+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What rebreather should i choose for photo

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Re: What rebreather should i choose for photo

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hmmm... Lets compile a list, shall we?

Howard Hall : Mark 15.5
    Bob Cranston : Mark 15.5
    Marty Snyderman : Mark 15.5
    John McKenney : Mark 15.5
    Kevin Juergensen : Mark 16
    Ken Corben : Mark 15.5
    Hugh Miller : Mark 15.5
    Mark Thurlow : Mark 15.5
    Mike Severns : Mark 15.5

The filmmakers/photographers in that list are a pretty impressive bunch...

Even if I do say so myself...

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Mostly "old farts"
    When most of these guys started diving ccrs that really was the only choice.. I bet if most just started out today I doubt the list would look anything like it does now..

personally I have dove the "MK15" series and absolutely hated them.. I wouldn't own own except to add to the colection...
    Last edited by jradomski; 7th December 2010 at 15:46.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    Mostly "old farts" ;)

When most of these guys started diving ccrs that really was the only choice.. I bet if most just started out today I doubt the list would look anything like it does now..

personally I have dove the "MK15" series and absolutely hated them.. I wouldn't own own except to add to the colection...
    Howard and Bob continue to make IMAX 3D films underwater, and (my guess) is they both could afford any rig on the planet (maybe even 10 of them).

But you got the "old farts" part right. Better an "old fart" than a "dead fart" I always say...

Kevin.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    I bet if most just started out today I doubt the list would look anything like it does now..
    Yeah...because I'm sure APD just gives rebreathers away as sponsorships so that they will get exposure.

RBW Member Leo is an unknown quantity at this point Leo's Avatar

Thank you guys - alot of good ideas and comments around. Unfortunally its not easy to get a nice clean answer.

I will of course invest alot of time just flying the unit before start doing photo/video.

Its important that its easy to get the necessary spareparts within a reeasonable time. It is also importan it is well know for reability - i often find myself in unique dive spots with only this one opportunity to get the shots.

I hoped to be able to carry the bailout gass on the unit on the regular shallow dives, but it sounds like this is not recomended.

90 % of my dives are in a drysuits, and i have logged more than 2000 dives on OC - with some tech diving down to 80 m.

Im used to OC DIR setup, and would like to use backmounted lungs. But i sometimes shoot straight up toward the suface and on my back. Is this possible?

Thank you again i really appreciate your comments

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

I have worked with most rebreathers commonly available (but not the Sentinel). Bearing in mind that I don't do extreme diving, my criteria are reliability, setup & maintenance overhead between dives, comfort to dive with and ease of use as I always have a camera to worry about. I currently have a rEvo hybrid and if buying now the only other contenders would be a JJ hybrid or maybe a Meg modified to hybrid and bmcl.

The reason, other than that the rEvo is very easy and comfortable to dive with and has minimal between dive faff, is that some types of diving are better suited to eccr, others are better suited to mccr, and I have to take pictures on any type of dive, not just technical wreck dives. A hybrid also gives more options on re-configuring to keep it working in the field. The split scrubber reduces costs and makes a difference to my accounts.

As has been noted by others, you need to be so rebreather practised that all the basic safety during the dive becomes automatic, even with the distraction of a camera and an interesting subject.
    Last edited by John Liddiard; 8th December 2010 at 00:27.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Leo  View Original Post
    Im used to OC DIR setup, and would like to use backmounted lungs. But i sometimes shoot straight up toward the suface and on my back. Is this possible?
    Not a problem for me and I shot that way at least 30% of the time

Don't believe the WOB hype some chest mounted divers will throw at you. I have dove many units both front and back mounted counter lungs and can't hardly tell the difference in any of them.

Of course all Rebreathers will have an optimal position, but not optimal is more than tolerable

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

I hoped to be able to carry the bailout gass on the unit on the regular shallow dives, but it sounds like this is not recomended.
    Even if you are in shallow water and do not have any decompression, your 3l onboard is not appropriate. Gas volume is too low, no redundancy and how will you share with your gas divebuddy if needed? A alu40 or 7L is no problem to carry under your arm and if you use a armadillo butt plate, it is almost gone!

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Thank you again i really appreciate your comments
    it really depends in what you mean shoot straight up.. if you mean "laying" on your back waiting for a shot.... it depends.. for a short duration its bearable (some units moreso than others), if you have to hang out for an extended period of time BM lungs are a pain.. If shooting up means your body is somewhat vertical and looking up, then its fine...

I dive both, and normally prefer OTS lungs.. altough the new Golem TOS lungs for the HH show alot of promise...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

I use a HH with TOS counterlungs currently. I have been shooting UW since 1996, but that was OC only except for a couple times with a semi-closed in 1997. I changed to a eCCR in 2008. In my experience with the OTS counterlungs and on my back, the WOB is fine. Odd thing I noticed was a wet mouth, due to spit accumulating in my old BOV going straight down into my mouth. That wasn't much, just different than the old days, when shooting on the back. The HH eCCR is large, and the 4 liter CL's are bulky and take some getting used to. Would I recommend the HH for photography? No, I would go with a dedicated BMCL unit such as a rEvo. No clutter on the chest at all. Yes, if you go lay on your back it'll be more of a challenge. In all my years of shooting, only 10% of the time was flat on my back, and that was to get the sun behind the subject, and when I was trying to frame some foreground in, that left me no room to descend deeper. Overall, the Hammerhead is a great eCCR, and it helps me out in many ways. I would recommend you try as many types of CCR's as you can before you make your choice. Don't go any particular route because of the convenience/opinion of your possible instructor. Take your time, study all the possibilities. Don't get pushed into any choice, as it's your investment and it's substantial. There are many viable CCR's on the market today.
    Best,
    -Dan

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Howard Hall : Mark 15.5
    Bob Cranston : Mark 15.5
    Marty Snyderman : Mark 15.5
    John McKenney : Mark 15.5
    Kevin Juergensen : Mark 16
    Ken Corben : Mark 15.5
    Hugh Miller : Mark 15.5
    Mark Thurlow : Mark 15.5
    Mike Severns : Mark 15.5

The filmmakers/photographers in that list are a pretty impressive bunch...
    Anyone notice that he always has to put himself a half-point above the rest?