+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long to dive after Bilateral knee replacements

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

How long to dive after Bilateral knee replacements

To any of you diving docs out there:

Can you let me know typically how long I should wait after having bilateral knee replacement surgery?

I had the surgery last Monday on December 13. The operations went well. My surgeon does not know how much time I should wait until diving. He indicated I can return back to work in 6 weeks or so, and that typically healing from these types of operations is 6 months minimum. I am a bit younger than the typical patient for this type of operation though, and heal quickly, not that I plan on rushing into anything.

Myprimary concern is the increased risk of DCS from the scar tissue and bones being sawn etc... I won't be even attempting to dive until I have rehabbed the knees and have no weight bearing issues.

In 2007 I had a complete wrist fusion and DAN advised to lay off diving until the time to heal had doubled. In that case I waited 6 months from the date of surgery until diving and everything went well with no DCS issues, although there was a lot of wrist and hand swelling as a result of latex dry suit cuffs and RDS.

I eased back into diving after that op doing very conservative dive profiles other than the swelling things went really well.

Any info you could provide, or literature you could refer me to is appreciated.

S. Marc

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: How long to dive after Bilateral knee replacements

Sorry you had to have both knees replaced and wish you a speedy road to recovery!!

As to you question: How about calling on DAN again. I am sure they have more than one person pose that question related to TKR's and thus more experience. Even if I ask the orthopedics I work with, I am sure they don't know either. Perhaps you will find a diving orthopedic surgeon who might be able to give you more insight through DAN. My guess is that you are looking at least at 6 months staying dry. But that is all that is......a guess.

Hope somebody can help you and that you can dive safely, soon.

Claudia

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

To be honest I'm not sure that there is a "right" answer to this.

Function and fitness are as important as time. You need to be steady on your feet and able to cope in the boat gearing up. Theoretical pressure issues are not really likely to be as important as strength.

Given that it will be a minimum of 3 months before you'll get a good idea of how well your new knees are going to work I'd suggest 6 months.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Have you thought of a one atmosphere solution?

Private Submarines - Kemp Marine

Sandy

+ Reply to Thread