+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What rebreather should i choose for photo

RBW Member Bryan T is an unknown quantity at this point Bryan T's Avatar

Re: What rebreather should i choose for photo

There is a travel frame for the INSPO/EVEL what the vission with the HUD and bov is what I dive. Works great I worked in the film industry here in Canada and do most of my diving here no problem with the cold. I love my unit wouldn't trade it for any other. I could go on and on.

My 2 cents

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

You've suggested some good models. eCCR is generally a good idea for photographers, but as a previous poster has pointed out, you won't be taking that camera with you until the unit is second nature.

There are some really good rebreathers out there now. I would see what your regular friends/buddies are doing. If you can generally have the same model then you can share spares and tools, check each other more easily and be able to share tips and experience and confidence.

There are several really good units now, so if you know Meg divers, get a Meg and ask them all the little questions as you go along. If you know rEvo divers, get a rEvo and dive with those guys. If you know Inspo folks, get an Inspo... etc.

It's so much easier learning when you have a group of peers and mentors to help.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

I would have to disagree that an eccr is better for photography.

I would feel they are probably more the same.

Of course the best CCR for a professional photographer is the one that works all the time and can be repaired with ease in the field

Your paying clients are not going to like that you did not get the shots because you could not dive because your complicated unit screwed up

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Hmmm... Lets compile a list, shall we?

Howard Hall : Mark 15.5
    Bob Cranston : Mark 15.5
    Marty Snyderman : Mark 15.5
    John McKenney : Mark 15.5
    Kevin Juergensen : Mark 16
    Ken Corben : Mark 15.5
    Hugh Miller : Mark 15.5
    Mark Thurlow : Mark 15.5
    Mike Severns : Mark 15.5

The filmmakers/photographers in that list are a pretty impressive bunch...

Even if I do say so myself...

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    I would have to disagree that an eccr is better for photography.

I would feel they are probably more the same.

Of course the best CCR for a professional photographer is the one that works all the time and can be repaired with ease in the field

Your paying clients are not going to like that you did not get the shots because you could not dive because your complicated unit screwed up
    Good advice from a real photographer. Im too busy pushing buttons and breathing to comment, but I would have thought that the ability to stay still is also important for photography. I see loads of CCR sharks in wetsuits (If you stop swimming you sink to the bottom :))

A lightweight unit that trims out nicely must be a consideration??

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Good advice from a real photographer. Im too busy pushing buttons and breathing to comment, but I would have thought that the ability to stay still is also important for photography. I see loads of CCR sharks in wetsuits (If you stop swimming you sink to the bottom :))

A lightweight unit that trims out nicely must be a consideration??

Yes, the number one thing a diver must have to become a skilled professional underwater photographer is to be able to dive very well.

Than get LOTS of experience on a selected rebreather so your not just trying to run what is keeping you alive and not concentrating on getting the shots you need.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Most of them anyway. ;).

I love the fact that even KJ still thinks 15s are the best (and he makes a pretty good unit himself).

Megman armed with DeepRed opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby's Avatar
    Cave Megalodon ,Shearwater

I trained on the SM1600 (Mark 15.5) and I now use a Spun down Cave Meg with shearwater Predator for professional film making and I can tell you the maintenance and setup times are far less than the SM1600. The Meg is far more reliable.

Silent diver
    Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci's Avatar
    Meg,JJ-CCR,Inspiration,Prism2

Ouroboros, Sentinel, Kiss,rEvo

Of course,
    the MK 15 it's one of the best units ever built.
    But it's true that is also quite fragile, uses special components, it's a bit bulky and heavy to carry, besides the fact that cost almost double compared to next-generation rebreather.
    For major productions, weight and other dimensions are not a problem, but for all other cases, which are much more numerous, the weight clutter is a fundamental problem.
    In some cases we were forced to leave home ours rebs, and use OC hired on place, because the weight at our disposal was used to housing, cameras, and lighting.
    In my experience, two units are ideals : Meg and JJ, for their versatility and standard spares.
    My lightest configuration:
    Mini meg shaved with Shadow Jacket without Harness and Wings.
    2 liter carbon tanks
    Hoses without first stages
    I think a reb so lighter and reliable it is difficult to found.

Best

Aldo

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Aldo Ferrucci
    Trimix and Rebreather IT
    Technical CCR/OC Training for Diver and Instructor in Italian - French - English in Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland,Spain, Red Sea and beyond
    Megalodon/Copis - Inspiration/Evolution - JJ-CCR - Poseidon Discovery MKVI - Instructor Trainer and Dealer

www.aldoferrucci.com FB Aldo Ferrucci
    I like bubbles only in my glass of Champagne

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

one thing I have not seen talked about is the shooting sytle of the photographer... If all the shooting is done from prone or slightly head up position, any unit will work fine, but if the diver tends to take photos of things above them where they need to "lay on their backs" then most BM lungs need to be avoided as you really cant stay in this position..

the "MK15" sytle rebreathers were designed for work, so they work well when the diver is somewhat vertical in the water column, they definately dont swim well compared to most other rigs...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.