+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lamar Hires speaks on CCR Cave Bailout

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Lamar Hires speaks on CCR Cave Bailout

Quote Originally Posted by bletso  View Original Post
    The Optima as well as most of the units out there use smaller bottles for the breathers with no access OC to them.
    Onboard dil is available for OC on any rig if you use a combo octo/inflator. I think Lamar might have a Rite Source on his wing.

Jeff Tindall icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by bletso  View Original Post
    The Optima as well as most of the units out there use smaller bottles for the breathers with no access OC to them.
    Not sure that is correct. My Optima came with a second stage connected to the DIL. Maybe it has changed since the earlier units, but it was there FWIW.

I personally don't care to really consider my onboard DIL in my BO planning for anything other than an intermediate step from the loop to my BO. I have always carried two BO bottles, but I generally have the left connected to my offboard gas block and its 2nd stage deployed around my neck. The right is stowed, but I have a LP hose connected to my drysuit. I think I'll try keeping the right completely stowed and either use a drysuit inflation bottle or run off my left hand cylinder.

Good discussion.

Cheers,
    Jeff

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

What I have actually observed is no OC to most divers on board gas. I wouldn't either with a 19 or 20 cf supply. My suit inflation is from an argon supply. My buoyancy is from diluent on board between CL volume and wing.

We have found that on multi day diving in depths 20 - 40 msw, diluent was down 10 cf after 4 dives and 5 hrs BT. MCCR is very frugal. In cave we top off before every dive and deep we use a different configuration.

Roger, when the OPV gave us chronic problems we replaced it with a very stiff BC type. No problems since. We just nose vent the CL's

Same with the ADV, when it always was a source of leakage, we got rid of it and now use only a MAV.

Psquared, "Second stages that are finger tight on the hoses so they can be swapped easily if needed (keep the odd Poseidon out of the mix ) as well as the willingness and ability to swap out regulators underwater."

I used to do that until one decided to part company in a cave. I carry a gerber tool now and don't finger tighten any connection.

Dale

RBW Member stats1984 is an unknown quantity at this point stats1984's Avatar

It seems that most people are missing Lamar's message. I think that Lamar is stressing the simple point of redundancy -- one 80 is not the same as two 40's. With two 40's, you have two first and second stages not just one of each. The choice of gas supply is dependent upon the dive and individual team members requirements. Other post address the need for redundant oxygen and are very relevant for expedition diving, but not for the type of diving that he talks about in the video. I am glad that RBW posted the videos of all of the speakers and all of the comments generated get people thinking about safety.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by stats1984  View Original Post
    It seems that most people are missing Lamar's message. I think that Lamar is stressing the simple point of redundancy -- one 80 is not the same as two 40's. With two 40's, you have two first and second stages not just one of each. The choice of gas supply is dependent upon the dive and individual team members requirements. Other post address the need for redundant oxygen and are very relevant for expedition diving, but not for the type of diving that he talks about in the video. I am glad that RBW posted the videos of all of the speakers and all of the comments generated get people thinking about safety.

Exactly

When i dived OC I would take two stages even on a 40m-50m deco dive.

32% and 80%.

The 32% would act as deep bailout to back up the back gas and the deco could be done on back gas + 32% or back gas and 80%

If all went well the 32 + 80 combo gave very short deco in comparison with say a single 80 of 50% which was useeless at max depth and provided a non redundent deco.

However i have a problem with his theory.

On CCR I am always carrying a deep bailout and a deco gas. Does he sugest i carry four tanks?

Carrying two 40s in a shalow Mexico cave is fine by me but carrying four on a 60m dive is too much kit stress.

I carry redundent gas Incase my CCR fails. I dont carry redundent gas for my ccr failing and my redundent gas failing???

The GUE boys would tell me on OC they could carry a single 80 of 50% and deco out on back gas if it failed. Cool but thats a very small operational window to dive in. Same with two same gas bailouts.

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 13th November 2010 at 09:45.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3