+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Juergensen Marine new products -DEMA 2010

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Juergensen Marine new products -DEMA 2010

Juergensen Marine New Products - DEMA 2010

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Re: Juergensen Marine new products -DEMA 2010

Kevin, you better put a warning on the DIVA that it is incompatible with epileptics. :). Nice work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

great job, Kevin. Truly amazing!

RBW Member gfb is an unknown quantity at this point gfb's Avatar
    O2ptima

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

Juergensen Marine New Products - DEMA 2010

Granted I am as new at this as one can get, but I still am having trouble understanding the reasoning behind adding a GPS to your rebreather electronics. Is it really worth the additional hardware and software complexity on a unit that needs to be 100% reliable?

Now granted, I'm new at this so maybe I'm just being dumb, someone please tell me if that's the case

Otherwise seems like a great improvement, way to go guys!

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gfb  View Original Post
    Granted I am as new at this as one can get, but I still am having trouble understanding the reasoning behind adding a GPS to your rebreather electronics. Is it really worth the additional hardware and software complexity on a unit that needs to be 100% reliable?
    Seems like a great idea to me. I cant count the number of dives I have completed that I could use the GPS coordinates today.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gfb  View Original Post

Now granted, I'm new at this so maybe I'm just being dumb, someone please tell me if that's the case

Otherwise seems like a great improvement, way to go guys!
    Really? This is far from controversial data, everything that has a connection now a-day's has a GPS connection, DSLR;s iPONE's , Smart Phones, you name it, they have GPS.

So, to try to make controversy over this, is just plane silly!

Have a good day,

Tom

RBW Member gfb is an unknown quantity at this point gfb's Avatar
    O2ptima

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Seems like a great idea to me. I cant count the number of dives I have completed that I could use the GPS coordinates today.....
    It just seems that isn't the best spot to put GPS, I can buy a GPS unit at walmart for $50 that wont drain my expensive saft batteries :) As to logging, I believe one of the iphone/ipod dive log apps does sat logging also.

Don't get me wrong, the other features look awesome, I just don't want a GPS module and all the additional code & hardware liability it brings with it tied in to my life support.

Oh, and thanks for putting together these videos! Might there be one on the new Nitek also?

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

REV D Rocks Kevin! Great work!

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Hey there,

The GPS only works on the Surface, so it isn't "Life Support" per se. As for power consumption, it uses very little when running, and again, only runs on the surface.

As for the "why?" - I would say a couple of reasons:

1) Logging your location at the beginning of the dive - no one does this in the CCR world - at least up until now. A lot of CCR divers have hundreds of dives all over the planet - but unless they write down where each one occurred, or can resurrect from their mental memory where they happened to be on October 23, 2002, they may have a hard time remembering which dive log entry occurred where.

The GPS module in the Hammerhead not only provides that useful information, but also updates the Real Time Clock, so that you don't have to. Get on a plane, fly to the dive site (even across the International Date Line), and the unit adjusts itself.

Add to that, the ability to find your way back to the boat in the fog, the ability to, after finding an artifact on the bottom, shoot a bag, and go to the surface to grab a Waypoint for later retrieval, and you've got a whole pocket full of reasons why this makes sense.

2) As for "code and hardware liability" - my engineers designed experiments which are still working on Mars, the Planet. There are no less than 4 peer reviews per iteration - hardware and software - and again - this doesn't affect Life Support - so I don't see the liability anywhere. If you are on the boat, your iPhone or Android will give you a much better GUI for GPS, so I would naturally assume that people would use that - but if you (on a previous dive) shot a bag from some Spanish Doubloons you found, you might find the GPS on the HH handy as you guide the boat from the swimstep just before jumping in to retrieve some (this of course brings the dreaded wrath of the boat captain to the fore...).

3) You can order the Rev. D as a Secondary, with the Rev. C+ as a Primary Controller (thus, keeping it as a dedicated Life Support Device).

The GPS was something I wanted in this set for all the reasons above - but the DIVA Deco and Diver Alarm are two of the things I'm most proud of.

If you think about it, ask yourself - how many CCR's actually can warn you that your buddy is in real distress? Not from behind while he's sinking into the depths, but when you are looking right at him?

