+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truk lagoon with CCR, continental airlines lights

Johnny Lambert dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur's Avatar
    Mini meg

Inspiration

Truk lagoon with CCR, continental airlines lights

Hi all,

in a couple of months I am going to Truk with continental airlines. (Belgium- Newark-Hawaï-Truk).
    What are the recent rules about hand luggage with continental in this area?

I was planning to put:

-ccr+camera housing+divegear in 2 checked classic Samsonite cases (2 * 23kg max)
    -diving computers + laptop + camera + maybe ccr electronic in my handluggage. (18kg max)

Any experience about traveling in this part of the world with a ccr head in the cabin?
    Maybe easier to put diving computers and all strange devices in checked luggages?

I am not very happy to put all that expensive kits in a luggage I will not be able to take care next to me during the trip.

tx for your help, your experience...

Johnny

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

Re: Truk lagoon with CCR, continental airlines lights

Quote Originally Posted by dodelineur  View Original Post
    Hi all,

in a couple of months I am going to Truk with continental airlines. (Belgium- Newark-Hawaï-Truk).
    What are the recent rules about hand luggage with continental in this area?

I was planning to put:

-ccr+camera housing+divegear in 2 checked classic Samsonite cases (2 * 23kg max)
    -diving computers + laptop + camera + maybe ccr electronic in my handluggage. (18kg max)

Any experience about traveling in this part of the world with a ccr head in the cabin?
    Maybe easier to put diving computers and all strange devices in checked luggages?

I am not very happy to put all that expensive kits in a luggage I will not be able to take care next to me during the trip.

tx for your help, your experience...

Johnny
    We did Truk in 2008, both Brian and I carried our Megs (the whole unit, disassembled) as carry-on luggage. We had no problems at all. We spent a few days on Guam on the way out, and when we were going through security (4 of us with breathers) one guy said "these are rebreathers, but they aren't yellow!" They are pretty accustomed to seeing such things out there. Lots of dive travel in that part of the world.

Enjoy- you'll have a great time!

RBW Member recomprssd is an unknown quantity at this point recomprssd's Avatar

i left the head on the canister and TSA in hawaii paged me at the last moment.
    i had to take my bag apart and dissassemble it to show it wasn't a "scuba tank".

best to take it apart so TSA can examine everything and it won't look like contraband on xray.

dave t

RBW Member RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17's Avatar

I've been doing pretty much the same as Heather - taking the whole meg minus tanks in the carry on. I stuff the computer and same small object inside the scrubber.

I also take the laptop as a carry on into the cabin.
    Rest of the stuff goes to checked luggage.
    I have been traveling like that since I've got my Meg. They(TSA) always want to open carry on - usually just take a peek, sometimes asked a question or two, twice took a swab test, but newer more than that.
    rgrds
    Tomek

RBW Member bigblue_hi is an unknown quantity at this point bigblue_hi's Avatar
    Titan

I lived in Pohnpei from 1999-2005 and have flown Air Mike more times than I'd care to... little advice - Pack everything in garbage bags inside your luggage.

If you're flying the bumpalong that goes from HNL to Guam (used to stop on Johnston and Kwaj also but I think it only stops at Majuro/Kosrae/Pohnpei now), people tend to pack stuff in coolers.. you don't want fish juice all over your gear!! Trust me! My dad was a commercial fisherman and that stuff reeks.

I also would not recommend packing heat-sensitive electronics/sensors in your checked as things are very "informal" there and it's quite likely your checked baggage will be sitting on the hot tarmac for a while.

Also, people tend to abuse the carry-on guidance - doubt that's changed since I left, I would recommend minimizing your carryon. Those planes can really get packed!

Enjoy Micronesia!

/r
    - bri
    Last edited by bigblue_hi; 5th March 2011 at 13:24.

Johnny Lambert dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur's Avatar
    Mini meg

Inspiration

Hi

Most of you seems to carry the meg in cabin with you. How will react TSA people at JFK and HNL seing it? Any advice to make it easier?
    If ccr in checked luggages, is there a way to be present when they open the case?
    And what is the best way to travel with the batteries? I have lithium batts in the head, was thinking about leaving them unconnectd in the batteryboxes. And having some alcaline classic batteries in my handluggage.

Tx for help

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I used to hand carry my Meg but eventually they wore me down after many, many hold ups and hassles when trying to get it passed through security screening.

I now hand carry my UW camera in a roller bag and take the loop and head in a backpack with my computer. I have never had any hassles with hand carry when flying Continental Micronesia...They have not weighed it ever and both usually go around 16kgs each!!

The remainder of the Meg gets distributed around in with my checked luggage.

Gone are the good old days when you could get away with almost anything...... Now days there are Airlines weighing and charging for hand carry!!!

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member topjake is an unknown quantity at this point topjake's Avatar
    rEvo

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by dodelineur  View Original Post
    Hi

Most of you seems to carry the meg in cabin with you. How will react TSA people at JFK and HNL seing it? Any advice to make it easier?
    If ccr in checked luggages, is there a way to be present when they open the case?
    And what is the best way to travel with the batteries? I have lithium batts in the head, was thinking about leaving them unconnectd in the batteryboxes. And having some alcaline classic batteries in my handluggage.

Tx for help
    You never can tell here in the US anymore, changes day to day. I was just in Chuuk in Sept./Oct. with a group and we had no troubles at all with carrying our rebreathers. I carried my complete rEvo on the plane (minus the cylinders) without any questions. One of the guys in our group carried complete meg, cylinders and full canister of sorb assembled as carry-on. No problems with TSA. Our biggest challenge was competing for overhead bin space since no one checks baggage anymore.

I would not check the Meg head. At least carry it and the loop as Lance suggests. Don't count on being able to be present for the inspection of your luggage. There are no standard procedures for TSA, so you never know what will happen (it's fun that way). Maybe bring some MEG documents, brochure or something to show TSA what a rebreather is incase they ask? Carry the batteries with you as TSA does not like to see batteries in checked luggage. And like Lance says, "Gone are the good old days . . ." Good luck and enjoy Truk Lagoon!

+ Reply to Thread