+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bailout rebreather

RBW Member Dive Africa is an unknown quantity at this point Dive Africa's Avatar
    Meg

Re: Bailout rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Lotz  View Original Post
    I've heard alot about guys carrying "a bailout rebreather" as a side mount sling instead of the usual OC way of bailing out. Since I don't know anybody in South Africa that dives like this, I'd like to get more info on this configuration. How is the bailout rebreather connected to the primary rebreather?
    Hey Pierre

I am currently building a Meg BOB, should be ready in a month or so.

Just let me know when you are in town again.

Cheers Dries

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa  View Original Post
    Hey Pierre

I am currently building a Meg BOB, should be ready in a month or so.

Just let me know when you are in town again.

Cheers Dries
    Hi Dries,
    Look forward to seeing your bailout rebreather. How's the exploration dives coming along? Found anything interesting lately?

RBW Member Dive Africa is an unknown quantity at this point Dive Africa's Avatar
    Meg

In Badgat (April) we found a big shaft between level 10 and what I now presume to be level 12 (124m - my guess) the shaft is l blocked by three sets of metal beams (but we might be able to move some of them) you can see the bottom though - the mission for this season is to get into level 12 - hence the thoughts of a Meg BOB/Sidemount.

In Sodwana (May) we found some very interesting cliffs and caves on the northern side of Diepgat (at about 80 to 100m) as well as fields of garden eels (45m), a new distribution of a Picasso trigger fish (not find on SA coast before) and potentially a whole new fish species, we will just have to wait and see what the scientist have to say. No coelacanths though

We will probably head of to Badgat the long weekend in August to start our build up dives for this season

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa  View Original Post
    In Badgat (April) we found a big shaft between level 10 and what I now presume to be level 12 (124m - my guess) the shaft is l blocked by three sets of metal beams (but we might be able to move some of them) you can see the bottom though - the mission for this season is to get into level 12 - hence the thoughts of a Meg BOB/Sidemount.

In Sodwana (May) we found some very interesting cliffs and caves on the northern side of Diepgat (at about 80 to 100m) as well as fields of garden eels (45m), a new distribution of a Picasso trigger fish (not find on SA coast before) and potentially a whole new fish species, we will just have to wait and see what the scientist have to say. No coelacanths though

We will probably head of to Badgat the long weekend in August to start our build up dives for this season
    What does Don say about your new find in Badgat? Is this on the same level where you and Allan broke open that metal door with the crowbar? I recall that was at +/- 140m deep and have you guys now explored the passages behind that small door? Anyways still pretty amazing exploration work at that kind of depths and so far from the exit of the cave system.
    Last edited by Pierre Lotz; 6th July 2011 at 18:31.

RBW Member anarchista is an unknown quantity at this point anarchista's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post
    Hi, generally not plumbed into primary system. In very cold water you must switch back and forth between them to keep the scrubbers warm.
    Just use LiOH does not lose its absorption at low temperatures.
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/attac...&d=1305541395t
    This is not a new idea, is known to decrease absorption LiOH after several cycles of compression and decompression.

greet rc
    Last edited by anarchista; 6th July 2011 at 19:31.

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anarchista  View Original Post
    Just use LiOH does not lose its absorption at low temperatures.
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/attac...&d=1305541395t
    This is not a new idea, is known to decrease absorption LiOH after several cycles of compression and decompression.

greet rc
    How does one get LiOH?

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz  View Original Post
    How does one get LiOH?
    Molecular USA.

greet rc

Quote Originally Posted by anarchista  View Original Post
    Molecular USA.

greet rc
    the bigger question I think is how do you use it?
    if I remember correctly you need a double molecular sieve (i.e water filter) because if it gets wet (as things tend to in diving) all hell brakes loose.
    and you need full suit protection (including gas mask) when packing the scrubber because the dust is dangerous. (if it gets in your lungs it's supposed to cause permanent damage)

let me quote from a googled MSDS:
    3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    EMERGENCY OVERVIEW: POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. MAY BE FATAL IF
    SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES BURNS TO ANY AREA OF CONTACT.
    POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
    Corrosive to eyes (may cause blindness), skin, nose and throat. Continuous inhalation
    exposure may cause lung damage

Quote Originally Posted by maayanh  View Original Post
    the bigger question I think is how do you use it?
    if I remember correctly you need a double molecular sieve (i.e water filter) because if it gets wet (as things tend to in diving) all hell brakes loose.
    and you need full suit protection (including gas mask) when packing the scrubber because the dust is dangerous. (if it gets in your lungs it's supposed to cause permanent damage)
    Bill Stone has the right technologies for the use of LiOH. It is also used in bailout equipment in absorbent oxygen generator Faser, NATO Stock Number - NSN 4240-43-000-1362.
    ATE-1
    There are mainly used KO2 and additional layer of LiOH.
    LiOH may be in the form of anhydrous then strongly dusty and form hydrated LiOH * H2O.
    Another thing, I wrote as his absorption changes after several cycles of compression and decompression, but I have this problem solved.

greet rc

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Lotz  View Original Post
    What does Don say about your new find in Badgat? Is this on the same level where you and Allan broke open that metal door with the crowbar? I recall that was at +/- 140m deep and have you guys now explored the passages behind that small door? Anyways still pretty amazing exploration work at that kind of depths and so far from the exit of the cave system.
    No. The door we broke open was at 108m. We have explored some bits here and we managed to link this door with the main-shaft on a continues loop. Quite a nice circuit to swim.

The plan this year is to to find the ends of the new 108m passages, that we discovered, and to break into the 124m level (if it even exist - I know it does).

Got a new H2O video camera from GMSconcepts and will be videoing the lot. really nice little camera *fantastic value for money.

The door at 140m is for next year.

You can contact me at dpretorius(at)bwlog(dot)com if you want some more info

Cheers Dries

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3