How many CCR's can guide you out of a cave if your lights blow out?

How many CCR's can signal your buddy to pay attention to you for some reason other than a ppO2 emergency?

How many CCR's can guide you exactly where to stop during each step of your deco when one hand is holding a Camera, and the other hand is holding a Porthole that you pried off some wreck you were busy raping?

----> I'll stop patting myself on the back in a second - but these points are important. Real thought went into simple, practical solutions for potential problems that could be faced by any one of us while diving a CCR.

Whenever there has been an accident - on ANY rebreather - I start asking myself "how could I have prevented this?" "What could we do to make sure this doesn't happen to one of our divers?"

As an example - the Diver Alarm came about when I was thinking of a couple incidents where divers were acting "funny" just before they went into convulsions (and no, they were not diving HH's) during the "funny" part, more than likely their ppO2 was either too high or too low, yet that is precisely where the confusion sets in - and where divers cannot help themselves. My thought was that the system knows they are in trouble, so it should have the ability to let others know that as well. Ask anyone who saw this at the show - even from 50 feet away, there is NO mistaking that this RED/WHITE/RED/WHITE represents an emergency beacon. (And no, the diver himself can't see it - we have the DIVA boards coated with Black Soldermask which prevents this from blinding them).

The Buddy Signal came about from a couple stories I've been told by cave diving friends who talked about how hard it can be to get someone's attention in caves. What if you feel sick? - You're experiencing some other problem which is not ppO2 related? How can you let folks know you need someone to pay attention to you? What if you just want to get your pal to come over to see something cool you found on a reef? This now gives you an additional tool to help in those situations.

And I know it sounds nutty - but I would be willing to bet $100 that within the first year, someone will need the Headlight feature.

Now, the DIVA Deco came about from personal experience with losing temporary control of buoyancy while I was busy looking at my displays. This is going to make decompressing a breeze, and thereby reduce stress on the diver.

Understand, there is no such thing as a "perfect" rebreather - so the best me and my company can do is try to continually evolve the Hammerhead platform to try and give divers a better chance of surviving the incidents which can befall all of us at one point or another - just like the joke about making something "idiot proof" only to find that God invented a better Idiot - the list of things we can try to do is constantly growing.

We do all this, while at the same time, trying to give divers additional convenient features.

I hasten to add that some of these features were generated by simple phone calls from customers (of all people!) - like the Average Depth Display that you can select for those of you doing mnemonic deco calculations . Marco Valenti called me via Skype and suggested it, and within 10 minutes, an e-mail to my engineers went out to have it added to the system. That kind of hyper-loop feedback is pretty unusual in an industry where "not invented here" seems to be the rule.

Now, I want to talk about the Hammerhead Extreme for a second as a good illustration of my philosophy (and make NO mistake - there are huge differences in the philosophy between the rebreather manufacturers):

One dive manufacturer, whom I respect, came over and scoffed at the Hammerhead Extreme's "Sealed O2 Sensor Chamber" as a "fix for a non-existent problem" which may be a valid criticism. That is, unless, you are the ONE diver who has CO2 breakthrough on a rig which does not offer you this protection. But while "fixing" that problem, we also used that opportunity to give divers an added benefit - the O2 Sensor Cartridge is an idea who's time has come.

How many dives have many of you lost to having a faulty sensor? What if you paid good money for those dives? Isn't having a ready-to-go O2 Sensor Pak that just slides in - Voila! - and is ready to go in seconds worth it? And while we were designing that little beauty, we also took the time to improve the ergonomics of the Head to make breathing hose routing and maneuvering that much easier.

And that's not all - we added "click stops" to the Hose Clamps, so they no longer need to be screwed in - just push in, twist, and click. They're locked.

Once you see how much thought went into the layout and design of the Rev. D and the Hammerhead Extreme, I hope you realize that this was built by divers, for divers, and is the most vibrant, evolving, user-friendly device on the market today.

And we ain't EVEN done yet...

Safe Diving to All,

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Last edited by heyydude; 23rd November 2010 at 06:13.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Great job! Can't wait to get the Rev D!

Will the PO2 still be user selected to show in PO2 mode or set point mode? It wasn't clear from the video.