+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: (UK Eyes only) Do you care about the proposed changes in UK Wreck Legislation?

Made in England. Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk.'s Avatar
    Viale C.Colombo 75 Marina di Carrara. MS 54036 Italy

Re: (UK Eyes only) Do you care about the proposed changes in UK Wreck Legislation?

I like to leave a ship wreck with just memories.....'just a port hole'....just that, that particular porthole belongs to that particular shipwreck. Bells, compases, lanterns and portholes.....all have their rightfull places....and we all know where that is.

New Member ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba's Avatar

Re: (UK Eyes only) Do you care about the proposed changes in UK Wreck Legislation?

Good, I voted now.
    it would be great if you could keep us up to date, partucluarly if there is any other action we need to take.
    I don't want restrictions placed on my favourite pastime by another of the faceless minions of Mr Brown and Mr Blair who's salaries we pay but who seem to forget that they work for us.
    Although if we sank John Prescott and his collection of Jags it would make a nice artificial reef!

martin

Still Learning.... Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg's Avatar

"Look and don't touch" - no arguments from me - I don't have the space at home for large bits of non-ferrous metal nor the inclination to spend a dive working with with a hacksaw or hammer getting sub-clinical DCI for a piece of scrap I'd probably step over if I saw it in the street.

However - "don't look - it's illegal" scares me.

I'm allowed, nay encouraged, to visit ancient castles, battlefields and other historic locations on land (even a few graveyards sell tickets and give guided tours to the final resting places of the "famous"), dungeons are thrown open so that tourists can gawk at machines intended to torture people. Yes! - people make a lot of money out of the historic side of war every day of the year - it often seems the more gore the better - and it's called the tourism industry. Every day during the British summer historic sites echo to the footsteps of visitors including bus loads of school children "experiencing" history. I've worked hard to gain the skills that allow me to visit wrecks and see those visits as no different to what non-divers do every day.

Places in GB where people died (military and civilian) during the war get demolished, redeveloped and destroyed as towns and cities expand and needs change. These places include private houses, factories, barracks, airfields, air-raid shelters, hospitals. Each and everyone has it's own history - it may not be headline history but who is to judge what will be important to future generations? Some is preserved but even listed buildings get demolished from time to time.

Don't get me wrong - my diving has got me intensely interested in maritme history and the bravery of those who fought and died so we could be free never ceases to astonish me, not least the 30,000 or so merchant seamen who perished during WWII. I just don't want to see that freedom curtailed by grey men sitting behind closed doors in Whitehall.

What I cannot understand is that soon as the historic site is underwater it seems the rules change. Wrecks which are largely only known about because of the activities of "amateur" divers (up to and including the wreck of the "Mary Rose") most of which have been ignored by "professional" archeologists for decades are now "time capsules". Relatives of those who died are drummed up into a frenzy by a largely uninformed group of politicians who manage to portray the image of divers disturbing their mortal remains
    (see http://www.bsac.org/services/wreckshansard241100.htm) when all that remains is rusting steel and even that will be gone in time.

And all the time the rules tighten.
    The reasons given include the fact that a "small minority" of divers are still "desecrating" wrecks. Banning wreck diving for this reason is akin to outlawing cars because of a handful of drunken divers. BTW - If you are some rabid brass collector with a garage full of the stuff can you please stop before you mess it up for all of us?

So its time for divers to make a stand before we are denied the right to dive any wreck around the British Isles. The last time this was a hot topic for politicians in GB they were distracted by an outbreak of foot and mouth disease - this time diving may not be so lucky.

What we need to know is who the grey men are and how they are to be contacted. Anyone know?

As the T-shirts often say "take only memories/photographs - leave only bubbles"

Rant over

Ant S

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

I sent my letter to Dari Taylor MP Stockton south. I have to type in her reply as it was sent by snail mail to me.
    Long discussion here ->http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/foru...gislation.html

Dear Mr Hudson,

Thank you for your recent e-mail referencing Government working parties on salvage law and wreck designation & protection.

I am of course disappointed to learn that the Department of Culture, Media & Sport has not invited representatives from the UK diving organisations to contribute to these working parties. I have thus written to the Minister, David Lammy MP, about this issue and have enclosed a copy or your e-mail message to me.

I have asked the minister to redress this situation and I will send you a copy of his reply as soon as I receive it.

Yours sincerely,

Dari Taylor MP
    Stockton South.
    Last edited by divetheworld; 8th March 2006 at 14:04.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    See

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/280206fifty.shtml

for relevant information to this thread. I guess there is diver representation of sorts, but not formally.
    I think the Divernet article misses the point somewhat. Just because there are no proposals now, it doesn't mean that someone on the WP might not chip in just before the end of the last meeting with something that could kill UK wreck diving.

The second point is that just because the people writing the legislation don't intend it to affect UK wreck divers, that doesn't mean that poorly worded legislation won't be written that could be "interpreted" by (for example) Portland Port Authority to impose restrictions on divers. Think it won't happen? Remember Wolfgang what's-his-name at the Labour Party Conference being arrested under anti-terror legislation.

The thing that concerns me is that there is no-one representing the interests of recreational or technical divers on either of the committees. Yes there are marine archaeologists on the WPs, but I bet if wreck diving is licenced then those people are not the ones who will have trouble applying for or getting licences to dive wrecks. They certainly don't represent me or my interests.

Anyway, I, ahem, understand that the chairman of the DCMS Select Committee is going to ask the Sec. of State for a formal statement of intent. If the statement clearly says that recreational diving is unaffected then, and only then, will I sleeply. I'm not sure what the plan is if it's not, but that when we will really need to step up the campaign.

Janos (professional bureaucrat, but acting in a personal capacity).

Still Learning.... Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg has a spectacular aura about Ant Slegg's Avatar

Those with BS-AC membership might be interested to know that "the Chairman, Marcus Allen and the Wreck Protection & Underwater Heritage Officer Jane Maddocks are currently working on your behalf (and the diving community as a whole in the form of the Wreck Respect team) on this issue" (according to the NDO).

So if you want to be certain that your view is being represented by your diving agency a polite e-mail to the above might be in order however only the Chairman's e--mail address appear on the web-site (http://www.bsac.com/meet/contacts.html).

Ant S

New Member Adrian Kelland is an unknown quantity at this point Adrian Kelland's Avatar

Update

For some feedback of the BSAC/PADI meeting with the DCMS

http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4166

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2