+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Norway, Rörvik / November 2010

RBW Member Sturmer is on a distinguished road Sturmer is on a distinguished road Sturmer's Avatar
    The Mighty Meg APECS 2.7

Norway, Rörvik / November 2010

Hi everyone,

This is a short report from our excellent one week trip to Norway on mid november 2010.

Norway and Rörvik -area

When planning our late fall-trip this year, we basically had two options; either to do one week liveaboard safari at red sea or to go freeze our selves in Norway… the choice was actually quite easy to do and obvious.

The Rörvik area (in the middle of Norway) was selected mainly because it involves some of the best wrecks at the nordic countries. There is also deep walls and nature diving spots available but our goal was to visit the wrecks!

We did totally of 8 dives on five days period, which was sufficient amount of diving, considering the water temperature (4-8 celsius) and general conditions at this time of year. We did two dives per day and had one rest day on the middle of the week. This was my first trip with my rebreather and I was pleased to count almost the same total diving time as in recreational red sea safari with OC gear.

The diving

Shake off -dive. We tested our gear on the nearby wall that had nothing too special to offer. I assume these walls provide more to see during the summer season.

S/S Blaafeld
    This 70 metres long steamship was waiting to join a convoy from Norway to Britain on may 1940 when she was attacked by a group of German bombers. Altought the vessel took no hits, the crew decided to sank the ship to protect nearby village and avoid enemy capture. She rests completely intact at 36 metres providing a "donald-duck" wreck experience.

S/S Sekstant

S/S Sekstant is said to be the best preserved wreck in Norway. She was also hiding at the same cove next to S/S Blaafeld when the bombers attacked on may 1940. Sekstant was hit by a bomb against starboard and sank within few hours. The wreck rests at a depth of 50-65 metros and about 10 minutes boat trip from nearby harbor.

S/S Nerva

The wreck is 90 metres long and rests on her keel on a slope. The shallowest part is at 30 metres and the bow at 45 metres. The Nerva was stranded just off Rörvik on February 1943 en route from Fineidet to Germany, with a cargo of iron ore.

Diving center

We booked our stay with NDive.no -diving center that provided excellent level of accommodation and dive operations. If interested, see more information at: ndive - HOME

We had a great week and all equipment worked flawlessly. I definitely recommend the Rörvik area if you are into wreck diving!

Best,

/Henrik

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Re: Norway, Rörvik / November 2010

Hi, really nice pics, thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Ossi

RBW Member Zuercher is an unknown quantity at this point Zuercher's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,Triton M3S

Ap Inspiration Classic

Looks fantastic! Something to keep in mind for the future...
    Thanks for sharing!

Old st(r)ockfish Naumachos is on a distinguished road Naumachos is on a distinguished road Naumachos's Avatar
    Megalodon 2.5

Amazing...snow apart.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Nice photo s ,
    Droping in to the engine room is my farvert

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Looks absolutely amazing! I would love to dive that area sometime! Thank you very much for the write up and sharing the photos!

Warm regards,
    Randy

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Thanks for the pics, awesome. I dived in Norway (south, skottevik) before 2 years and must go back, i hope this year in autum.

Again great pics and thank you.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

nice report, especially the photos! have some green!
    g

Gill Envy

RBW Member abohmann is an unknown quantity at this point abohmann's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Nice report and very nice pictures. I am going to Norway(Bergen) in June next year and look forward!
    Thanks for the report!

BR
    Andy
    Last edited by abohmann; 11th December 2010 at 16:12. Reason: typo..

+ Reply to Thread