+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What rebreather should i choose for photo

RBW Member Leo is an unknown quantity at this point Leo's Avatar

What rebreather should i choose for photo

Hello I have been reading on this forums for a long time and is debating weather to plounge into the dark side.

Im a semi professional uw photographer. My main reason for going into rebreather is the following Little or less bubbels, gass logistics, varm air in cold conditions.extended bottomtime.

I want to be able to dive to moderate depth , max 40 meter with the possibility to have the bailoutgass on the rebreather.

I should be able to dive to 80 90 meters when im doin deep tech photography.

I have looked with interest on the JJ, and Revo, althoug Meg is the most common among the few that is diving RB where Im from.

Backmounted lungs maybe?

What would you guys recomend for a photographer? what rebreather?

Thank you

L

Wannabe...diven sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit's Avatar
    the best oNe

Re: What rebreather should i choose for photo

I don't think any of your fine choices can carry a reasonable amount of gas onboard to bail out from 40m. But an exta bottle is very easy to manage...especially if you have back mounted lungs

Revo has some other extras for you like being fairly local but I don't know what you'd ever need to send it in for. Only draw back is in cold water the manual add buttons can get difficult to operate with cold hand but that can be fixed with the offboard kit which in my opinion should be mandatory equipment anyway.

Best of luck, you've got some hard decisions.

Josh

i ko nix dafüa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfüm

you have good rebreather in your basket.
    for photo i would prefer a backmounted counterlung.
    also a eccr is nice to have
    coldwater diving? jj or meg
    coldwater and airplanes? jj
    gruss sepp

RBW Member Zuercher is an unknown quantity at this point Zuercher's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,Triton M3S

Ap Inspiration Classic

I would say JJ-CCR:
    It's just superior, few things good for photographer:
    -ECCR, less work, gives you free hands for your camera
    -Predator controller, OLED display easy to see in total darkness also
    -HUD, which you can see your partial pressure, not only warnings
    -back mounted counter lungs, less clutter front side
    -all and all, JJ is the unit which you don't need to modify afterwards, it's super straight out from the box inclusive BOV .

Silent diver
    Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci's Avatar
    Meg,JJ-CCR,Inspiration,Prism2

Ouroboros, Sentinel, Kiss,rEvo

Hi Leo,
    I worked for a long time in cinema, as master of
    diving operations and as an operator, I did as an assistant lights
    underwater for photographers and videographers, as well as using
    camera and camcorder in my free time.
    If I can give some advice, before even thinking of using a
    rebreather during shooting photos or video, you must have enough
    experience to be able to devote only a part of your attention to
    rebreather.
    During filming, the operator is totally focused on his work,
    and is not able to monitor closely his rebreather not yet
    owns 100%.
    Remember that all the best photographers and videographers during their work have always been a close assistant to check them.

As for the choice, look well around, read various comments on this site (It 's definitely a major source of information you can find on the net), try to prove more than one, choosing between those most common in the market.
    A key feature for your use, is the possibility of you can easily carry the rebreather, and the possibility of use various types of cylinders to save weight for transport aircraft.

Best

Aldo
    Attached Images
    Aldo Ferrucci
    Trimix and Rebreather IT
    Technical CCR/OC Training for Diver and Instructor in Italian - French - English in Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland,Spain, Red Sea and beyond
    Megalodon/Copis - Inspiration/Evolution - JJ-CCR - Poseidon Discovery MKVI - Instructor Trainer and Dealer

www.aldoferrucci.com FB Aldo Ferrucci
    I like bubbles only in my glass of Champagne

Thought about Sentinel ?

a bit bulky for traveling but with travel kit it is not that much of the problem.

You can use on board tank as bailout in proper configuration

Definitely good unit for dives up to 100m and works great i cold water.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by subbaltica  View Original Post
    Thought about Sentinel ?

a bit bulky for traveling but with travel kit it is not that much of the problem.

You can use on board tank as bailout in proper configuration

Definitely good unit for dives up to 100m and works great i cold water.
    Yes, the Sentinel with the Travel kit is wonderful to dive, really. I didn't like it much before to dive it now I have to say that it's really a pleasure (beside the fact that I hate OTSCL). Easy to travel with (can use every tank, every backplate, every BCD.

Btw, I quote 100% what Aldo wrote. Get good knowledge of the rebreather you choose before to begin to work on shooting. Good knowledge is not something you will have in 20 hours...

Nad

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Leo  View Original Post
    I want to be able to dive to moderate depth , max 40 meter with the possibility to have the bailoutgass on the rebreather.
    This is the pivotal thing you've listed, very few units allow "onboard" carry of sufficent tanks to Bailout , this limits you to "can" rebreathers where you can strap large tanks on the side (Like JJ, Meg, HM) or rebreathers in aftermarket cases, like an Inspiration in a AliBox.

If you want BMCL, BOV, Can style ECCR then JJ looks like your target.

Either way I would reccomend arranging to see a few different units, get the owners to take them apart and show you the logistics of ownership and maybe a try dive.
    IMO the best rebreather is one you can live with on a day to day, trip to trip basis without constant factory support and expensive unit specific spares.

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    IMO the best rebreather is one you can live with on a day to day, trip to trip basis without constant factory support and expensive unit specific spares.
    Meglodon is without doubt the most popular RBen here in Norway and there is no problem finding spare parts without paying expensive shipping from abroad.

In the beginning of 2011 there will be six new Meg divers in Tromsø!

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

You've gotten some excellent recommendations on rebreathers.
    The only thing I would add is that you reconsider using on-board gas as your sole source of bailout. If your loop goes caustic and the mouthpiece and all that's attached to it are compromised, you'll be awfully glad to have an independant source of gas. I know I was, twice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast