+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Easy jet & Sharm el Shiek

RBW Member Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully's Avatar
    Evo+,Inspiration

Classic

Easy jet & Sharm el Shiek

Hi just got back from a week in Sharm and thought it might be fun to do a report, so here goes.

First of all credit where its due Easyjet out of Luton went like clockwork. I paid £18 each way for extra baggage alowance which gave me a total of 50kgs split 30-20, not including hand luggage. I put my Evo+ minus tanks canister and electronics in one bag with wet suit,fins and all other dive accessories , and a 2 pack of lime ( 9kg ) with some clothes in the other. I put the can with the electrics in a rucksack and carried it on.
    I expected to have problems on the way back but not so again like clockwork. for a budget flight 10 out of 10 .

I booked my diving on line with Ocean Collage , they said they were ccr friendly and paid for a five day package , good deal on line 145 euros , I sent 4 emails confirming my tank requirements 2ltr air 2ltr 02 & 7ltr air bail out . They re confirmed and told me to be outside my hotel with my gear the morning after i arrived at 07;30.
    We stayed at the Hauza beach resort which seemed nearer to Israil than Naama bay, we went all inc but the food was realy crappy so we didn't bother apart from an omlette in the mornings.One thing that got up my nose was getting up at 6 and having to wait till exactly 7 o'clock before they would open the door , by that time there could be thirty people waiting outside, it then became a free for all to get somthing to eat and drink. so now we had no time to relax before our pickup time.again by the end of the week we didn't bother.
    We got picked up at around 07;45 and continued picking other people up untill the bus was full then arived about an hour later at the Hilton Farouz near Naama this was Ocean Collages ops centre . we filled out the usual disclaimers and put our fins and suits ect in there little plastic boxs and everyone was herded into there boat groups , I was now getting strange looks with my yellow box slung over my back.
    We then went back to the road to get another bus to go to the harbor after arriving we had to wait untill the egyptians working for O/C had done the paperwork and then the boat was allowed to tie onto the pontoon.
    By the time we got on board it was now about 10;30/45 . This was to be the pattern for the whole week pick up at 07;30 -bus to O/C regroup bus to harbour dive back to harbour for 4 or 5 depending on wether they could sell a third dive , bus to O/C regroup then bus back to hotel. It felt like we were sheep, wait here untill i say follow me then wait here some more , complete with role calls by the end of the week I was answering my name with a Baa.

Anyway back to the boat we all had to get out of the way so they could count the boxes to the amount of people we then got told we were diving local re;check dives on Near and Far Garden, ok I can understand that they don't know us and its there way of sorting out what everyone was like.
    It was about then that I noticed the two 3ltr cylinders in the corner and since I was the only CCR diver asked were they meant for me. I got some blank looks and I had to explain that I needed 2ltr tanks and that it had been confirmed via several email that they could arrange that. after 10 - 15 mins on the phone it was obvious they didn't have any and that they had ordered the wrong ones from another company, they said they would sort it the next day. I then ended up stripping the box off my unit and lashed the 3lts into it use-ing whatever I could namely a weightbelt and cable ties . I ended up with the cylinders sticking out the top at an angle . next came the bail out tank I brought my own regs so I knew they was ok . Mark the English instructor on the boat pointed to a 10 ltr bare tank in the other corner no stage kit . I was really getting pi**ed off by now as they had obviously had enough of me by now and were avoiding helping me or making eye contact. I managed to get some rope from one of the crew and got a tank band from a O/C bcd that was left on board, eventually I got it all together.did my pre dive checks and after expressing my opinion the Eygptian guide asked do I know what i'm doing and was i qualified to dive like this and mabe if I wasn't happy i shouldn't dive ! struth ! "All they had to do was to supply tanks & weights" or tell me they couldn't. Breifing, company policy 1 hour dive max , don't touch , follow me, only look at what iv'e ponited at ect,ect. Group 1 wait ! hrry up & follow me ! jump !
    At last peace & quiet , warm water. great vis, beautiful reef & beautiful fish and my rebreather is working perfectly bliss. " rattle " " rattle " the Egyptian guide " whats wrong " Nothing" I sign.
    At the end of the dive they asked why I hadn't kept up and my mate and I explained we wern't in a hurry and that it was a mooring dive so you would have met us on the way back ! Baa.
    To be honest it became clear by there admission they didn't understand any form of tech diving and my mate with an OTS FFM and me on a rebreather we got left to our own devices . the tanks never got sorted they turned up the next day with 1 1/2 ltr tanks but the valves faced the wrong way, they did manage to find a 7ltr stage with straps & clips hallaula.
    We did Shark and Yohlander the next day awesome ! so different on CCR ! only downer was at one point at the end of the dive I started counting divers and lost count at 45 , at that stage there was more divers than fish. we ended up doing Ras Mohammed 2 days and Tiran the other two days, the diving was great and we ended up just being told where to get out. please. My last day I did the Canyon at Woodhouse fantastic. Did make me chuckle when the English guide asked me to to a safety stop .
    All in all I had a great week racking up the hours, but in hind sight i'm a bit Sharmed out , next time I will probably do a live aboard with like minded people.Getting up at 6 in the morning, spending all day till 6 or 7 at night to do two 1 hour dives got to me in the end . I feel like I need a holiday LOL.
    In fairness to Ocean collage they withdrew there demand for tank rental and charged me for 02 and national park fees and chamber donation.
    Hope i didn't bore you to much Sully. Keep safe dive safe.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Re: Easy jet & Sharm el Shiek

