottoms's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Inspo Vision, Draeger O2

Hi Kieran,

what JJ config are you running?
    Have you kept to the standard or something akin to Richie's top valve 7's?
    Asking as it's a fascinating topic really.

Charlie
    (also originally from CV)

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms  View Original Post
    Hi Kieran,

what JJ config are you running?
    Have you kept to the standard or something akin to Richie's top valve 7's?
    Asking as it's a fascinating topic really.

Charlie
    (also originally from CV)
    I'm running the JJ as standard; I dived Rich's unit quite a lot at the begining of last year and really liked it, infact I have 7's here for mine. One thing that has stopped me with the 7's is the size it makes the unit for getting into the wrecks in Scapa.
    I'd hoped the onboard bailout would of meant I didn't need to carry a stage into the wrecks, but I've found the combination of a narrower unit and carrying a stage more manageable than the wider unit in the wrecks [thus far].

Kieran

RBW Member SoggyBottoms is an unknown quantity at this point SoggyBottoms's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Inspo Vision, Draeger O2

Thanks Kieran

Hopefully I'll gain the skills / experience to join you on one of your Scapa Wreck weeks in the future.

Charlie

Closed Thread