+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A rEvo around the Keys between 18-22th of December

www.instantsea.com Damien is an unknown quantity at this point Damien's Avatar
    Mini rEvo3 hccr

A rEvo around the Keys between 18-22th of December

Hi everybody !!

After discussion with E(rik)dasque from RBW, and thank to his great help to prepair it, I am finalizing a trip to Florida from 15th to 31th of December.
    I will be, with a OC friend, in the Keys for the four days I mentionned in the title, looking for maximum wreck diving, especially on the Vandenberg and the Spiegel Grove (and at that point of my writing, seeing of succesfull your wreck program was and is, I curse french government that didn't allow our antique aircraft carrier "Clemenceau" to be sunk around my place, Marseille, argg... Hum, forgive the digression ).

So, in case of, I wanted to warn any people interested that should be around for CCR diving, a french rEvo diver will be there to dive and look for buddies !

Ah, just to add that I also plan to be on the Oriskany around the 24-26th of December, in addition !

In the meantime, I wish you nice FL dives, and maybe, see you soon !

Damien

Mark Sumner eel is on a distinguished road eel is on a distinguished road eel's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Re: A rEvo around the Keys between 18-22th of December

Damien,

If you are looking to get in maximum wreck diving you may want to rethink traveling from the keys to Pensacola to dive the Oriskany. This is a very long (all day, 16-18 hours) drive; and the conditions for a 20+ mile boat ride are very unpredictable in December. There is more than enough wreck diving to fill a month in just SE Florida. Spend half your time in the keys, then travel a couple hours north and check out the Dade/Broward/Palm Beach County’s artificial reef programs you will not be disappointed. If you do decide to come up to North Florida for the Oriskany; I hope the weather cooperates and you get in a couple great dives…
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by eel; 12th November 2010 at 20:23. Reason: spelling

Mini rEvo3 hccr

Thank you Mark !

Erik said exactly the same to me, about the Oriskany. It's just that I have 3 mythic wreck I want to see, and this one is par of (just to feel how a carrier is until the time I will dive the Saratoga ) . It's fine for me to cut 2 days of diving for that, even if I don't do the Hydro or the Duane, or other. What I didn't precise is that a part of the trip will pass throught Crystal River and surrounding, so I will not go to the North only for the carrier. Plus I will be with my friend that drive also, and he have some special idea of doing a road trip in USA, like it should be not as boring as doing same in Europe, so well.. it's fine for me, as long as he drives

But what I plan is get the exact canceling condition of the center I will go in Pensacola and screen the forecast the day before to appreciate the possibilities that weather should be bad enought to don't try the trip.
    It was the idea, but do you think the weather is so unpredictable, let say... 3 days before ?
    Last edited by Damien; 12th November 2010 at 20:14.

Mark Sumner eel is on a distinguished road eel is on a distinguished road eel's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

In winter Florida gets 1-2 cold fronts each month. We normally have a few days notice and it will usally ruin diving for 4-8 days. However, the diving will often be very good up to the day the front moves in; it is just very unpredictable for planning more than a few days out. You can never tell what next week will be like. I saw you were planning to go through Crystal River on the way to Pensacola. What will you be diving there? This will be a great time of the year to swim with the manatees, but this in not the place I would recommend for wreck diving. The Bonner Lee (ship in my avatar) sank and was scrapped in Crystal River. It was a wreck dive, but is no longer there. Do you and your buddies cave dive?

Cheers,

Mark

Mini rEvo3 hccr

OK, thank you so much for the climate precision ! So if we count on 2 days for travelling and 1 day to organise a little bit, we will be able to know if it's better to continue to dive the Keys or try to go North.

About Crystal, you touched it, we are there for the manatees, not the wreck !! This is my main reason I wanted to go to Florida, with the Vandenberg. And just now I noticed you're from Homosassa, crazy isn't it, this is where I wanted to try to find a boat to go snorkeling (well, I guess CCR is overkill ?) at the edge of the spring run, at the limit of the no-go area. If you don't mind giving me some informations about how to dive manatees and take pictures in the less crowded while autorised place, it would be really incredible for us !

Was the Bonner Lee yours ? This is the contradiction of being a diver and a seafarer : to like wrecks but to hate seeing a ship damaged.. or worse
    Last edited by Damien; 12th November 2010 at 21:23.

Megalodon APECS 2.7

Splinter Fleet - A Subchaser Restoration Dream Shattered

Here is the Bonner Lee History… A sad story for all involved. I was just a local resident with an interest in all things nautical.
    My recommendation for viewing the manatees in Crystal River is to contact Birds Underwater.

Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours - Free Snorkel Gear! Go with the best!

They are still a tour boat and you will have to deal with some crowds.
    I no longer live full time in Homosassa, but do have a house there. I am going to be there December 24-27. If you will be there at that time I can get you in the water with manatees on your own with no one else around. The secret to great manatee photographs is to be in the water at sunrise before anyone else, and the colder the weather the better. The water temp is 22 C year round, but be prepared for air temps as low as 2 C. It could also be nice and warm, but this is not good for manatee encounters.
    I hope you FL holiday is great fun and let me know if there is any thing I can help with.
    Mark

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

If I'm not teaching I'll dive wiith you on the spiegel. Just finished a class, I'll respond to your email tomorrow.

Cheers

RBW Member gpettit86 is an unknown quantity at this point gpettit86's Avatar

Hey,

I'm a new revo diver here in south Florida but I would love to meet up in the keys for a few dives. Let me know which dates you would want to go and I can make sure I take the time off of work.

Best regards,
    Grayson

+ Reply to Thread