sorry you had a bad time ,, i did my mod1 with them and used there ccr s and cylinders . i got the chance to dive with 3 dif units one of them had 2L cylinders ,, i had a fine time, they even let me use a ccr for the last 4 days of my hols at no cost to me ,, just lime and o2 to pay for ,,

i was v happy with my time with them ,,

ps the big boss at the school dives a baby ybod ,, with the 2L Cylinders ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 8th November 2010 at 18:43.

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Just a thought --- next time maybe Fly into Hurghada, then a short ride to Orca Dive Club diving resort:

Location & Facilities Dive Center Safaga Egypt

I got a tour whilst there in July. Great tech support, incredible facility for CCR's, and very nice hotel accommodations right on the beach..

Priced seems reasonable too.... Sorry Sharm was frustrating... Sound like my last Kona trip...

John

RBW Member Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully's Avatar
    Evo+,Inspiration

Classic

sorry you had a bad time ,, i did my mod1 with them and used there ccr s and cylinders . i got the chance to dive with 3 dif units one of them had 2L cylinders ,, i had a fine time, they even let me use a ccr for the last 4 days of my hols at no cost to me ,, just lime and o2 to pay for ,,

Today 17:59

All in all I had a good week but I felt like I was caught up in a tourist try dive centre, Did you do your course out of the Hilton Farouz ?
    I understand the big boss was busy drumming up some big buisiness at Birmingham that week

RBW Member clarkie is an unknown quantity at this point clarkie's Avatar

Hi Sully

Thanks for the trip report.

I'm in the process of trying to get out to the Red Sea in March, it will be my first time to Egypt with the box (Sentinel).

I thought that there may be issues with excess baggage but it sounds like it was all good...

Freinds that dive Rebreather's have also had issues with renting the correct cylinders after pre arranging in the UK.

We can live in hope

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Sully  View Original Post

Today 17:59

All in all I had a good week but I felt like I was caught up in a tourist try dive centre, Did you do your course out of the Hilton Farouz ?
    I understand the big boss was busy drumming up some big buisiness at Birmingham that week
    sorry m8 ,, im getting my facts mixed up .. it was
    redsea diving callege for my mod1.. and not the out fit you are talking about ,,

I have dived and had B&B with your out fit in the past but only on OC, and things ran fine ,,

think your right about sharm abit of a rat run now ,,
    when i first went there was only two hotels and no air port, you had to fly into ovder Israe then 200 mile in a taxi from Eilat , 24hr of pissing about ,, not is 5 and a bit hr ,, i still like the place for a week of warmwater fun in the sun ,, diving is still ok ,,

sorry once again for post bollox

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

If you are going to sharm talk to Aaron Bruce at Werner lau dive centre, he will be able to cater for all your needs, A very experienced ccr trainer

Easyjet are brilliant as long as you play by their rules, the thing I especially like is the unlimited weight for hand luggage. As long as it fits within a certain size.

I take my complete rebreather minus the stand and tanks as hand luggage.

HTH

Dave

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Another advice for CCR in Hurghada is:

Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step

They are ex Orca directly in Hurghada (Sekalla/Le Pacha) and have great logistics for CCR + reasonable pricing..

As far as the boat trips go you can choose whether you follow the OC schedule with 2 dive around 1 hr. runtime or you do one extended dive..

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by clarkie  View Original Post
    I thought that there may be issues with excess baggage but it sounds like it was all good...
    Isn't the Sentinel is a bit heavier than the evo?

With my classic inspo I am regularily quite at the limit with 20+30 kgs allowance.. I really need to consider which clothes to pack.. (as after the weight of the suitcases and the Box+ suit etc. only app. 5-6 kgs remain for clothes)
    At the Red sea no issue, but next week I am going to Scapa.. I think the only option will be to dress with a couple of layers of clothes during the flight

Cheeky Monkey........... Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans is a name known to all Paul Evans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave t  View Original Post
    If you are going to sharm talk to Aaron Bruce at Werner lau dive centre, he will be able to cater for all your needs, A very experienced ccr trainer
    Another vote for Aaron, Fantasic instructor and runs a brilliant operation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast