+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Re: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

paua do you know anything about dcs? you make comments like that tells me your so new you havent been born yet ,keep an atitude about diving like you have youll get bent (and broke)

Helium Addict O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver's Avatar

Glad to hear you are on the road to a full recovery! See you in April or at BTS.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Mitchell  View Original Post
    Paua,

I have no idea who you are, but I know this: you are an embarrassment (and this is not the first time) to the Kiwis who contribute to and learn from this forum . If you have nothing useful or intelligent to say, then why don't you just keep quiet.

To my rebreatherworld colleagues, please accept my apologies on behalf of the 99.999% of collegial NZ divers who will bend over backwards to accommodate others' views in a conversation.

Simon M
    Well said Simon.

X2
    Last edited by Silentbob; 13th December 2010 at 07:24.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post
    This is all so much AmeriKKKa bullshit!

Implication is that if you spend lots of $ on insurance then you can **** up and everything will be OK

I tell my students there are six words to safe diving.

Plan your dive, dive your plan!

Cheers,

Paua
    I'm pleased that the OP is getting better and the report was excellent. I agree that DAN is a must (bit more expensive in the UK, about £80) - I never used it, but it seems to be an excellent service when I do.

This thread was excellent until the quoted post, which I think was unnecessary.

Regards
    Matt.

Martini Diver Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW's Avatar
    rEvo III Expedition + others

rEvo Meg AP Sentinel KISS

Implication is that if you spend lots of $ on insurance then you can **** up and everything will be OK

Cheers,

Paua

Have we been married? your tone sounds so familiar...

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Cheers,

Paua
    Asshole do you have the same dick head attitude to car insurance ? or do you plan your drive and drive your plan ?

Gary glad to hear you are recovering and thanks for posting.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Gents, this is rebreatherworld not lynchworld, the guy has been quiet since the first comment on his post so Im sure the message has been received. Please keep it on topic.

Bob Downey seakrakken is on a distinguished road seakrakken is on a distinguished road seakrakken's Avatar

Here's wishing you a full recovery Gary and, thanks for sharing.

Back in the '70s we didn't have anything like insurance for diving accidents.
    We did our SCUBA diving and prayed for a safe return.
    I drifted away from diving for years and when I returned to the sport lots of great things had happened in my absence.
    Rebreathers was one. Second was better dive tables and third were computers.
    Several years ago When I heard about DAN I thought "Are you kidding? Sign me up!"
    My health insurance might cover medical procedures once I'm in a hospital but, Blue Cross and Blue Shield won't come get me anywhere in the World!

I like wrecks Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity has a spectacular aura about Captain Calamity's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Homebuild

Thanks for posting - this thread serves a useful reminder of the importance of hydration. Glad you are recovering well.

I was diving in the Red Sea late 2010 and one of our party suffered a major CNS bend requiring several days of recompression. His only identifiable risk factor (my analysis - diving doctor - and the chamber doc's analysis was that dehydration was the only risk factor. The diver was taking just 2 litres of fluid a day - not enough in temperatures of 40 degrees C, especially combined with a beer or two at the end of each day (alcohol is a diuretic and worsens dehydration by making the kidneys dump more urine than is necessary). We had several local divers (south coast England) suffer bends last year where dehydration almost certainly played a role - divers deliberately witholding fluids before a log deep trimix dive for fear of peeing in their drysuit.

Remember, by the time you feel thirsty you are significantly dehydrated already. As mentioned above the only way to be sure you are hydrated is to monitor your pee - if you are only passing a small volume of concentrated urine you need to drink more. On the trip to Egypt mentioned above I was drinking 7-8 litres of water each day to maintain hydration. Also, if you are doing long dives in a drysuit fit a pee valve/overboard discharge, or wear a nappy so that you can drink plenty of fluids right up to jumping in (or even in the water on your stops if it is a really long dive).

Sorry if this reply is teaching some of you to suck eggs, but the bent diver in Egypt had no idea that hydration was so important - I am sure there must be others like him and maybe this thread will change their habits and prevent them taking a trip to the chamber.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

Hey Gary,

If a pro like you gets bent what hope is there for us poor amateur shlubs of the diving world? But seriously, when I needed them DAN was there and not just financially. They have a great network of Doctors on call and its important that when the voice in your head keeps saying "I'm not bent, I can't be bent" there is somebody to speak to that can say "No really, you might have DCS-get to a chamber".
    I deal with insurance companies all the time and I was very impressed with DAN's easy claim process. Contrast that with a certain major agency's standard dive shop coverage which apparently lives by the motto "We Don't Cover That".
    Dinner at BTS? I hope to see you and the Missus soon. TC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast