+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uganda Shipwreck Straights of Mackinac

RBW Member Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought's Avatar
    rEvo,Meg,Inspo,Titan,Prism2

SCR's,Optima,MkVI,KISS

Uganda Shipwreck Straights of Mackinac

Here is a link to a youtube post on a video I shot this August while diving with Shipwreck Explorers. Shipwreck Explorers The wreck of the Uganda is in the west part of the Straights of Mackinac, or North tip of Lake Michigan.

Jitka launched out of the new public marina in Mackinaw City and our group of OC and CCR divers headed out to dive the stern section. Upon arrival we could not find the stern jug, so we moored on the bow. The wreck lies in a river bed and the action of the Straights must have an affect on this wreck as I hear it has a ripping current. There was a moderate current flowing from bow to stern, so we swiftly made our way to the stern as I was interested in filming the engine room.

The wreck sits in about 200 feet, and there is plenty of ambient light, and both times I have been on this wreck the vis was very good (once no current, once with moderate current). It is a neat shipwreck, very intact hull with bow and stern cabins blown off, however there is a unique center cabin which is very intact with windows, and interior features. The stern hit hard and popped some of the interior walls out of engine room, but an easy penetration.

Thanks to Jitka for editing the video, and posting it.

Ron

Silent Explorers
    Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step

RBW Member MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL's Avatar
    rEvomicronaut:)&OCsidemounther

Re: Uganda Shipwreck Straights of Mackinac

Nice! Very nice, I like it! >> Uganda Shipwreck Straights of Mackinac
    Great Job! RON & JITKA

......, but I personally LOVE >> Your Norman video ,
    that is really Incredible explore JOB !!!
    Norman steel steamer shipwreck - Presque Isle, Michigan
    YouTube - CzechDiver's Channel

RBW Member dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke's Avatar
    APD Vision

Hi Great video
    thanks for letting us all watch this
    safe diving
    dave

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought  View Original Post
    Here is a link to a youtube post on a video I shot this August while diving with Shipwreck Explorers. Shipwreck Explorers The wreck of the Uganda is in the west part of the Straights of Mackinac, or North tip of Lake Michigan.

Jitka launched out of the new public marina in Mackinaw City and our group of OC and CCR divers headed out to dive the stern section. Upon arrival we could not find the stern jug, so we moored on the bow. The wreck lies in a river bed and the action of the Straights must have an affect on this wreck as I hear it has a ripping current. There was a moderate current flowing from bow to stern, so we swiftly made our way to the stern as I was interested in filming the engine room.

The wreck sits in about 200 feet, and there is plenty of ambient light, and both times I have been on this wreck the vis was very good (once no current, once with moderate current). It is a neat shipwreck, very intact hull with bow and stern cabins blown off, however there is a unique center cabin which is very intact with windows, and interior features. The stern hit hard and popped some of the interior walls out of engine room, but an easy penetration.

Thanks to Jitka for editing the video, and posting it.

YouTube - Uganda.mpg

Ron

Silent Explorers
    Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step
    nice job ron, what lighting are you using?? i have to try the video function on mine sometime
    mel

RBW Member garyd is an unknown quantity at this point garyd's Avatar
    KISS Classic #408

Very nice Ron. Will have to make the effort to run out there next time I'm up there.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread