+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Re: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post
    This is all so much AmeriKKKa bullshit!

Implication is that if you spend lots of $ on insurance then you can **** up and everything will be OK

I tell my students there are six words to safe diving.

Plan your dive, dive your plan!

Cheers,

Paua
    Paua, do you know how to read? The OP planned his dive and dived his plan and this was the first time he got bent in many years of diving. Your comments are far from helpful.

If the Kiwi dive industry is anything like your mining industry I wouldn't be casting aspersions if I were you.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Gary  View Original Post
    Some of you may or many not know that I recently went on a trip to Truk Lagoon for a week aboard a live-aboard. During that trip I got bent on the second day of diving. This was due to dehydration and fatigue. Dive profiles were executed perfectly and no deco's were missed.

Here is a link to incident I wrote up. My Experience Getting Bent

Most importantly are some conclusions/thoughts at the end of the report.

Please be safe and if you don't have it, please consider carrying DAN insurance. Without it I would spent over $70,000 out of my own pocket.

Good Diving,

Hello Capt Gary, thanks very much for writing about your experience. I hope you make a full recovery.

Can you tell me where "If you are not passing clear urine then you should not dive." comes from? I've never heard this before, but don't doubt it's true. Just wondering if this was told to you before of after your DCS and whether the advice came from an MD. Thanks, -Andy

Supporting Member Capt Gary is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Gary's Avatar

Implication is that if you spend lots of $ on insurance then you can **** up and everything will be OK

Cheers,

Paua
    Thanks for your comments but I would think that planning a dive would also include emergency contingencies. Don't you also teach your students that?

Also would be interested in what you tell your students who might have a PFO, use your six words and still get bent? Would they also have messed up?

To be honest I don't think that $79 is a lot of money for DAN insurance, but maybe the economy is suffering more in your part of the world.

Finally please enlighten me on how I messed up my dive plan. I've been diving for 40 years and have over 5000 dives, but I'm always open to new concepts that make sense.

Good Diving,

Supporting Member Capt Gary is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello Capt Gary, thanks very much for writing about your experience. I hope you make a full recovery.

Can you tell me where "If you are not passing clear urine then you should not dive." comes from? I've never heard this before, but don't doubt it's true. Just wondering if this was told to you before of after your DCS and whether the advice came from an MD. Thanks, -Andy
    Hey Andy,

This was told to me after my DCS by a MD Urologist at the Hospital in Guam. He indicated that just because you have drank a bunch of water and you are not thirsty doesn't mean you are hydrated. He said a good way to tell if you are hydrated enough is to look at the color of your urine. If it's clear then you are hydrated, but if it's yellow or dark color then there's a good chance you're not.

Now the exception to this would be if you take viatiams in the morning then the excess that is not absorbed will pass through your body and excreted through your urine causing a yellowish color.

Hope this helps.

Good Diving,
    Capt Gary

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Gary  View Original Post
    Hey Andy,

This was told to me after my DCS by a MD Urologist at the Hospital in Guam. He indicated that just because you have drank a bunch of water and you are not thirsty doesn't mean you are hydrated. He said a good way to tell if you are hydrated enough is to look at the color of your urine. If it's clear then you are hydrated, but if it's yellow or dark color then there's a good chance you're not.

Now the exception to this would be if you take viatiams in the morning then the excess that is not absorbed will pass through your body and excreted through your urine causing a yellowish color.

Hope this helps.

Good Diving,
    Capt Gary

Thanks for very much for the info Gary, sounds like good advice and makes some sense. I know that when I drink, the next morning my urine is yellow and of course I am dehydrated from the effects of the alcohol. Though I never drink when I'm diving, my dive vacations are also a vacation from booze... -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 30th November 2010 at 21:55.

Prism

Dolphin

Cheers,

Paua

If you actually read Capt Gary's account, then your reading comprehension skills are as unimpressive as your logic and knowledge of DCS.

And, bringing politics into a discussion about DCS marks you as a true genius of another order... -Andy

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

One thing when i first read your report, is that the initial symptoms were , to my untrained eye, similar to Ciguatera poisoning. Had you eaten any fish? i guess once you mentioned the skin marbling that would discount the ciguatera. would the OP, any docs or other knowledgeable people like to comment?

thanks
    rachel

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Cheers,

Paua
    Paua,

I have no idea who you are, but I know this: you are an embarrassment (and this is not the first time) to the Kiwis who contribute to and learn from this forum . If you have nothing useful or intelligent to say, then why don't you just keep quiet.

To my rebreatherworld colleagues, please accept my apologies on behalf of the 99.999% of collegial NZ divers who will bend over backwards to accommodate others' views in a conversation.

Simon M
    Last edited by Simon Mitchell; 1st December 2010 at 08:02.

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Not for the first time I'm left wondering just how DAN managed to corner the market in scuba accident insurance. I used to have Divesafe from Willis (which didn't require me to become a 'member') but they exited the market.

Regardless, I agree, accident insurance specific to is essential for trips with rebreathers, particularly to remote locations, whoever provides it.

As far as I know, your options are DAN, PADI, DiveAssure and DSI. It's worth knowing whether you are covered by 'primary' insurance (the insurance company shoulders the cost regardless of whatever other coverage you have) or secondary insurance (the insurance company will look to your other policies, like medical insurance in the US, to cover as much as they can).

Maybe there are more insurers out there, and of course details vary a lot for US residents and non-US. Anyway, there are more options than just DAN, and competition is usually a good thing.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Cheers,

Paua
    So are you suggesting if you follow your sage advice getting bent is impossible and therefore you don't need insurance?
    I am glad I'm not one of your students
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast