+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Doppler, Any use?

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

Cheap Doppler, Any use?

pocket fetal doppler baby monitor FDA CE heart beat GM - eBay (item 280583225008 end time Nov-30-10 22:05:14 PST)

I saw a whole bunch of these very cheap doppler ultrasound devices on ebay. Would they have any use?

Teoman

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Cheap Doppler, Any use?

I carry a similar one with me in my kit at all times.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I carry a similar one with me in my kit at all times.
    does it work well for the diving application? i am thinking of getting one also....
    mel

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

It works well enough to hear large bubbles, or maybe enough bubbles to cause a problem. I carry it because of the PFO and if I hear something I don't like, I'll take it easy and suck some O2. It's certainly not as sensitive as a real medical doppler, but it's smaller and a whole lot cheaper. I often check myself after a deep dive.

Ken

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

It works well enough to hear large bubbles, or maybe enough bubbles to cause a problem. I carry it because of the PFO and if I hear something I don't like, I'll take it easy and suck some O2. It's certainly not as sensitive as a real medical doppler, but it's smaller and a whole lot cheaper. I often check myself after a deep dive.

Ken

In a talk given by Dr. Marvin Gozum, he indicated that the baby dopplers worked as well, if not better, than the medical great for detecting bubbles in the carotid artery, which is where most of us use them to check. Good to use the gel to improve transmission.

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

I have one of those fetal dopplers. Since seeing one of Dr Marvin Gozum's talks on it. They're cheap, so why not give it a try?

But you do need to practice at finding the right spot (just around the left collar bone) and that can be a pain, particularly on a juddering boat or car. Also hearing over the noise can be an issue.
    You need a 'negative' (a good idea of what your heart sounds like with no bubbles, just sitting on the couch), before you go diving.
    I second the suggestion about the gel, and normal drysuit lube will work in a pinch.

The concept is good, and it's worth checking yourself after a deep dive if you can. But the truth is - if you're in any way feeling not right, why not just go on O2 anyway? You've got a rebreather and a tank of Oxygen right there. Then if you need to... call DAN.

I find I rarely can be bothered with it after a dive, now that I've established that so long as I dive within the usual conservatism I don't hear bubbles and don't feel bad.
    But I don't begrudge the 50 buck outlay, I feel I learned a bit more by using it ocasionally.
    (and heck, my wife can use it if we have kids one day!)

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

I have a cheap $50 fetal doppler. It works great. The best place to pick up a signal is on a right subclavian vein, just below the collar bone. The signal is strongest there.

Marv Gozum (Saturation) did a great presentation on it this year at the BTS. His point, I think, was to use a portable, affordable doppler as a tool to fine-tune your dive computer conservatism settings. Because let's face it, my conservatism setting is different from yours. The best indication we have after a dive frankly is how you feel, and this can be very subjective. The doppler takes all the guess work out, and provides quick and clear confirmation that the conservatism settings on your computer are either working, can be loosened, or need to be tightened up, based on your individual physiology, not on some abstract mathematical model.

So, yes, it takes a little getting used to, but can be used with great success. There is nothing more reassuring than to hear your own strong blood flow after a big dive.

JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1948  View Original Post
    for detecting bubbles in the carotid artery, which is where most of us use them to check
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge  View Original Post
    The best place to pick up a signal is on a right subclavian vein, just below the collar bone. The signal is strongest there.

Just for the sake of accuracy, it's the subclavian artery you're looking for. The carotid will give too much interference noise due to musculature IMHO, and a vein will not have a pulse flow at all. Directly under the clavicle and aim a slight amount medial. Practice in the comfort of your couch at home until you get good at finding it.

Ken

RBW Member Owen P. Bermann is an unknown quantity at this point Owen P. Bermann's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Just for the sake of accuracy, it's the subclavian artery you're looking for. The carotid will give too much interference noise due to musculature IMHO, and a vein will not have a pulse flow at all. Directly under the clavicle and aim a slight amount medial. Practice in the comfort of your couch at home until you get good at finding it.

Ken
    Guys,
    You want to use either the the Subclavian vein, or better yet, the Common Femoral vein if you're using Doppler to base the conservatism of your deco. If you're picking up gas emboli in ANY artery, you've already got a problem (PFO with a right to left shunt, or some kind of arteriovenous malformation).

BTW, if you're not getting a good signal, the problem is technique. I'd be happy the show you. (may also be a bad probe, they don't like to be dropped)

While the fetal Dopplers are actually capable of being used for peripheral vessels, the frequency is a bit low, so they aren't as sensitive as one designed for peripheral vascular. They're better suited to the heart. I can show you how to do that too but it takes a lot of practice.

Regards,
    Owen

JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Owen P. Bermann  View Original Post
    Guys,
    You want to use either the the Subclavian vein, or better yet, the Common Femoral vein if you're using Doppler to base the conservatism of your deco. If you're picking up gas emboli in ANY artery, you've already got a problem (PFO with a right to left shunt, or some kind of arteriovenous malformation).

BTW, if you're not getting a good signal, the problem is technique. I'd be happy the show you. (may also be a bad probe, they don't like to be dropped)

While the fetal Dopplers are actually capable of being used for peripheral vessels, the frequency is a bit low, so they aren't as sensitive as one designed for peripheral vascular. They're better suited to the heart. I can show you how to do that too but it takes a lot of practice.

Regards,
    Owen
    You're the ultrasonic guru, but I beg to differ. Venous bubbles are not an indication of a problem unless they are extreme. They will ordinarily get filtered out in the lung. It's arterial bubbles that indicate a problem, either by not getting filtered in the lungs due to a pulmonary problem or bypassing the lungs by crossover from the venous side to the arterial side, as in the case of an AV malformation or septal defect like a PFO. I don't think that venous bubbles can cause a serious DCS issue. If the venous blood is so riddled with bubbles as to cause a problem, you're going to know it without the benefit of doppler. So not only is it much easier to hear an artery than a vein with a baby doppler, it's also more indicative of a potential problem.

As for using the femoral vessels, that's a little bit of a problem in a drysuit. But maybe you can show me next time on the boat right after you remove my pee valve catheter.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast