+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanksgiving at Little River (cave but on a RB)

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Thanksgiving at Little River (cave but on a RB)

After a 5 hr drive, I arrived at Little River today. I had plans to explore the deep section which I had previously only gotten a short distance in.

I have already swam to the jump for the deep section and know how much time is required and my bailout needed from that point. I decided to scooter to the jump in order to save time and deco requirement. I kept in mind that I might have to bailout and did a quick calculation as to what my turn time would have to be from the deep section.

I carrtied 2 AL80's and left a 40 of O2 at the sign. I know that this was pushing my BO, but I was planning on the flow to help speed my exit as it did the last few times.

Let me mention this little tidbit - after a week of diving the Mexican caves with different undergarments and a ever so slightly different configuration, my stupid arse thought that my trim and bouyancy would just magically be spot on. Close, but no cigar.

I scootered to the jump and clipped off the scooter. It is a little bit tight going through right where the jump starts, but not too bad at all. I continued to the "T" and decided to take the route to the left since I had not been that direction previously. I went as far as I was willing to push it without sidemount and turned around. Back at the "T" with plenty of time left, I went down the other line. This is where things got interesting. It was getting tighter and tighter with a very silty bottom. I could see that it opened up in just a few feet. I saw where something had been dragging the bottom right in front of me. I stopped and did a quick double check of my gear. I did not want anything to touch that bottom because the line was tight to the right wall and might be difficult to follow out in a no vis situation. I tucked my drysuit hose under my chest strap, tucked my arrows under the drysuit hose, and tightened up the hose on my necklaced BO regulator. Now I was sure that I was all set to continue. Nice, slow, and easy fin kicks. Slow being the operative word here. The last thing that I wanted was a silt out. It would seem that I was just a tad too close to the ceiling and I did not notice it. Another slow and easy fin stroke drove my knee into the silt as my tank had no place to go. Frick, Frick, Frick - OK, not quite what I was screaming through the DSV, but you get the point. The vis was gone before I could even grab the line. I only needed to go 5 more feet.

Training, being on a rebreather, and not being prone to panic are the things that I am most thankful on this particular Thanksgiving Day. Lack of any of these and I might not be here to type this little note.

I stopped and verified that my rebreather was working and that I could breath. OK, take my time. Deco might be racking up, but I can deal with that. I was reaching for my safety reel to do a lost line search and decided to hold off on that for a moment. This passage is not tall and is only about 15' wide. I decided to try sweeping my arms in hopes of the best. Just when I had given up and grabbed my safety reel, my left hand flooped onto the line. OK, this is more like it I thought to myself. As I was surely adding to the current silt cloud during my exit, I went slow in a delibert attempt to not damage my rebreather in any way. I really did not want to be on OC right now. I have no idea how long this cloud will last, plus it is following me because of the flow. I didn't have to go more than 25' and the vis was beginning to clear up a bit. The vis was good enough that when I got to my cookie (There was another line in here that ran upwards and backwards from my current line), I went up there a little ways just to check it out too. The rest of my exit was rather uneventful.

I was still well within my BO and deco plans so I swam my scooter out just for the practice.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Re: Thanksgiving at Little River (cave but on a RB)

Glad you are safe. Been in similar tight siltout situations and find that the time the rebreather offers helps take the pressure off, vs being on OC, especially if my HUD (the HH vibrating DIVA) isn't vibrating.

You did have a happy Thanksgiving.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Cave Addict CCR Josh is on a distinguished road CCR Josh is on a distinguished road CCR Josh's Avatar
    HammerHead

Sentinel-Inspo-Optima-Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    find that the time the rebreather offers helps take the pressure off, vs being on OC, especially if my HUD (the HH vibrating DIVA) isn't vibrating.
    One of the reasons we can argue that CCR cave diving is actually safer than OC diving.

Glad to hear you made it out alright Dsix36. Thanks for sharing- I hope we can all learn a little something from reading accounts like this.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Glad it worked out. Just curious, Don. Were you all by yourself?

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Glad it worked out. Just curious, Don. Were you all by yourself?
    It was a 3 person team. Me, Myself, and I.

We all made it out calmly and safely.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Thanks for the story. I have to agree, the time pressure that open circuit induces in these kind of situation has me wondering. Would you have felt so calm about this situation if you were worrying about your gas supply on top of everything else you were dealing with? I know I wouldn't.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Dsix doesn't need a buddy, they get in the way of his life span shortening efforts

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Thanks for the story. I have to agree, the time pressure that open circuit induces in these kind of situation has me wondering. Would you have felt so calm about this situation if you were worrying about your gas supply on top of everything else you were dealing with? I know I wouldn't.
    I would not be relaxed at all if I was worried about running out of OC gas. I tend to carry way too much BO for these little excursions. I still look at it like this: No one ever died from having too much gas!

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Dsix doesn't need a buddy, they get in the way of his life span shortening efforts
    I fully intend to live forever.

+ Reply to Thread