+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

Supporting Member Capt Gary is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Gary's Avatar

Re: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm doing quite well considering.

Still have a little numbness in both upper quads of my legs, but the needling feeling indicates they are trying to wake up. Will schedule with the Neurologist for a followup. I'm also scheduling an appointment with a Cardiologist. After 40 years of diving and no problems I don't think I have a PFO, but I want to be sure.

Just to note my DAN cost $79 for the year as a business pro account. Very cheap considering the return in medical attention I got. DAN is most definitely on my Christmas list from now on.

Good Diving,
    Capt Gary
    Conch Republic Divers
    The Cyber Diver / The Tech Diver

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Gary,

Glad you are doing well....

Richie

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Thanks for posting your story. I agree with everyone above that the small insurance premium we pay to DAN is the best money we spend all year on diving.

I agree that a PFO causing your event is pretty unlikely, but it's reasonable to get checked out. Realize that 25% of us have one so even if it is there, that doesn't mean it was the cause. Could be just an "innocent bystander". However, if you don't have one, you will feel more confident getting back in the water. If I can be of any medical help, please let me know.

Finally, just as a reminder to everyone, we are still enrolling in our DAN sponsored PFO and DCS study. Anyone who has suffered DCS and was found to have a PFO (regardless of whether or not they elected to leave it alone or have it closed) is welcome to participate. The information and forms are at DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association

Glad to hear you are doing well, Gary, and thanks for sharing your story. Hope to see you soon.

Doug

RBW Member RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7/Predator

CUDA 650

Thanks for share your history Gary, hope you get wet soon.

It's my 10th year of DAN insurance, thanks God i never need to use it, today I came from my yearly checkup, and my actual Cardiologist is OWD diver, altough it's not the better way he tried to see if I have a PFO on Ecocardiogram, and aparently I don't have.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Got DAN as soon as I started diving and hope I never ever need to use it. However, I keep continuous coverage since the last 8 years. Heck, if my contribution helps another diver by keeping DAN going, I have no problem with that! As I said, hope it never gets to be my turn!!

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Captain Gary, glad you are ok and recovering. Daniele and i send our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

glad you are ok Gary!

RBW Member sea_ledford is an unknown quantity at this point sea_ledford's Avatar
    SF2

Glad you are getting better, thanks for the reminder!

Ironically, just last week I watched this webcast from the Smitshonian Diving and Science program:
    http://decostop.si.edu/sds/sds/speak...?SPEAKER_ID=36

There was some pretty interesting takes on traditionally held belifes on decompression, including hydration, exercise and temperture regulation. I'd love to see more followup on it, and find out if this is a wayout there point of view or if it is an emerging but accepted theory.

Chris

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Thanks for posting, Gary - and very glad you're recovering.

--
    Art

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Cool Re: My Experience Getting Bent / Importance of DAN Insurance and being Hydrated

This is all so much AmeriKKKa bullshit!

Implication is that if you spend lots of $ on insurance then you can **** up and everything will be OK

I tell my students there are six words to safe diving.

Plan your dive, dive your plan!

Cheers,

Paua

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast