Thread: Tek Talk

CEO OZ TEK Strike is an unknown quantity at this point Strike's Avatar

Tek Talk

Again poised to deliver a dynamic diving event, the seventh OZTeK Diving Technologies Conference & Exhibition - OZTeK'11 - will take place over the weekend of the 12 - 13 March 2011 at Australian Technology Park, in Sydney, Australia.

Offering a rare opportunity to be enthralled, educated and entertained by some of modern diving's most accomplished identities, OZTeK'11 probes beyond the usual diving limits to tap into the very core of exciting underwater experiences.

Complemented by an exhibition featuring the latest diving developments, OZTeK'11 is an event for divers whose thirst for knowledge is matched only by their spirit of adventure.

For further information about OZTeK'11, please visit the website at: OZTeK Conference

Strike

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Re: Tek Talk

Strikey,

Just wondering, but are you planning to get video/audio coverage of any of the sessions? One of my very minor gripes about the OzTek 09 was that there were times where you had too many good presentations on in parallel.

It'd be great if we could get catch up on these via podcast, though I realise the logistics may be too much to cover all sessions.

Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    Last edited by betti154; 8th November 2010 at 20:18. Reason: typo

CEO OZ TEK Strike is an unknown quantity at this point Strike's Avatar

G'Day, Damien,

The question of filming the talks is a constantly recurring one, and while I appreciate that it's impossible to attend all of the presentations that one might like there are several reasons why recording is not permitted.

First and foremost is the fact that a number of speakers do not want to lose control of where, when and how comments that they might make are presented.

It's also a question of simple economics. If talks are recorded - and subsequently passed on to those who have an interest hearing in a particular speaker, or learning more about a particular topic - then there is little need to pay to attend the Conference. (And because of the high overheads in staging OZTeK - or Eurotek - the event would no longer be economically viable.)

It's also questionable about how many people would actually pay for a recorded copy of a talk before it began to appear on internet outlets?

With best regards

Strikey

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

This is a problem that many have contemplated. Both sides of the coin have logical points and concerns.

As a member of the media, my job is to provide content to our readers / viewers. On the other hand, event holders need attendance to bring in the funds required to hold an event.

How can the two work closer and still obtain the ending goals?

1. Media channels deliver good content to our members
    2. Event holders receive larger attendance the held events

Thinking outside the box here...

Maybe a release of recorded events X months after a event in exchange for media promotion X months prior to an event?

Who else has any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Strike  View Original Post
    G'Day, Damien,

The question of filming the talks is a constantly recurring one, and while I appreciate that it's impossible to attend all of the presentations that one might like there are several reasons why recording is not permitted.

First and foremost is the fact that a number of speakers do not want to lose control of where, when and how comments that they might make are presented.

It's also a question of simple economics. If talks are recorded - and subsequently passed on to those who have an interest hearing in a particular speaker, or learning more about a particular topic - then there is little need to pay to attend the Conference. (And because of the high overheads in staging OZTeK - or Eurotek - the event would no longer be economically viable.)

It's also questionable about how many people would actually pay for a recorded copy of a talk before it began to appear on internet outlets?

With best regards

Strikey

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Strikey,

The reasons I asked about recording the sessions is that I go to several IT conferences for work each year that do this. It's quite a nice value add service in my view, though in fairness their comparitive cost to the Oztek conference is significantly greater.

Curt raises some good points I think, though Strikey has the trump card with respect to copyrighted content being distributed. I also suggest that the bulk (if not all) of the recorded content only be made available to those that attend the conference.

As an IT guy I know it's quite possible to deliver the recorded content and apply digital rights management to prevent piracy (within reason anyway), though this comes at a cost. As a consumer of information, I'd just like to the option to revisit the content being delivered at the conference as there is a lot to take in.

Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    Last edited by betti154; 9th November 2010 at 01:25. Reason: typo