+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something Called Open Circuit

RBW Member Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought's Avatar
    rEvo,Meg,Inspo,Titan,Prism2

SCR's,Optima,MkVI,KISS

Something Called Open Circuit

Went diving yesterday at Seacrest Cove at Alki in Seattle, WA where you enter the water and see the Seattle Space Needle in the background – beautiful view. This happened on Saturday and a bit sheepish to admit but it was on open circuit scuba.:o

Seacrest is where I dove on off days during my commercial diver training at the Divers Institute of Technology (commercial dive school 80’s), and where I was trained on my first ccr ‘01, and where I find my self drawn to return looking for the six gill sharks, topless go-go girls, good coffee in Seattle? , etc…

I happen to be on an extended stay over on my way to Hawaii and then on to Truk Lagoon and there I am wearing a set of open circuit scuba gear. I’m only telling you this as I know this wont get around, but this o.c. stuff still works!…yes a bit noisy but you can breath and swim around and hey still dive with the stuff, go figure???

Anyone else tried using this old fashioned technology, perhaps we could form a club of o.c. dinosaur divers…

On a more serious note; Congratulations to Boris, Gordon and Erik for completing their SDI Scuba instructor training and welcome to the open circuit world of SCUBA instructors. I was actually working IT / IE and wearing o.c. gear for a course. Excited to have them join the ranks of scuba instructors as they create the divers that eventually turn to the dark side of rebreather divers.

P.S. Gordon and Erik are already KISS ccr divers and working on Boris, so I’m wondering will there be a day when we teach ccr open water divers as the norm??? Wow think about the future….

DT

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Re: Something Called Open Circuit

Congrats Gordy Boris and Erik!!! welcome to the club! soon maybe ???
    Sorry to hear about the OC Ron
    who the heck made you do that?? :D

RBW Member James Appel is an unknown quantity at this point James Appel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought
    Went diving yesterday at Seacrest Cove at Alki in Seattle, WA where you enter the water and see the Seattle Space Needle in the background – beautiful view. This happened on Saturday and a bit sheepish to admit but it was on open circuit scuba.:o

Seacrest is where I dove on off days during my commercial diver training at the Divers Institute of Technology (commercial dive school 80’s), and where I was trained on my first ccr ‘01, and where I find my self drawn to return looking for the six gill sharks, topless go-go girls, good coffee in Seattle? , etc…
    DT
    This is where I received my RB training last December from Peter Den Haan.
    Last edited by James Appel; 6th March 2006 at 06:48.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by James Appel
    This is where I received my RB training last December from Peter Den Haan.
    Cool and welcome James to the silent world. How is the diving in Or?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

There is much to be said for being able to set up a in about 5 mins.
    Did a single tank OC dive the weekend before last, bp/w, what a nice little
    streamlined rig that is. And less than 1/3 lead. :D
    Even if the diving isn't half as fun ... .

The Space Needle on the other hand is overrated I think.
    I for one prefer the TV tower in Toronto. ;)
    Attached Images

Sentinel & Boris IT hypoxicexplorer is on a distinguished road hypoxicexplorer is on a distinguished road hypoxicexplorer's Avatar
    Ouroboros, Sentinel, KISS

KISS Classic, Dolphin & Ray

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7

That is a nice photo of the tower

Supporting Member Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds's Avatar

This is one of the better shots of the CN Tower I have seen. Thanks for sharing Caveseeker.

Westwinds.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Westwinds
    This is one of the better shots of the CN Tower I have seen.
    What does CN stand for? Canadian norm? :D
    I thought it was totally voluptious ... :o

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

What tower, i cant see any tower.....:p Can see a couple of mountains though

/Jonny

meg & rEvo

What does CN stand for? Canadian norm? :D
    Canadian National!! Since everyone is so interested in th CN Tower here are some useful (useless!) CN Tower Facts: :p
    • The CN Tower was built by the Canadian National Railway.
    • At 181 storeys, 553.33m (1,815 ft., 5 in.) it is the world's tallest building and free-standing structure
    • Height of: Glass Floor - 113 storeys - 342m (1,122ft.) Look Out Level - 114 storeys- 346m (1,136ft.) Sky Pod - 147 storeys- 447m (1,465ft.)
    • At the base of the CN Tower: * Circumference - 109.1m (358ft.) * Radius - 33.2m (109.2 ft.) * Diameter - 66.6m (218.4 ft.)
    • Located at a: * latitude of 43 degrees 28 mins 36 sec North * longitude of 79 degrees 23 mins 15 sec West
    • Opened to the public on June 26, 1976
    • Official opening on October 1, 1976
    • Original cost: $63 million
    • Adjusted cost (1999 dollars): $260 million
    • Construction started on February 6, 1973
    • Total construction time: 40 months
    • Tower sphere construction (middle portion) started on August 1974
    • Antenna construction started on March 1975
    • Construction of The Tower was completed on February 22, 1974, and the antenna was completed on April 2, 1975
    • Number of construction workers: 1,537
    • Total weight of the Tower: 117,910 metric tonnes (130,000 tons)
    • Volume of concrete: 40,523.8 cubic metres (53,000 cubic yards)
    • Tensioned steel: 128.7km (80 miles)
    • Reinforcing steel: 4,535 metric tonnes (5,000 tons)
    • Structural steel: 544.2 metric tonnes (600 tons)
    • Number of elevators: 6 (including 2 which officially opened March 20, 1997)
    • Speed of elevators: 6 metres/second (20 feet/second)
    • Slow speed of elevators (in high winds): 1.5 metres/second (5 feet/second)
    • Attendance: about 2 million per year
    • Total staff (off season): approximately 400
    • Total staff (peak season): approximately 550 · Maximum sway in 190 km/h winds with 320 km/h gusts (120 mph winds with 200 mph gusts): *Antenna: 6 ft., 8 in. from centre * Sky Pod: 3 ft., 4 in. from centre * Tower Sphere: 1 ft., 7 in. from centre
    • Windows: Double-pane armour-plated
    • Thickness of windows: Outer pane - 9.5 mm (3/8 inch), inner pane - 6.4 mm (1/4 inch)
    • Glass Floor was opened on June 26, 1994
    • 360 Restaurant was opened on April 25, 1995
    • The Wine Cellar in 360 Restaurant was opened on May 13, 1997
    • Capacity of 360, The Restaurant at the Tower: 400 people
    • Time for 360 Restaurant to revolve once: 72 minutes
    • Capacity of Horizons Café: 500 people
    • The opening of the $26 million entertainment expansion, which was completed in nine months, took place on June 26, 1998
    • Broadcast Facilities: UHF, VHF Television; FM Radio; Microwave Transmissions; Fixed Mobile Systems
    • Companies that broadcast from the Tower: § CBC Channel 5 & 25, CFMT 47, CFTO 9, City 57, Global/CIII 41, TV Ontario 19, LOOK Communications (Digital), CHFI/Rogers, CFNY FM, CHIN FM, CHUM FM, CILQ FM, CJEZ FM, CJRT FM, CKFM FM, Bell Canada, Cantel, Motorola, TTC
    • Thickness of The Glass Floor: 2 1/2 ". Layers, from the top down: * 3/16" scuff plate (replaced annually) * Two 1/2" layers of clear tempered glass, laminated together * A one inch layer of air (for insulation) * Two 1/4" layers of clear tempered glass, laminated together * Size of each panel: 42" by 50" * Load tests are performed annually on each panel to ensure safety.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast