+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which small compact waterproof camera

RBW Member Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote's Avatar
    LAR VI ,CDBA, Fenzy po68

Dolphin,Ray,Copis,Sports kiss

Which small compact waterproof camera

Im looking to buy a new waterproof camera (10m would be perfect) .
    Possibly be able to make short films with it, easy to use and easy to connect to lap top or pc . Rather not have a housing .

Any recommendations please ?

Dean

RBW Member bigblue_hi is an unknown quantity at this point bigblue_hi's Avatar
    Titan

Re: Which small compact waterproof camera

I have a Lumix TS 2. It'll go to 10 meters out of the box. There's also an Ikelite ultracompact housing available for it which I use. While this doubles the size it is still very compact. I can clip it off and not really notice.

Some video here if you want to get an idea -

Stills here - In the water - a set on Flickr

My only complaint is the autofocus can get lost sometimes. Also the the Motion JPEG compression doesn't handle gradients the best.

These are small complaints though, it's pretty good for the price. Some people have complained that the controls are small but I don't think it's a big deal (Though I dive tropical water without gloves) - and I use the housing anyway. If you're accustomed to SLRs you'll suffer the usual frustration of feeling like it's getting in the way at times - typical compact camera.

I did have some issues with the Ikelite housing and I had to modify it a bit for some of the controls to work properly, but it was nothing shims and super glue couldn't fix.
    Last edited by bigblue_hi; 15th March 2011 at 11:06.

RBW Member jnroy is an unknown quantity at this point jnroy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Coote  View Original Post
    Im looking to buy a new waterproof camera (10m would be perfect) .
    Possibly be able to make short films with it, easy to use and easy to connect to lap top or pc . Rather not have a housing .

Any recommendations please ?

Dean

Gopro with a modified housing form sartek or eye of mine cant go owrong with that !!!

RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    KISS Classic

+2 for the GoPro with the Sartek housing. Not the best in a cave without video lights but open water with ambient light is awesome. Plus using the head strap means just dive and let it roll. Very easy to use. Sartek usually has the camera and housing instock.

Doug

+ Reply to Thread