+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deepsea Supply's DIR Compliant CCR Configuration - DEMA 2010

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Re: Deepsea Supply's DIR Compliant CCR Configuration - DEMA 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Hanssing  View Original Post
    Hi Tobin,

From the video it sounded as if the O2 is side-slung?

If so how does this setup differ from the much debated UTD MC90?

How does the setup handle the live O2-reg at depth, water-ingress to MFO etc. etc. etc.?

Hanssing
    The O2 is off board and it is equipped with a 2nd stage with the attendant risks and benefits.

The MFO is very much present, preventing contamination is an operational concern, i.e. avoid cycling the QC6 underwater, and service the unit if you indeed have to.

I should state that my primary responsibilities on this project were mechanical, i.e. frame, manifold and wing. The configuration choices and the philosophies behind them are Andy Huber's.

He is txdiver on this board, and hopefully can address your questions more fully.

Tobin

Re: Deepsea Supply's DIR Complaint CCR Configuration - DEMA 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    Bob's a class act, and I know we aren't spoiling for a fight.

We aren't out to change the world, just offering an alternative.

What you see here is essentially Copis Meg with a different way to carry the gas.

Tobin
    Tobin,
    You are absolutely right. He and I have had some long discussions on the subject and I found it an opportunity to open up more. I appreciate the design and work that has gone into it. You will find that I have strong opinions with an open mind that allows them to be changed. Not that Bob will change mine any time soon or me his but that is an entirely different subject.

Bobby

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Hanssing  View Original Post
    Hi Tobin,

From the video it sounded as if the O2 is side-slung?

How does the setup handle the live O2-reg at depth, water-ingress to MFO etc. etc. etc.?

Hanssing
    you are not necessarily going to have to run the oxygen offboard!

I have long thought of setting up a similar setup, but has put it all on hold until further due to lack of time and money. My plan was to have a 3liter "dumpy" bottle bolted to th backplate on the right side in the same way as you would normally have your Argon to the left. My height is 197cm so the size of my dumpy 3l is no problem for me, alternatively you can have a smaller 2l. This way you never have to worry about having a live O2-reg at depth and sea water / dirt in the quick release for the oxygen. I will plan bailout gases like I normally would and this way I will also have redundancy in oxygen for the deep dives.

lEEbo lEEblEEdErs seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick's Avatar
    rEvo II Micro FT mCCR

Shearwater Meg DCCCR

Hi Tobin,

Nice design on the frame that holds the scrubber & tanks together. Very Nice...........

Best regards,
    SS

Explorers Exodus Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing's Avatar
    rEvo-II

Quote Originally Posted by offpro  View Original Post
    you are not necessarily going to have to run the oxygen offboard!

I have long thought of setting up a similar setup, but has put it all on hold until further due to lack of time and money. My plan was to have a 3liter "dumpy" bottle bolted to th backplate on the right side in the same way as you would normally have your Argon to the left. My height is 197cm so the size of my dumpy 3l is no problem for me, alternatively you can have a smaller 2l.
    I completely agree with you.

Thats why I ask to the solution that has been chosen, might be some new ideas in there?

Nicolai

RBW Member txdiver is an unknown quantity at this point txdiver's Avatar
    DIR Meg

It is correct that the O2 does not need to be "run off-board", particularly in the smaller set-up. As Tobin mentioned, this configuration exists with double Al40s and double LP45s. Depending on the dive - duration and depth being the determining factors - I run a 6cf O2 supply using an argon mount directly attached to the plate. Since I won't have an O2 second stage to bail out to, I have to make sure that my bailout covers the deco otherwise conducted on O2. This is a simple gas management issue and works well.

The other downside is that you can't donate the O2 second stage to a team mate in case they experience issues with their O2 at 20ft and shallower. Again, their gas management plan should have included that possibility.

Mounting larger bottles to the existing rig is certainly possible as earlier posters suggested. However, the rig is already fairly wide. I would not be in favor of increasing the footprint any more than needed - while not being able to have a second stage for bailout available. But again that is only my opinion and I am always open to good suggestions. Keep in mind that a great variety of bottles sizes is available in Europe. The US is a bit more limited...thus far...

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2