+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 9 month project

RBW Member hanord is an unknown quantity at this point hanord's Avatar

My 9 month project

Hi everyone,

I'm a diver from Norway with ambitions to become a technical diver, comfortable with caves and deep wrecks. I just finalized tek lite training with trimix + deco and found that it really appeals to me.

My next step is to get a lot more practice and take the full OC tek training. After that, in about 9 months, my goal is to become a rebreather diver. I tried an Evolution rebreather in the Caribbean last month and got immediately sold on the concept.

So I'm going to spend the next 9 months learning more about rebreathers and eventually decide on a machine. That's why I joined rebreatherworld.com.

My impression of rebreathers so far is that there are the good, old, trusted rebreathers like Megalodon and Evolution that have been used in tens of thousands of tek dives. They require lots of knowledge from the user and are somewhat manual to operate. Then there's the more modern rebreathers like Poseidon Discovery which use more sophisticated computers, but they're not held in high regard among old school rebreather divers. Is my impression right? Is it like the concerns people had when advanced dive computers appeared and people trusted tables more?

Anyways, I hope to learn more about rebreathers. I'd be very happy if you have any pointers to good articles about rebreathers and care to share them. And yes, I'll also go search more in the FAQs.

Thanks!

Haavard

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: My 9 month project

Its more of a mindset thing really. Most folks who've dived for a while know that all kit fails sooner or later, so they like to know how it will fail and how to recover the situation manually.

In a lot of the newer releases there are great ideas, but also often the removal (dumbing down) of additional systems that are considered useful in recovering from a serious CCR failure (including manual control of dil/o2 addition). Innovation is nothing to fear, as long as its actually improving your dive.

Enjoy your 9 months...keep an open mind, keep questioning and look at how you will use your new gadget and how you would manage recovery from a failure.

At the end of the day its life support equipment, you need to be happy with your choice and take responsibility for it (and sadly pay for it!)
    Last edited by EBT; 8th November 2010 at 21:35.

+ Reply to Thread