+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ex-USS Oriskany has a sink date

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Re: ex-USS Oriskany has a sink date

The USS Lexington is in Corpus Christi- and is a similar layout as the Oriskany.
    I would suggest a visit to have a look around and the layout of the boat.
    I have walked the Lex three times and just walking the route to CIC, through lower decks to the engine room is a serious hike. Depending on what doors are open and similarities to the Lex you might vary the distance. The biggest thing that surprised me and others were the bulkheads and how they divided up the ship. Turn around a corner and run smack right into a bulkhead.

In closing I am not a wreck diver. Humping around the Lexington I noticed a few things.
    There were interesting wiring assemblies, ladders are at a step angles, and it’s a maze under the second flight deck. Good luck.

Andrew

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Try getting the GAs for the Essex-class carriers. If you are working with USN on this, you can get them from Beth Freese.
    You might want to have a couple guys go in first to run lines for you, in order to expedite ingress/egress of the camera/lighting team to the engine room. Without the GAs in front of me, you may likely get down there via the cutouts in the hangar deck which run along the centerline of the vessel. You can see these access points here:
    http://uwex.us/oriskany.htm

New Member Dell Motes is an unknown quantity at this point Dell Motes's Avatar

Hey Koz,
    I bet Barney could come up with a few people to "run some lines" for
    you..................

Ha, that would be a blast to run a big reel of knotted line to the engine room.