+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truk Lagoon October 2010 Trip Report

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Truk Lagoon October 2010 Trip Report

After a successful Truk trip last year I decided to run another for 2010 but this time for 10 days instead of 15. This proved to be the right decision as it was just too long last year.

We had 2 options, the first was to make your own way to Cairns and join the trip there, the other was to join us in Guam. We had 7 meet in Cairns and 2 meet us in Guam. Adam had trouble from the beginning when his flight to Heathrow was delayed causing an unfortunate chain of events, but he made it to Guam to join us but one of his bags, the one with his Meg in it, didn’t materialize until the second last day which left him to dive OC except for one dive when Graham loaned him his Evolution whilst he had an afternoon off. Thomas had his rebreather bag go missing but fortunately it arrived a few days later.

IMG_1272S.jpg
    Group shot taken on our last night. From Left around the table. Michael Match Inspo, Nick Terry (The Gas Sherpa) Meg, Thomas Kuhnel Meg, Adam Wysoczanski Meg, Graham Sharp Paul Evolution, Louis Rankin (The Canary), Andy Del Kiss, Dan Cramer Evolution.

We arrived just before lunch and set up our gear and had a dive that afternoon on the Heian Maru to check out the gear and make sure everything was working as it should. Andy was cursing TSA for opening his bag and removing his wing but after a bit if head scratching he quite cleverly adapted a BCD to fit his Kiss. He later borrowed a wing for the remainder of the trip and found his wing sitting at home waiting for him where he had actually left it. I’m sure he apologized to TSA for calling them all the names under the Sun!!!

This was the only time we dived together a group with the 2 boats going to different wrecks for the remainder of the trip.

This trip wasn’t without the usual problems tho, I had arranged to have Helium and 300kgs of sorb shipped over. The Helium arrived well within time but a week before we left, the sorb was found sitting in a warehouse in Guam, so I decided to send it by air to get it there in time. That was the plan but it actually arrived 4 days before the trip ended. Many thanks to Pete Mesley for loaning us some of his sorb to keep us going until ours arrived!!!

2010_10_13_1750S.jpg
    Graham in the shallows before the farewell BBQ

The first few days were a bit tense until we all go to know each other and by the end of the trip I don’t think I have laughed so much on a trip ever. One of the highlights of the trip was the naming of the “Rebreather Canary” Now this is a kick back to the coal mining days when the miners would take a Canary down into the mine to detect any poisonous gasses......It’s basically a “Go” and “No Go” type detection system and my original plan was to have a Canary mounted in a “Heads Up Display Unit” breathing the same loop as the diver. Canary sitting upright is “Go” Canary still hanging on the perch but upside down is “No Go”

The only problem was there were no Canaries on Truk but we had our "Test Diver" with us by the name of Louis, so Louis became “The Canary” Check the Canary and if he’s still on the perch then it’s all got to be good to go!!

2010_10_13_1757CRS.jpg
    Louis "The Canary"

The “A Team" (read the boat I was NOT on) had some interesting new diving techniques I initially disapproved of, but after Michael explained how the “Gas Sherpa” system worked it put my mind at ease and made perfectly good sense. Why carry all that bailout gas around with you when you can have the “Gas Sherpa” do it for you!! Nick is a big guy and could easily carry everyone’s gas for them. I actually tried to get a photo of him in action but as you can imagine trying to get 8 divers to all do what was briefed and at the same time......It was not going to happen!! I did manage to get a group photo in the shallows at the Island just before or farewell BBQ.

2010_10_13_1745S.jpg
    Group shot in the shallows just before the farewell BBQ

I was pleasantly surprised to find Nick is also a “NutCase” not unlike myself and wears a drysuit whenever he dives. It was great to have some of the comments directed at him and not to have to deal with them all myself. Anyhow we were warm, dry and comfortable thank you!!!

