+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rethinking bailout

Martin Gregory Clerkin MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC's Avatar
    rEvoIII

Hammer Meg, Meg, Kiss, Inspo

Andrew, great write up and a very sobering one at that! Glad you made it out okay.

Plays with High Voltage trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00's Avatar
    KISS classic

Re: Rethinking bailout

My first time reading this thread since I am new here. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. Gives me just that much more info to use in the event that I have to calm myself down under pressure and what to double check as the situation allows. It gives a very sobering look at SAC rate during high stress.

Glad you kept it together enough to write this.

Walt

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Congratulations Andrew on getting some awesome experience! Equally happy you are able to share your wisdom with us.

Some of the events inducing increased RMV appear to be caused by the "mouse trap" effect.
    From the human perspective, a mouse trap is a simple device. To the mouse, it is baffling since it is nothing more than a piece of cheese, until it's too late of course.
    Diving is a bit like that as well. Paradoxically however, the diver is sometimes the human in the above and at times can also be the mouse both physically and intellectually.
    The big thing is when the trap springs, you had better hope you either were conservative enough, well trained and possibly very lucky.

The mouse trap in this case includes:
    1- RB hose failure
    2- Stage valve roll-off
    3- Line mixup
    4- lost line
    5- reg deployment

Constructive questions include:
    1- Hardening a RB design is hard work. Could there have been added pre-dive testing to avoid the condition in the field on a real dive? Now that this has happened, is there a better hose?
    2- Is it possible to build the reflex to check the valve regularly? Is it possible to install a knob less suceptible to this condition?
    3- Is line discipline a basic skill issue? Most cave classes involve trying to lead the students astray on the line. After getting "killed" a few times, people get wise. Task loading was an issue at this point.
    4- Same as 3...
    5- Same as previous.

There are certainly enough serious events to warrant being unsettled in OH.

One added factor seldom mentioned but can be felt sometimes on mixed gas dives on OC. Changing from the RB with a pO2 at 1.x to OC means that the pN2 goes up on the switch. For those who have experienced the "sinking" feeling of switching gases that result in increased pN2 and can sometimes induce a bit of disorientation or uneasiness. Combine this with increased CO2 from higher RMV and it can make for unsettling changes.

It is a great idea to share these events. The idea is not only to encourage caution but to try to think about how you might feel in various scenarios. This would be to a mind to foster composure and slowing down the RMV.

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Good read AA, thanks for sharing.

I think an important skill to be teached is to stop and evaluate when something goes wrong. We have a natural tendency to get tunnel vision or get fixated on a problem when it occurs. I've seen it a lot in mountain climbing where people climb themselves in worse situations when they get a problem. The same applies for people who get lost in the woods. There are numerous examples / stories found where people just keep on pushing when it's better to stop, breath, check everything and evaluate your options.

Regards,

Jan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3