+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patriot 3 Maritime Jet Boots - DEMA 2010

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Patriot 3 Maritime Jet Boots - DEMA 2010

Revolutionary diver propulsion unit, Jet Boots

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Re: Patriot 3 Maritime Jet Boots - DEMA 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

Revolutionary diver propulsion unit, Jet Boots
    These look like the same "jet boots" that someone (I don't remember whom) tried to market back in 02 or 03....

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I remember the ones from a few years ago being worn lower down on the legs. Also, there's no way they went 4 knotts. And I don't remember them being called Jet Boots, but that's quite possible. Anyway, these look like a completely different or revamped product aimed at the military market. Nice little video on their web site, but no price given.

Looks very cool.

Administrator Tienuts has disabled reputation Tienuts's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima, Megalodon, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I remember the ones from a few years ago being worn lower down on the legs. Also, there's no way they went 4 knotts. And I don't remember them being called Jet Boots, but that's quite possible. Anyway, these look like a completely different or revamped product aimed at the military market. Nice little video on their web site, but no price given.

Looks very cool.
    There's no way these go 4 knots either. That's 405 feet per minute.

RBW Member sea_ledford is an unknown quantity at this point sea_ledford's Avatar
    SF2

I test dove these with North Shore Explorers on Maui in an earlier version. Looks like they completely revamped the battery pack, but the thrusters and control box look the same. We wore them around the calves though. I would think having them on the thighs would make you less maneuverable in the water, but it would be easier to run up on the beach to kill someone.

And 4 knots? Not unless that is a lot more powerful of a battery! Maybe freediving, you might get close-ish. It was noticeably faster with OC vs CCR though too, and keeping the loop in your mouth was a bit of a task at the speeds we were running.

They were a blast though. Probably one of the most fun dives I've ever had. Completely intuitive controlling them, and the variable speed adjustment was the bees knees. I didn't have enough DPV experience at the time to realize it, but I've missed it on every other DPV I've used. I seem to recall a $15K price tag, but again that was at the experimental stage. No idea what they are currently.

I've always thought they would be excellent for cave diving (not being a cave diver myself, I'm only guessing though), becasue they are completly redundant. One thruster goes out, you've still got one left. Battery dies? With the wet link connections, you can just swap to another one.

Chris
    Last edited by sea_ledford; 23rd November 2010 at 14:43.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sea_ledford  View Original Post
    And 4 knots? Not unless that is a lot more powerful of a battery!
    More battery buys you more range. At some point you need more motor turning a larger prop if you want more velocity.

Tobin

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

I test dove these with North Shore Explorers on Maui in an earlier version. Looks like they completely revamped the battery pack, but the thrusters and control box look the same. We wore them around the calves though. I would think having them on the thighs would make you less maneuverable in the water, but it would be easier to run up on the beach to kill someone.

And 4 knots? Not unless that is a lot more powerful of a battery! Maybe freediving, you might get close-ish. It was noticeably faster with OC vs CCR though too, and keeping the loop in your mouth was a bit of a task at the speeds we were running.

They were a blast though. Probably one of the most fun dives I've ever had. Completely intuitive controlling them, and the variable speed adjustment was the bees knees. I didn't have enough DPV experience at the time to realize it, but I've missed it on every other DPV I've used. I seem to recall a $15K price tag, but again that was at the experimental stage. No idea what they are currently.

I've always thought they would be excellent for cave diving (not being a cave diver myself, I'm only guessing though), becasue they are completly redundant. One thruster goes out, you've still got one left. Battery dies? With the wet link connections, you can just swap to another one.

Chris
    Time for a little math.

Drag increases as the square of the speed, and power increases as the cube of the speed.

4 knots = 405 fpm The best scooters at Tahoe were doing just over 3 mph or ~265 fpm. This required ~1150 watts of power.

405/265 = 1.53 1.53 * 1.53 *1.53 = 3.58

If the drag is similar and the motors / prop / kort nozzles are similar in efficiency then it would require 1150 x 3.58 = 4117 watts!

Li-Ion or LiPoly battery with a capacity of 4100 watthours will be in excess of 50 lbs for the battery alone, not including any required cases. I'd budget more like 70 lbs if I had to design one.

Are small diameter high speed props with inlet screens as efficient as a larger slower turning prop with much less inlet restriction? I don't think so.

Is the combat diver with chest mounted Rebreather etc. more streamlined than the single tank divers tested at Tahoe. I don't think so.

4 knots? 4 knots for an hour? I'd love to see some data.

Tobin

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

I gave the guys at patriot a call a couple of months ago. They said that they revamped the old jet boots with, quiet motors and better batteries. - they said they were circa $11,000. However they did suggest that they may be looking at doing recreational units at some point with injection moulded housings .... I want a pair!!! - Why would you buy a scooter if you had these....

Especially diving in the UK on wrecks where the visibility is variable they would be great where they allow you to still have use of your hands.

RBW Member sea_ledford is an unknown quantity at this point sea_ledford's Avatar
    SF2

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    Time for a little math.

...SNIP...4 knots? 4 knots for an hour? I'd love to see some data.

Tobin
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to defend their claim at all, as I don't believe it either. It might do full speed for a hour, but I can't imagine it would be 4 knots without a 2 knot following current :) Hell, I can't even see a reason for 4 knots, you'd hardly be able to keep your mask on.

I'm just saying they were a kick in the pants to play with! And I want a couple sets.

Hell, I can't even see a reason for 4 knots, you'd hardly be able to keep your mask on.
    I own a genuine 270+ fpm scooter (just over 3mph) and it's a challenge to operate it at those speeds for long periods.

It's great for closing with a teammate if you got off the trigger for a moment, and it's great for towing, but it's tiring for sustained operation.

at 405 fpm the diver would perceive ~2.34 the load he does at 265 fpm. That's actually hard to imagine.

Tobin