We dived as many of the deep and seldomly dived wrecks as we could and I jumped boat one day and we went looking for the Katsurigasan Maru. We finally found it after a 2 hour search and covering an area of 1/3rd of a nautical mile. We had tried to dive it last year but it didn’t happen and it looked like the same fate was to bestow us again this year. But we did find it and hooked up nice and firm and everyone had a good time on it. She’s starting to break up and collapse quite badly now and will not be standing for too much longer. I got some nice pics and was impressed with the colours on the wreck. I have the GPS coordinates for it now so it will be a lot easier to find in the future!!

Before we knew it 9 days were up and we were cleaning and drying our gear ready to pack for the trip home the following day. We were asked to be at the airport 4 hours prior to the flight and once we were finally checked in we followed Michael to a Pizza Shop, which incidentally had no pizza, where we killed time waiting for the flight. Once in the waiting lounge we were surprised at the size of the huge pile of baggage being moved around with an oversized forklift.......The airlines must love rebreather divers!!

2010_10_13_1755S.jpg
    Thomas having some fun in the shallows

We all made it back home and everyone arrived with their baggage which is always nice after a big trip. I made it home with the worst case of the Flu I have ever had which had me take 2 weeks off work to recover.

I’d like to thank everyone for making this trip one of the best trips I have put together yet. Good company and good safe diving with the “Canary” and “Gas Sherpa” to take care of us.

I will be running another Truk trip next year around the same time in early October 2011, I will post the details once I have sorted them.

Regards,

Lance
    Last edited by Lancer4545; 3rd November 2010 at 05:30.

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar

Re: Truk Lagoon October 2010 Trip Report

A few more pictures from the trip

2010_10_06_1155S.jpg
    Deck gun SanFrancisco Maru

2010_10_09_1460S.jpg
    Aikoku Maru
    Thomas maintaining his 45M through the "Goal Posts"

2010_10_10_1505S.jpg
    Micheal "Take my Photo" Katsuragisan Maru

2010_10_10_1492S.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru downline

2010_10_10_1519S.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru Bow

A few more

2010_10_08_1363S.jpg
    Mitsubishi A6M Zero engine Amigisan Maru

2010_10_10_1541RS.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru

2010_10_10_1549S.jpg
    Katsuragisan Maru Stern

2010_10_13_1718S.jpg
    Nippo Maru Bow with Dan at the right

2010_10_11_1645S.jpg
    Adam filming on the Sub I-169

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Lance,

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the photos and the write up!

Regards,
    Randy

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Lance nice report but where are the pictures of me......The gas sherpa, I'm sure you had one with my new greenforce cooking a fish ready for tea?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiver  View Original Post
    Lance nice report but where are the pictures of me......The gas sherpa, I'm sure you had one with my new greenforce cooking a fish ready for tea?

Nick
    Is that all you've got to say!!!

Poor little fishy....

2010_10_13_1762RS.jpg
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

Luke I am your father Deepdiver is an unknown quantity at this point Deepdiver's Avatar

Ah that's better getting the fish supper or was it the lunch, he was in there somewhere I'll get him...................

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

And you call me The Canary is that Adam @ 70m on the Katsuragisan Maru with 1 cylinder on his back carrying his bailout tank!!!

If so you kept that dive quiet I thought only the A team dived it + sub (B team diver wearing a dry suit)
    Last edited by louisrankin; 3rd November 2010 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by louisrankin  View Original Post
    And you call me The Canary is that Adam @ 70m on the Katsuragisan Maru with 1 cylinder on his back carrying his bailout tank!!!

If so you kept that dive quiet I thought only the A team dived it + sub (B team diver wearing a dry suit)
    You should know......You were there!!

That's David our guide making sure the shot was tied off properly. Had you not sped off and left your buddy behind (me) you would have known !!

Cheep Cheep.......

Regards,

Lance

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

Sorry I was busy snapping sticks of dynamite in half just to make sure they what not cause any risk to other divers on the wreck!!

Cheep Cheep Booooooooooooooooooooooooooom
    Last edited by louisrankin; 3rd November 2010 at 12:06.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast